• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

11 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

One of those I used to know who wasn't bothered by mold   also ate raw hamburger!  Oh....I'm getting grossed out all over again.  :unsure:

Now that is dangerous :blink:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

4 hours ago, JoshuasonFlower said:

A precious little child made a video about penicillin and green mold and put it on You Tube. Look for, Penicillin, the Miracle Mold . It's 4 minutes long and very informative. Penicillin on moldy bread and certain fruits isn't bad. I wouldn't eat it but I do toss it to birds if it happens to be on bread.

Do you like Bleu (blue) Cheese? That's healthy mold cheese.

I'm not fond of it.  It's been years since I've had any. 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

I can't remember the last time I saw any of the green mold! Oh wait, it was the night before last night, the cheese I was going to put on my burgers has a lot of it. No big deal 80% of the cheese was not green, so I just ate that part.

Bread, especially fresh baked bagels (lack or preservatives I guess) also falls prey to this phenom. If there are little spots, I will pick them out, but sometimes it has invaded to far. I have noticed though, that sour dough bread can last a real long time in a refrigerator, so that is nice.

However, I had a package of sour dough English muffins, that I forgot in the car trunk, and left them there for maybe three months, before I rediscovered them. Unbelievably, not only were they not moldy, they were not dried out either.

I find it scarier, that that bread was that well preserved, that I am by any mold. What do they put in that to make it keep, formaldehyde or something?

Regarding the article in the OP, I read the author pronouncing their opinion about mold, but I do not recall them saying there was anything wrong with it. Calling something gross, does not make it bad. I think olives are exceedingly gross, and I am dis-inclined to eat things that have to be prepared in lye!

By the way, that green fuzz is not penicillin, penicillin is the name of the antibiotic, the mold name is penicillium, as every high school biology student was probably taught.

Of course, the two are related, and that is the main reason that I cut away the mold, I have a possible allergy to penicillin.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Taking Penicillin, especially when you have no need of it is how you develop allergy to it. Allergy by definition must include prior exposure, in order to result in  the hypersensitivity that is allergy.

A person could take  it again and again, even  in small doses, then one day  drop like a rock, having finally become so sensitive to it that they cannot  breath when exposed to it.

BTW- Here is a link to general info on allergy, best not ignore the smaller symptoms of allergy  building up. They can and will build to that last one which is fatal without immediate treatment.-

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/penicillin-allergy/basics/symptoms/CON-20024205

Edited by Neighbor

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Taking Penicillin, especially when you have no need of it is how you develop allergy to it. Allergy by definition must include prior exposure, in order to result in  the hypersensitivity that is allergy.

A person could take  it again and again, even  in small doses, then one day  drop like a rock, having finally become so sensitive to it that they cannot  breath when exposed to it.

BTW- Here is a link to general info on allergy, best not ignore the smaller symptoms of allergy  building up. They can and will build to that last one which is fatal without immediate treatment.-

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/penicillin-allergy/basics/symptoms/CON-20024205

that's kind of backward thinking considering allergy shots I'm taking.

However I know that it's that way with Latex also....    I'm so allergic to latex now that not even my dentist can use latex gloves without my lips and tongue swelling up.  I wore them many hours a day for a couple of decades before I went over the edge with it.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 hours ago, other one said:

However I know that it's that way with Latex also....    I'm so allergic to latex now that not even my dentist can use latex gloves without my lips and tongue swelling up.  I wore them many hours a day for a couple of decades before I went over the edge with it.

Hi, Sorry you suffer so.

..."the second time your body encounters a particular allergen, within a few minutes, your mast cells become activated and release a powerful cocktail of histamine, leukotrienes, and prostaglandins, which trigger the entire cascade of symptoms you associate with allergies: sneezing, runny nose, sore throat, hacking cough, itchy eyes, etc. 

Histamine can cause your airways to constrict, like with asthma, or cause blood vessels to become more permeable, leading to fluid leakage or hives. Leukotrienes cause hypersecretion of mucus, which you commonly experience as a runny nose or increased phlegm.".... 

From http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/04/18/allergy-season.aspx

20 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, Sorry you suffer so.

..."the second time your body encounters a particular allergen, within a few minutes, your mast cells become activated and release a powerful cocktail of histamine, leukotrienes, and prostaglandins, which trigger the entire cascade of symptoms you associate with allergies: sneezing, runny nose, sore throat, hacking cough, itchy eyes, etc. 

Histamine can cause your airways to constrict, like with asthma, or cause blood vessels to become more permeable, leading to fluid leakage or hives. Leukotrienes cause hypersecretion of mucus, which you commonly experience as a runny nose or increased phlegm.".... 

From http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/04/18/allergy-season.aspx

Supposedly the allergy shots desensitize my system to the allergens. An for me at least it works

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  311
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, other one said:

It is backward because it is in error. If the individual takes penicillin when they have no need of it their immune system builds a resistance to the properties in Penicillin. Penicillin with then be ineffective because they body having been inundated with Penicillin has had the immune system grow to repel the properties in Penicillin because the body having been over exposed to Penicillin, the immune system had dispatched phagocytes and often enough lymphocytes to copy the properties of the invading organism, in this case Penicillin, and built an immunity barrier to its effects.

This is something that happens with any foreign element introduced into the organic environment of the human organism. It's why regular prescriptions for what ails have to be changed over to something else, or a prescription is reformulated after years. Because the body immune system builds resistance to that which it identifies as threatening to the homeostasis of the individual.

46 minutes ago, JoshuasonFlower said:

It is backward because it is in error. If the individual takes penicillin when they have no need of it their immune system builds a resistance to the properties in Penicillin. Penicillin with then be ineffective because they body having been inundated with Penicillin has had the immune system grow to repel the properties in Penicillin because the body having been over exposed to Penicillin, the immune system had dispatched phagocytes and often enough lymphocytes to copy the properties of the invading organism, in this case Penicillin, and built an immunity barrier to its effects.

This is something that happens with any foreign element introduced into the organic environment of the human organism. It's why regular prescriptions for what ails have to be changed over to something else, or a prescription is reformulated after years. Because the body immune system builds resistance to that which it identifies as threatening to the homeostasis of the individual.

So how do my allergy shots work

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  311
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

They introduce the allergen in pure form into your immune system in highly diluted doses so that your immune system builds a defense to the irritant.