• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  505
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Last Daze said:

Nineveh is also referred to several times as the great city.  It depends on the context.

I don't think that the bodies of the two witnesses are going to lie in the square of a city that was destroyed by fire and likely uninhabited.  Also, Jerusalem is not a port city as is described in Revelation 18.

• And the ten horns which you saw, and the beast, these will hate the harlot and will make her desolate and naked, and will eat her flesh and will burn her up with fire.  Revelation 17:16

Based on Daniel 7, the little horn destroys three of the ten horns and then he persecutes the saints for 3.5 years so the destruction of the world's capital precedes the destruction of the three by the little horn.

That was God speaking even before Jerusalem existed. God destroyed Nineveh anyway, so it wasn't even a city, let alone a great city after that. John wrote Revelations and called Jerusalem the great city. If you don't believe him then you don't believe him. Would you say John was lying or do you think he made a mistake?   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,011
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  4

23 minutes ago, When Is Jesus Coming? said:

Would you say John was lying or do you think he made a mistake?   

I think you're posing a false dichotomy.  I'm not interested in dishonesty.

6 minutes ago, Last Daze said:

I think you're posing a false dichotomy.  I'm not interested in dishonesty.

The devil is the accuser, please don't accuse me like that. I simply asked what you think John meant when he wrote:

Revelation 17:18

The woman you saw is the great city that rules over the kings of the earth.”

Revelation 11:8

Their bodies will lie in the public square of the great city—which is figuratively called Sodom and Egypt—where also their Lord was crucified.

Was John correct or lying or made a mistake? It's a simple question, it has to be one of those three options. Are you afraid to answer? You don't have to answer of course but don't be rude about it. Jesus doesn't want His followers to be rude.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

43 minutes ago, When Is Jesus Coming? said:

Would you say John was lying or do you think he made a mistake?   

This is a perfect example of a false dichotomy.

5 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

This is a perfect example of a false dichotomy.

Okay so there is another option but it's  simple enough to express that. So what do you think John meant when he wrote:

Their bodies will lie in the public square of the great city—which is figuratively called Sodom and Egypt—where also their Lord was crucified.

Was John correct or lying or made a mistake? It's a simple question, it has to be one of those three options. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,011
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  4

12 minutes ago, When Is Jesus Coming? said:

The devil is the accuser, please don't accuse me like that. I simply asked what you think John meant when he wrote:

Was John correct or lying or made a mistake? It's a simple question, it has to be one of those three options. Are you afraid to answer? You don't have to answer of course but don't be rude about it. Jesus doesn't want His followers to be rude.  

Why accuse me of accusing you?  I stated what you clearly did.  Did you honestly want me to pick between the two options you gave me?  The devil is also the deceiver.  Please don't try to deceive me, or anyone else, by using false dichotomies like that.  It's called false for a reason.  Jesus doesn't want His followers to engage in deception.  Just because I called you on your fallacy doesn't mean I'm rude.

31 minutes ago, When Is Jesus Coming? said:

Was John correct or lying or made a mistake? It's a simple question, it has to be one of those three options. Are you afraid to answer?

No, it doesn't have to be one of those three options.  There is a "the great city" that reigns over the kings of the earth, and there is a "the great city" figuratively called Sodom and Egypt.  Trying to conflate the two just because they both contain the words "the great city" ignores the context in which they are called "great".  John never said they were the same city, he just used the term "the great city" to describe both.

Jerusalem is not Babylon the great.  It simply doesn't fit.

42 minutes ago, When Is Jesus Coming? said:

Was John correct or lying or made a mistake? It's a simple question, it has to be one of those three options. 

As others have and will in the future pointed out,   this attempt to support a false doctrine with false premises,

and at the same time worse - denying Jesus Word,  and at the same time going against the TOS on this site,

won't work. 

Instead of trying to defend something contrary to God, opposed to His Word,  seek from Him the Truth.  You might find it in the worthychristianlibrary.com btw,  which searching will also correct many other potential errors that you might have been tricked by.

9 minutes ago, Last Daze said:

Why accuse me of accusing you?  I stated what you clearly did.  Did you honestly want me to pick between the two options you gave me?  The devil is also the deceiver.  Please don't try to deceive me, or anyone else, by using false dichotomies like that.  It's called false for a reason.  Jesus doesn't want His followers to engage in deception.  Just because I called you on your fallacy doesn't mean I'm rude.

No, it doesn't have to be one of those three options.  There is a "the great city" that reigns over the kings of the earth, and there is a "the great city" figuratively called Sodom and Egypt.  Trying to conflate the two just because they both contain the words "the great city" ignores the context in which they are called "great".  John never said they were the same city, he just used the term "the great city" to describe both.

Jerusalem is not Babylon the great.  It simply doesn't fit.

At least you tried to answer the question this time. So what you're saying is: "There is a "the great city" that reigns over the kings of the earth, and there is a "the great city" figuratively called Sodom and Egypt." and "John never said they were the same city, he just used the term "the great city" to describe both."

Now the term great city John used is singular, not plural. So your  argument doesn't make grammatical sense, unless you are saying John made a grammatical error? Is that what you are say? Mmmm some how I think you're going to say no and give another non-nonsensical answer.   

7 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

As others have and will in the future pointed out,   this attempt to support a false doctrine with false premises,

and at the same time worse - denying Jesus Word,  and at the same time going against the TOS on this site,

won't work. 

Instead of trying to defend something contrary to God, opposed to His Word,  seek from Him the Truth.  You might find it in the worthychristianlibrary.com btw,  which searching will also correct many other potential errors that you might have been tricked by.

So you're not going to answer, doesn't bother me or God.

But you say "denying Jesus Word,  and at the same time going against the TOS on this site" which means you hold the Worthy TOS as being equal to the Bible, now that does bother God. But it still doesn't bother me because God is your judge not me and I'm not the one who has to live with your eternal fate.

Good luck. 

First, always first, God's Word, as Jesus says anyone who rejects His Apostles (in Scripture)  OR who rejects His Word (Scripture), rejects Him (Jesus).

Then,  subject to Jesus, subject to Scripture,  >>

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/terms

You may not post any material that is disrespectful of God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, or the Bible. This includes user names or anything in your profile, or sig. (Ex. 20:7)

So if anyone 'claims' John or Paul or any other Apostle is wrong,  they are not just in error, they are opposed to Jesus, 

and

here on this site,  they are opposed to the TOS.