IGNORED

Should Women Be In Leadership Positions in Church?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  327
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

On 2017-4-23 at 4:53 AM, Annette said:

I love a number of ministries led by women and know of some amazing women speakers. A friend of mine told me that it is not right for women to have that roll, tries and if they do, they should not be surprised when a man does not respond as the leader may expect. Should it matter whether a man or tries to get a similar message across?

P.S. Thank you guys for your thoughts and input. I am not sure how to answer each of you, but have been reading through what you wrote. Blessings.

Women have the right, according to the Bible to be in a leadership position over other women, all over younger children and finally in evangelism where the gospel is presented to the lost! Women can also serve as deaconesses, which is not a leadership position like the elders / bishops: "I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church in Cenchreae." (Romans 16:1). Women, however, do not have the right to hold leadership positions over saved men and to teach them as elder so: "But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." (1st Timothy 2:12). On a final note, I do not think that this issue is quite as straightforward as the scriptures immediately present us. For in Jesus' day, as in Islamic society today, men and women did not mix (unless they were family), men and women could not even sit together, or evangelise together.

In the past I was involved in a street evangelism team, and one thing that I recall, was the numerous proclivity of sexual affairs within that street evangelism group and related associated evangelical churches, by supposedly born again Christians. It is my strong opinion that the model of the one-man-band pastor over a church is unbiblical, and I noted that in the street evangelism group, the leader was another religious autocrat who used his own position to cover up his own disgusting, and unchristian sexual conduct. Thus it is my opinion that, due to exceptional circumstances, woman's leadership in today's church is desperately needed, but over other women. I was never a leader in that street evangelism group, but if I had been, then there should have been two male leaders, thereby making it more difficult for a single leader to hush up his own sins and hypocrisy. However, there should also have been one women in leadership over the street evangelism group, I say this as an unmarried, middle aged man, as I ought not be placed in a position to confront, on my own, very young females for their acting inappropriately. That would ought to be the job for the female leadership team member, otherwise, promiscuous young females might encourage men such to fall.

So in summary, yes females ought to be in church leadership over other women, children and yes, due to our western cultural situation, even on a street evangelism team, they can also act as deacons, but they cannot be elders / bishops, as that role is reserved exclusively for men. However, due to dire situation today within so many evangelical fellowships, as men and women mix within such groups, unlike Jesus' day when the sexes were segregated, this calls for special circumstances where women, police other women's inappropriate conduct.

Edited by Limey_Bob

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

47 minutes ago, Limey_Bob said:

Women have the right, according to the Bible to be in a leadership position over other women, all over younger children and finally in evangelism where the gospel is presented to the lost! Women can also serve as deaconesses, which is not a leadership position like the elders / bishops: "I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church in Cenchreae." (Romans 16:1). Women, however, do not have the right to hold leadership positions over saved men and to teach them as elder so: "But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." (1st Timothy 2:12). On a final note, I do not think that this issue is quite as straightforward as the scriptures immediately present us. For in Jesus' day, as in Islamic society today, men and women did not mix (unless they were family), men and women could not even sit together, or evangelise together.

In the past I was involved in a street evangelism team, and one thing that I recall, was the numerous proclivity of sexual affairs within that street evangelism group and related associated evangelical churches, by supposedly born again Christians. It is my strong opinion that the model of the one-man-band pastor over a church is unbiblical, and I noted that in the street evangelism group, the leader was another religious autocrat who used his own position to cover up his own disgusting, and unchristian sexual conduct. Thus it is my opinion that, due to exceptional circumstances, woman's leadership in today's church is desperately needed, but over other women. I was never a leader in that street evangelism group, but if I had been, then there should have been two male leaders, thereby making it more difficult for a single leader to hush up his own sins and hypocrisy. However, there should also have been one women in leadership over the street evangelism group, I say this as an unmarried, middle aged man, as I ought not be placed in a position to confront, on my own, very young females for their acting inappropriately. That would ought to be the job for the female leadership team member, otherwise, promiscuous young females might encourage men such to fall.

So in summary, yes females ought to be in church leadership over other women, children and yes, due to our western cultural situation, even on a street evangelism team, they can also act as deacons, but they cannot be elders / bishops, as that role is reserved exclusively for men. However, due to dire situation today within so many evangelical fellowships, as men and women mix within such groups, unlike Jesus' day when the sexes were segregated, this calls for special circumstances where women, police other women's inappropriate conduct.

Thank you for the thoughtfulness and detail you have shared. I am sure that it has taken a while to respond and will be a great resource to come back to. I will definitely come back and read your answer. Blessings.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

4 hours ago, Limey_Bob said:

Husband wife teams may also be appropriate sometimes.  We had a man with a wonderful evangelical ministry, but his wife was the prayer warrior and they were most effective as a team.  Now he works for YWAM giving training seminars in evangelism for their many headquarters around the world. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  327
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

On 2017-5-15 at 3:49 AM, Willa said:

Husband wife teams may also be appropriate sometimes.  We had a man with a wonderful evangelical ministry, but his wife was the prayer warrior and they were most effective as a team.  Now he works for YWAM giving training seminars in evangelism for their many headquarters around the world. 

YWAM is occultic, merging Christianity with the New Age movement and the occult. As for husbands and wives leading fellowships, that isn't Biblical ... show me that in the Bible, Peter the apostle, was not a co-apostle together with his wife.

6 hours ago, Limey_Bob said:

YWAM is occultic, merging Christianity with the New Age movement and the occult. As for husbands and wives leading fellowships, that isn't Biblical ... show me that in the Bible, Peter the apostle, was not a co-apostle together with his wife.

The topic was street evangelism concerning husband and wife teems.  The person I referred to would never become involved in anything occult.  Perhaps in Europe there is a movement to that effect but not in North America. He would stay away from New Age as well.  We have strong teaching against that in our church and I know him personally.  So this is not a wide spread problem.  But I would like to know where the people involved in new age are trained since my granddaughter is applying to attend in Europe.  

1 minute ago, Willa said:

The topic was street evangelism concerning husband and wife teems.  The person I referred to would never become involved in anything occult.  Perhaps in Europe there is a movement to that effect but not in North America. He would stay away from New Age as well.  We have strong teaching against that in our church and I know him personally.  So this is not a wide spread problem.  But I would like to know where the people involved in new age are trained since my granddaughter is applying to attend in Europe.   

Pricilla and Aquilla are an example of a husband wife team.

On 5/14/2017 at 9:49 PM, Willa said:

Thanks for sharing this Willa.

Thank you :)

On 4/26/2017 at 5:41 PM, Willa said:

I agree that women can teach young boys, girls and women.  We have male leaders for middle and high school, and it is needed because middle school boys can be disruptive.  The boys need a male example at this time, and many don't have one at home.  I think a couple in leadership is optimal.  

Some women are excellent teachers.  Men used to request that they join the widows class because the Bible teacher was outstanding.  However, men should be chief pastors and elders.  I don't believe it is wrong for women to serve as deacons.  There is once place where Paul urges people to welcome a woman because she had been much help to him  The Greek word for servant is deacon.  

Rom 16:1 YLT  And I commend you to Phebe our sister -- being a ministrant of the assembly that is in Cenchrea --

Rom 16:1 NKJV I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church in Cenchrea,

He mentions women in other places, such as a couple, I think Pricilla and Aquilla who ministered to Apollo to teach him more correctly.  It was before a congregation that women were not to teach men or be in authority over men.  If there are no men it is evident that God may raise up a woman, especially in temporary situations till a man can be found.  But usually men appreciate and respect male leaders, so often a church with a female head pastor or bishop is a church dominated by women and few men show up, much less even fewer teenage boys.  So it is a dying church.   

I know of a missionary couple on the field in which the husband died and the wife stayed on at the request of the people.  My question is why weren't men being sent from them to a Bible School so that indigenous church leaders could take over?   That should have been the goal of missionaries who had been there for many years.  

God has used women powerfully.  These are a few I respect highly.

Amy Carmichael (1867 – 1951)
Hers is a true story of tenacity. Amy suffered with a chronic illness that initially held her back from doing missionary work, first in China, when she was rejected because of her health; then she was forced to cut short her missionary trip to Japan, and return home due to the same illness. But what others would see as disqualifying misfortune, God used to move her to the perfect place to fulfill her deep desire to serve God and others. She initially traveled to Bangalore, India for her health, but eventually began a ministry rescuing girls who were forced into prostitution by religious custom. Not only did she influence change in the lives of so many young women, and affect future work that extended to helping boys, but she also inspired other great missionaries like Jim and Elizabeth Elliott, who in turn went on to influence countless others.

Corrie Ten Boom (1892 – 1983)
“Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future that only He can see.” These are the words of one of the great heroes of the faith, Corrie ten Boom. Her upbringing to love God and to love others took root in a way, that when put to the test, resulted in ultimate sacrifice. Corrie and her family helped many Jews escape the Nazi Holocaust, and ultimately they were arrested and sent to a concentration camp, where they suffered at the hands of the Nazis. She saw and experienced horrific things there, but God gave her the courage and faith to forgive those who tortured and murdered those she loved. She survived the war and became a great witness for Christ throughout the rest of her life. Of all the honors from dignitaries and nations, none were as rewarding as the one she received when she finally saw the face of her Savior on her own birthday, April 15, 1983.

Joni Eareckson Tada (1949 to present)
Known around the world by her testimonial feature film, conferences, writing, music, radio, art work and television series, Joni Eareckson Tada speaks hope into thousands of lives—not only as an advocate to the disabled community but as an encouragement and counsel to many others. A diving accident in 1967 left her, then 17, a quadriplegic in a wheelchair. After two years of rehab, she overcame with new skills and a fresh determination to help others in similar situations. She founded “Joni and Friends” in 1979 to provide Christ-centered programs to special-needs families, as well as training to churches. Joni survived stage 3 breast cancer in 2010, yet keeps a very active ministry schedule. Her lifelong passion is to bring the Gospel to the world’s one billion people with disabilities.

Thank you for highlighting women through the years who have been known for their dedication and service. I have always loved Joni Eareckson and have been amazed how she has persevered despite what she has been through.

On 4/22/2017 at 11:11 PM, Churchmouse said:

Does it matter to God who claims to be that which he has ordained to lead his flock? I say yes. What does the Bible say about such things and what has been the the Tradition begun with Arron. God's laws aren't there to be stylish. They are there for a reason.

Hey Churchmouse, the comment that stood out to me from what you said is that God's laws aren't there to be stylish. If they were, that would be hard to keep up with, because as we all know new ideas come and go. Thank you for this reminder.