• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Hi!

But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one.

I have question about this verse. How should it be applied in real life?

Does this mean that:
1) If such person comes to church we should not even say hello to him?
2) We should not talk to him?
3) If such person is our family member we should literally avoid eating with him even if such person is our own child?
4) If such person is our family member we should cut him off entirely, and not even respond his phone calls/letters/messages?
5) No one in the church/family is allowed to speak such person?

I saw a article that jehovah's witnesses are that extreme that they completely split up with and shun that family member, that parents literally abandon their kids, husband their wives and so on. Church completely ignores them and shuns them. It it well known to me that JWs interpret Bible their own way. But I was unable to find out what would be the correct interpretation of this (and other similar (2th3:14)) verse. To what extent do we as normal Christians have to go with it?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

On 4/23/2017 at 1:57 PM, LPTSTR said:

Hi!

Does this mean that:
3) If such person is our family member we should literally avoid eating with him even if such person is our own child?
4) If such person is our family member we should cut him off entirely, and not even respond his phone calls/letters/messages?

I saw a article that jehovah's witnesses are that extreme that they completely split up with and shun that family member, that parents literally abandon their kids, husband their wives and so on. Church completely ignores them and shuns them. It it well known to me that JWs interpret Bible their own way. But I was unable to find out what would be the correct interpretation of this (and other similar (2th3:14)) verse. To what extent do we as normal Christians have to go with it?

Corinth was in the southern part of Greece and that was where Paul established his church during the second missionary journey to the area. The Corinthians that he wrote to, which is why it is the epistles, which means letters, of first and second Corinthians , are his letters to the Corinthians of his church. 
Corinth being in Greece was surrounded by pagans and those who were carnal and also idolaters.  

Meanwhile, in the church itself there was a lot of strife. Don't be misled though in reading that passage and thinking, well why would Paul say this when Jesus himself ate with persons that were not considered worthy by his Apostles and all that? 

This is a great short article that you might enjoy and find helpful in understanding Paul's concern and guidance. 

I hope so anyway. 

The Church at Corinth by Edward Adams(Senior Lecturer, King's College London)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Ok, but what shall we do then? Shall we do steps 1-5 I described above or not? It is not clear from replies so far.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  311
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

33 minutes ago, LPTSTR said:

Ok, but what shall we do then? Shall we do steps 1-5 I described above or not? It is not clear from replies so far.

What did Jesus example in his ministry? If he exampled steps 1 through 5 where would the world be today? Did Jesus die for a select few? Or did he die to take the sins of the world upon himself that whosoever, whosoever, believes in him shall be saved?
Bigotry is not of Christ.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

3 minutes ago, JoshuasonFlower said:

What did Jesus example in his ministry? If he exampled steps 1 through 5 where would the world be today? Did Jesus die for a select few? Or did he die to take the sins of the world upon himself that whosoever, whosoever, believes in him shall be saved?
Bigotry is not of Christ.

Christ was not a bigot, yet He did take a strong stance against those who were the religious leaders of His day.  This is what Paul meant by "who bear the name brother".  Paul was not talking of sinners, whom we are not to judge.  He was speaking of those who claim to be a Christian.  Those we should judge with righteous judgement to help them stay in Him, which is being accountable to each other.

The question is a good one.  The problem is, too many include hatred in their actions instead of love.  For those who "bear the name of a brother" and continue in such sins need to be addressed, and in some circumstances, deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 1 Corinthians 5:5

Read all of 1 Corinthians 5 to get the whole jest of what Paul was saying.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  311
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

3 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Christ was not a bigot, yet He did take a strong stance against those who were the religious leaders of His day.  This is what Paul meant by "who bear the name brother".  Paul was not talking of sinners, whom we are not to judge.  He was speaking of those who claim to be a Christian.  Those we should judge with righteous judgement to help them stay in Him, which is being accountable to each other.

The question is a good one.  The problem is, too many include hatred in their actions instead of love.  For those who "bear the name of a brother" and continue in such sins need to be addressed, and in some circumstances, deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 1 Corinthians 5:5

Read all of 1 Corinthians 5 to get the whole jest of what Paul was saying.

To correct you on the first statement brother, I never said nor implied Christ was a bigot.

Yes, context is vital. All of 1 Corinthians 5 and Corinthians epistles themselves are important to understand Paul's ministry and demeanor. I do believe the context issue was part of that linked resource Lemur shared.

• 9 months later...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

On 4/23/2017 at 12:57 PM, LPTSTR said:

But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one.

Does this mean that:

(1) Yes, unless they came to repent, or already repented.

(2) Correct, unless they came to repent, or already repented.

(3) Yes, Correct (if they are adult in age), unless they repent, or already repented.

(4) Correct (if they are adult in age),  unless they repent, or already repented.

(5) Correct.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

that is severe but  my feeling is you are right

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

7 minutes ago, lokp said:

that is severe but  my feeling is you are right

It is in line with all Scripture and with the practice of ekklesia everywhere who honor YHVH'S WORD and abide in JESUS and follow JESUS.   Note the reason/ the purpose is to bring them to repentance, NOT to expel them forever nor to condemn them in judgment --- as written :  to keep the body pure/clean of wickedness,  purge the evil from within (or it grows worse; does not get better) .....

Only a few assemblies that are known in the public eye, (though this was years ago),  practice as YHVH'S WORD Says, and no one chose to remain shunned for long (they had so far all repented and returned to fellowship;  at least that was the claim). (a congregation of a few thousand in south america somewhere) ....

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

All this issue is that we most go back in the past. If we know the culture and the time that Paul wrote to the Colossians and the other churches that he has build,you will understand why he wrote those letters. It was a brand new believe and there are always people who fight the truth,just like today. Everytime you go into the scripture get in the shoes of those people,all of them. Only Jesus nobody can enter in his shoe, only in his footstep. So my friend remember Jesus is your master. Study the book of John specially chapter 5 for now. Remember, Jesus says love your enemy's and pray for the one who is after you. Give is more blessing than get. ❤

• Thumbs Up 1