• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

I am an electrical engineer by training. So when I was younger, I had to replace a dryer cable. When you buy the replacement cables, the lugs that go into the dryer connection are banded together with a metal band. Since I wasn't sure I had purchased the right cable (I found out that day that dryer cables and washer cables are different), I thought I would just make sure the other end of the dryer plug would fit the outlet.

What happened next was historic....a huge blue flash of lightning and the power in the entire neighborhood went out as those 3 lugs shorted to the metal band. It wasn't very funny then, but I get a hoot out of telling that story now...as Bugs Bunny would say, "boy, what a maroon!!!"

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,522
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

As a funeral director/cemeterian, dealing with a family in dispute with each other   over what to do with their mom's cremated remains:  During a long trying phone conversation with one daughter she asked of me, "Well where are you keeping moms cremated remains now, will they be safe?" I told her, before thinking- "Do not worry we are keeping them in our fire proof vault."

Well I nearly lost it myself as the other four funeral directors in the office went into hysterical laughter in the background. For years afterward it became a running punchline to most every "don't worry" situation at work- Don't worry, we will just put it in our fireproof vault! I have lived a long long time since that one, but none tops it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Who does not laugh at themselves? I do it so many times a day over silly things done. Too many to count. Too many times in life it is the serious moments when looking back we shake our heads and laugh.

I recall at my sister's  funeral one of the owner directors drove my car and in the cemetery hit the wrong button on the remote and set off the alarm all to his embarrassment. After the ceremony on opening the door for me he set it off again..I could not stop laughing...grateful for that moment I never let him forget it.....much to his chagrin.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

I learned to laugh at myself a long time ago.

I wanted to know... what the world thought was so funny.

:blink:

We got a lovely and thoughtful gift today from an office assistant at the veterinarian clinic where we had to put down our beloved Indiana Jones (beloved cat). 

She does ceramic paw impressions and sends them to grieving pet owners.

It was addressed to our home with my beloved wife's name and "Earl."

Guess I'm Earl.

So we cried for Indy and we laughed for Earl...

Me being the comic who beats a theme to death started referring to myself in the third person as Earl.

"Earl want to try this vegetable. Ewww, Earl doesn't like it." That sort of thing. Long as my beloved still laughs at it,

I guess... MY NAME IS EARL...

:laugh: