Starlight77

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

The Bible says there is only one unforgivable sin -- that's rejecting the call of the Holy Spirit to come to Christ and accept him in faith.

Yes, suicide is a sin.  It's not God's will.  And I'm sure the devil delights in it.  But it is no more unforgivable than any other sin that all of us commit.  On the day I die, I expect I will have committed sins that I have not specifically taken to the Lord and not specifically asked forgiveness for.  But that's okay because when I accepted Christ, he forgave ALL my sins, past, present and future.  It was a done deal at the cross. 

As others have rightly said, God is just.  He will not leave anybody who has accepted Christ's gift of salvation in faith out of the kingdom.  That includes those who commit suicide.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

14 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings WhollyGod'sChild

That's right,there is no changing course....so,it would be useless to petition God for the destination of this person .....I don't know if there are different degrees of hell(no pun intended)but if hell is where that choice lead to then they already sealed their fate.......  

I've often prayed"Lord have Mercy on their soul" ....  All we can do is ask,only Way to the Father is JESUS                                      With love-in Christ,Kwik

I will have to disagree. It's never "useless" to petition God for anything at anytime. yes the decision is made by the person. The judgment is just and true. But God is timeless, his love is greater then our fears and doubts. We call on him and ask of him he answers. Now the answer or decision is his alone and we may not like it, but he does consider our request. I know God has in mind what is to become of different sets of people and their destination depending on their life and choices. But till the day of physical judgment of sinners and redemption of the saints, our knowledge of his decision is still in limbo, Schrodinger's cat if you will. So to my point it is never a bad Idea to petition God weather it is going to effect change is in his hands. But all I know is we have ZERO clue the true heart and breadth of God's love and understanding.

Be blessed.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

Starlight,

Thank you for opening up this topic. It is a very sensitive and important one and I am enjoying the responses here. The only unforgiveable sin is "blasphemy of the Holy Spirit". Though it is close, I think that suicide falls short of that. I think God's grace can extend to cover that.

Yet we need to have more discussion. For a Christian to even consider suicide, they must be in tremendous trial and great stress. For them to see "no way out", there has to have been a terrible degradation of their faith at the very least. If a Christian renounces their faith, then commits suicide, I do not believe they would go to heaven. But such a terrible state of faith means that they have shut themselves off from the Body of Christ and the Word of God. This is why Hebrews tells us "forsake not the assembling of yourselves together..." I agree with those who have said they would not like to test God in this area. If anyone knows of someone in this degree of need, we all need to know so we can pray and intercede.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings WholyGod'schild

You are certainly entitled to disagree & I do not think I could have added anything more to what I have already said except for what No124get1952 has added to that in his very well worded reply....

I also said that I have prayed(& it has been "many times"),"LOrd Have Mercy on their soul".....Standing Firmly established in Gods Word helps me to Understand that what is Written is so,God is not a man that He can lie nor is He double minded,His decrees are are what they are and yet,I can ask ANYTHING of Him so with compassion & great sorrow,  I do ask........seems we may very well be saying the same thing,lol                                                        With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Oh, hey, I was gonna answer this but the first post is sorta gone? 

Anyways, Judas committed suicide after betraying Yeshua for arrest. People call Judas a betrayer but didn't he help Yeshua to fulfill his destiny on the cross? 

I think if someone takes their life it is selfish. They leave a life they could have had help coping with. And just because they didn't find anyone to help, if they did seek those people out and were turned away, doesn't mean there isn't suicide help lines available. 
Taking your own life is easy. Living your own life is the hard part. 

If you kill yourself I think we can never really know what happens. But when God is a merciful God and knows everything about our life I think he'll show mercy to the suicide. I just hope you don't take it that far so as to find out one way or the other. 

I hope you come back here too so that we know you're OK. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

The answer isn't very clear. I concur with notion of Martin Luther that for someone to commit suicide they had to be "overcome by devil" because to override God's programed instinct in us to "stay alive: fight or flight" requires a supernatural override. The best answer I've heard on this controversial subject is this, "I don't know if you go to hell if you commit suicide, but I do know if you do end up in hell you can't commit suicide to get out." This being meant to caution people not to attempt such an act because it is unclear and not covered in the Scriptures. As one theologian put it, "what the Bible is silent on, we are silent," and so speculation can be dangerous when there is no mention of such an incident in the accounts of the Apostles.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

4 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

The answer isn't very clear. I concur with notion of Martin Luther that for someone to commit suicide they had to be "overcome by devil" because to override God's programed instinct in us to "stay alive: fight or flight" requires a supernatural override. The best answer I've heard on this controversial subject is this, "I don't know if you go to hell if you commit suicide, but I do know if you do end up in hell you can't commit suicide to get out." This being meant to caution people not to attempt such an act because it is unclear and not covered in the Scriptures. As one theologian put it, "what the Bible is silent on, we are silent," and so speculation can be dangerous when there is no mention of such an incident in the accounts of the Apostles.

:mgdetective:

Sometimes

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants after you, God. Psalms 42:1 (World English Bible)

In The Heat Of Battle

Here is a trustworthy saying: If we died with him, we will also live with him;

if we endure, we will also reign with him.

If we disown him, he will also disown us;

if we are faithless, he remains faithful, for he cannot disown himself. 2 Timothy 2:11-13 (New International Version)

One Does Appear To Die

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me will live, even though he dies. And everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?” John 11:25-26 (Berean Study Bible)

Yet We Know

"There is no judgment against anyone who believes in him. But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in God's one and only Son. John 3:18 (New Living Translation)

Better

"Truly, truly, I tell you, he who hears my word, and believes him who sent me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life. John 5:24 (New Heart English Bible)

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 (King James Bible)

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160 (King James Bible)

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Inside Of My Gideon New Testament

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I'm not sure this question is really answerable.  Only God know the condition of the person's heart and mind at the time.  Suicide is a complicated matter and often contains things we don't really understand such as mental illness.  Sometimes prescription drugs can bring about side effects that can cause this kind of reaction.  I certainly am not going to cast aspersions on someone who has a mental illness or is under the influence of a side effect of a prescription drug etc.  I will leave that up to the only righteous judge.  He knows all the things we don't.  That being said I sure would not support someone committing suicide and tell them that it is ok to do so.  Committing suicide is like setting off a bomb strapped to your chest in the middle of a crowd.  The explosion damages people all around you and it's the ones closest to you that take the worst damage.  

And since I do not know for sure how God will judge I would rather err on the side of caution.  

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

rjs310, well said. Only the LORD can know the heart (Jeremiah 17:10, Mark 2:8, Acts 15:8). This is why except in church matters, I reserve judgement because I cannot possibly know someone's heart, "Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?" (Jesus, Matthew 7:1-3, Holy Bible), "on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus," (Romans 2:16, Holy Bible), "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?," (1 Corinthians 5:12, Holy Bible), "Therefore judge nothing before the proper time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God," (1 Corinthians 4:5, Holy Bible), and "God alone, who gave the law, is the Judge. He alone has the power to save or to destroy. So what right do you have to judge your neighbor?" (James 4:12, Holy Bible). I think the consensus of these scriptures is that we aren't the final judge, we may reprove and rebuke (2 Timoty 3:16), but ultimately the Alpha and Omega will decide because only He can read our thoughts and hearts (Mark 2:8 and Acts 15:8).

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Since the OP deleted their original post, I am moving this thread to the Doctrinal Forum so approval of replies are not required.