Wayne222

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,556
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  9

Does anyone have a opinion on karate ? .I know a lot of Christians believe yoga is wrong for diffrent reasons.  But what about karate. I still practice it ongoing. It helps my reflexes and keeps me fit too. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

Do I have some close experience rather than opinion?  Yes! 

I am pleased with the progress and discipline that can be learned by the very young as they pursue accomplishment in Tae Kwon Do. That includes the losses suffered too, when one's error or lack of discipline meets it's punishment as well. It is not all rewards, the lessons include learning of attributes suitable for Christians to learn, that are not all that commonly taught in the universe  that is the USA today.

"We" encourage our own young to learn. Some have competed nationally. It has helped each of them with other areas of life. It may not be inherently  "Christian", but it is the product of  a nation of people that have long been  receiving the Holy Spirit of God and do flourish, as the local churches of  our Lord grow there and also within the Korean communities in the USA.

My own Great Nephews and Nieces, learn.

A good local instructor can be operator of a far better after care program for school age children than say the rather sad confines of the YMCA run programs at public schools that seem to be a jungle of disorganization and also some bullying terror to a few kids. Our local best is run by a former  olympian, and former trainer of the Soul Korea police force.  The discipline there is very very beneficial for one family member today. 

It is also used as a missions tool by a few touring Christian  martial arts  experts.

Also see testimony at  https://thechristianmartialartist.wordpress.com/articles/thoughts-of-a-master-grandmaster-edward-b-sell/

Edited by Neighbor

Guest Teditis

I think it's, generally speaking, a fine form of exercise and doesn't conflict with Christian beliefs.

There is, however, a spiritual aspect that is taught by some schools of the disciplines that might

conflict... so the student of martial arts must be aware and draw a definite line in the sand. Most

that teach a spiritual aspect though, don't demand it as part of growth in the arts, rather they

say that the experts in the arts will govern their motivations of the martial aspects with a more

humanitarian view of life and therefore a strong Christian lifestyle will suit a proper balance in the

arts that will allow a Christian to excel.

That's been my take on the subject anyway...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

I know I do Tai Chi which focuses a lot on meditation and that type of thing. You know what I do when they say empty your mind and all that? I use that time to pray, meditate on what I read in God's Word and just focus on him for that time. But that is just what I do. I know what God's Word says and all the meditation mumbo jumbo is not something I have ascribe to even though I am practicing the art of tai chi. I remember my instructor tell me once that he had a student that could travel from place to place while meditating. I just rolled me eyes, sighed and continued on with my training. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I do the same or similar with Reiki. I pray for the Holy Spirit to gude me in my prayer as I prepare.

They are  tools, tools may be used in a manner that will glorify  our creator. They  may be used in defiance also, much in the same manner as a sacrifice brought before God may be  proper or improper, and the heart of the giver  set in God's will or against it.

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,556
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  9

15 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi,

Do I have some close experience rather than opinion?  Yes! 

I am pleased with the progress and discipline that can be learned by the very young as they pursue accomplishment in Tae Kwon Do. That includes the losses suffered too, when one's error or lack of discipline meets it's punishment as well. It is not all rewards, the lessons include learning of attributes suitable for Christians to learn, that are not all that commonly taught in the universe  that is the USA today.

"We" encourage our own young to learn. Some have competed nationally. It has helped each of them with other areas of life. It may not be inherently  "Christian", but it is the product of  a nation of people that have long been  receiving the Holy Spirit of God and do flourish, as the local churches of  our Lord grow there and also within the Korean communities in the USA.

My own Great Nephews and Nieces, learn.

A good local instructor can be operator of a far better after care program for school age children than say the rather sad confines of the YMCA run programs at public schools that seem to be a jungle of disorganization and also some bullying terror to a few kids. Our local best is run by a former  olympian, and former trainer of the Soul Korea police force.  The discipline there is very very beneficial for one family member today. 

It is also used as a missions tool by a few touring Christian  martial arts  experts.

Also see testimony at  https://thechristianmartialartist.wordpress.com/articles/thoughts-of-a-master-grandmaster-edward-b-sell/

Yes tae kwon do is very good. I practice shotokan. There very close in styles. I get so much out of it. The schools I been with is hardcore and teach Japanese budo.