IGNORED

Should Women Be In Leadership Positions in Church?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

I believe God cares about everything and has set up everything, from the beginning for Christianity to flourish.  The roles of men and women were set at he time of Adam and Eve, as Eve was taken from man and formed to be his helper. Down through the pages of the Bible, there is not one reference in which women have ever had a leadership role on spiritual matters, except when the Judges ruled Israel. I have no way of telling how much power was given them, but as a judge I would think that they would be much the same as a prophet.

I have never seen any instance where the Bible includes women in a leadership position in spiritual services and I have never heard that in practice anywhere in the world except in the recent past

My point of veiw is that God directs the attention and focus of the leaders of the different churches as to the direction they need to take to best equip their congregation for what is to come. Not everyone in every congregation is the same and each and every one who attends that church has different needs that need to be attended to. If the pastor of that church is not favorable to God, in any way the parishioners will not get God's best through that pastor.

People talk all the time about, It's about time for this and that, but they are talking about what they think is appropriate and not what god thinks is appropriate.  If God wanted women to be the head of a church, there would already be a long history of that. Please don't tell me it is cultural, because culture is a thing of man and to date God's will has never been checked, under any circumstances by the will of men.

Guest Teditis

In the Greek the word that the KJV interprets as "servant" is "diakonos".

And the word Deacon derives from this word which also means servant.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  6

5 minutes ago, Abby-Joy said:
Rom 16:1
"I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:"

1249. diakonos
Strong's Concordance
diakonos: a servant, minister
Original Word: διάκονος, οῦ, ὁ, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine; Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: diakonos
Phonetic Spelling: (dee-ak'-on-os)
Short Definition: a waiter, servant, administrator
Definition: a waiter, servant; then of any one who performs any service, an administrator.
HELPS Word-studies

1249 diákonos (from 1223 /diá, "thoroughly" and konis, "dust") – properly, "thoroughly raise up dust by moving in a hurry, and so to minister" (WP, 1, 162); ministry (sacred service).

1249 /diákonos ("ministry") in the NT usually refers to the Lord inspiring His servants to carry out His plan for His people – i.e. as His "minister" (like a deacon serving Him in a local church).

[A. T. Robertson, "1249 (diákonos) properly means 'to kick up dust,' as one running an errand." 1249 (diákonos) is the root of the English terms, "diaconate, deacon."

This root (diakon-) is "probably connected with the verb diōkō, 'to hasten after, pursue' (perhaps originally said of a runner)" (Vine, Unger, White, NT, 147).]

Come on Abby- Joy, we both know Phoebe wasn't using her brain or spiritual gifts and talents in that church. She was making brownies and cleaning up after the mess the men had made when  they finished lunch.

Don't you see?????? She was called the SERVANT of God!  Servant.......think slave!  That girl worked her butt off, just like most women are expected to do today.   Nothing has changed that much. Oh, and leave all that important spiritual stuff to the men.  Father knows best, right? 

??‍♂️??

a playful spock

Someone slap me (just having fun Moderators, we all need a good laugh, right?) 

5 minutes ago, Giller said:

Who knows what Phebe did, but Spock you are way off base, in mocking this scripture.

Lighten up, amigo.  There is a time and a place for everything, even smiling. 

I bet even God smiled on that one. 

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

? Someone will neither live long or prosper ;)

1 minute ago, Abby-Joy said:

slap-1.gif............................ housewife-smiley.gif

Ouch!!!!  Did you have to do it SO hard, Abby- No Joy on this one! 

(But I do love the working woman visual. But that isn't my wife; those are my chores! Yikes!)

8 minutes ago, OldSchool2 said:

? Someone will neither live long or prosper ;)

Lol.  That one really brought a HUGE smile on my face. It made up for that hard slap Abby gave me. 

21 minutes ago, Abby-Joy said:

sorry4.gif  ...I enjoy the laughs.  Sometimes these posts turn into such heated debates... love, kindness, and laughter are a gift. God bless you!

Thanks Abby,

I have been debating this topic all week (Misogyny thread which closed today) and when I read Giller saying he didn't even believe Phoebe was a deacon......well, instead of going into attack mode, the other side came out......the cheveres side (Spanish for fun).  So I played along....Phoebe the SERVANT. So what would a servant do in a church? 

Anyhow, thanks for "getting me" and for letting me know you smiled. Hey, if we can't encourage one another in the Body here, what are we doing? 

Love going out your way, sister, ❤️

spock

1 hour ago, Spock said:

Lighten up, amigo.  There is a time and a place for everything, even smiling. 

I bet even God smiled on that one. 

Sarcasm is a biting weapon that is used to diminish the ideals of others. In this case it is those who have presented their case, some using scripture to back up their claims. God is not smiling at what is happening here because it has to do with understanding his will.

1 hour ago, Abby-Joy said:

slap-1.gif............................ housewife-smiley.gif

Is it appropriate to use the secular imagery of keeping women barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen to mook those who are merely backing up their understanding of Gods will.?

This place is loosing it's luster as far as a place for serious contemplation of God's design and turning into a theater for thumbing of the nose.