IGNORED

Is it bad that I don't like Contemporary Christian Music?

holden92

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

Nay, contemporary worship has become very opaque, obscuring worship in generalized terms. When compared with Hymns like "A Might Fortress is Our God" (Luther) or even "Awesome God" (Rich Mullins), today's worship has a very repetitious sound without making much reference to Scripture or even God's Name. There are exceptions however, so lets not throw the proverbial baby out with the bath water.

I myself prefer contemporary worship for travel, while using hymns to hone in on the Holy Trinity's presence in contemplation, and I have once in while enjoyed some Gregorian Chant or Paul Wilbur.

In the end it is what edifies you in the Spirit, "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." (Philippians 4:8)

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

Its a really interesting question, it is a question that all Christians should be looking into at some stage. You mentioned Christian rock & that is precisely what it is, its rock, a lullaby is a lullaby & Jazz is Jazz. I have even heard so called Christian lyrics on heavy metal music . You should find out what effects music has in one's consciousness its really interesting, anything with a participated beat effects the frontal lobe of your consciousness which is your seat of reasoning & judgment  the frontal lobe is your area of spirituality.  Its also interesting that God seals his people in the foreheads where the frontal lobe is situated.

In one study half the subjects had to listen to rock music will the other half listened to classical for a period of months prior to an examination. All that listened to the classical did well, wile the other group didn't do as well & dropped below their normal performance.  Other studies showed an effect on the persons well being regardless to wether they liked the music or not. For example you may not like the classical but it showed a  beneficial effect, wile others may love their rock, heavy metal or what ever it ultimately is not beneficial to ones wellbeing. 

I'm sorry I can't give any references to the studies as it was years ago I looked into this subject. 

The fact you have a preference is not something you should be concerned about. I believe you preference to be a good one, I myself think its more in harmony with TRUE praise & worship. We are still finding Gods lost truths this long after the reformation.

God bless  

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Everyone is entitled to their musical tastes. I like contemporary Christian music to a point. The rollover rap style stuff isn't something I like. There's even a grunge style Christian music I've heard is out there. I don't look for that because I can't stand grunge noise. 

Anyway, I'm new and that's what I think. Welcome to you too. 

One of my contentions with contemporary worship is that they tend to abridge and leave out important details. There is popular song, "I am going down to river.. to the river." But there is no allusion or explanation that this river is God's River and He will be our fountain. Instead it almost sounds like a Irish mystical song (the ancient pagan Irish and Celts revered water as sacred and supernatural).

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

I guess Bach's Cantatas were contemporary at one time.

My concern isn't that the music is contemporary, rather that contemporary Christian music is straying from any details about the Lord Jesus and what we believe as Christians. I mean Rap and Rock songs by secularists and even Satanists contain expletives and detailed synopsis of their beliefs, no matter how crude and debase. But Christian music is afraid to say the Gospel and the details of our faith? There are exceptions, I know, I've heard some great songs that talk about Jesus, but usually its "I love Jesus," (which is great for intimate worship on Sunday), but what about who Jesus is? What if unbeliever tunes in, they aren't going to have any idea what we Christians believe and may jump to weird conclusions like the Roman citizens in Nero's reign did, where they that our love feasts were something other than simply the Communion Meal and House Meetings to worship, pray, and share the scroll of Scripture.

Some of better worship songs ironically are revivals of old hymns, "O praise Him, praise the Father, Praise the Son--, praise the Holy Spirit, three in one, O praise Him, alleluia! Alleluia!" That just told someone that the Trinity is Three yet one. They learned a tenet of faith and doctrine of the Trinity in a line.

Edited by Fidei Defensor

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

There is on particular song by the artist Hollyn. . . . Alone,  my grandkids always had me crank up the volume when it was on in the car.  Even tho the Lord is mentioned several times in it, I could easily see why a nonbeliever would not recognize it as a Christian song right away.  At one point, it even says that "You had me in Your Arms but I fell through The Grasp".  Now you know that isn't so.  He will never let go of us.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

I LOVE Contemporary Christian music!

5 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Oh I agree, there is a definite downgrade in devotion and depth in todays CCM compared to Bach's Cantatas or the 18th and 19th century hymns. And as you say there are a few good ones today, I think along the line of the Gettys.

I am a big fan of Handel's Messiah, my favorites are "Behold the Lamb! Behold the Lamb of God.. who takes away.. the sins of man," and of course the Hallejuah Chorus, "King of Kings! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Lord of Lords Hallelujah! Hallelujah!"

You know who is a good contemporary Christian band is Newsboys (the new one, not old band), they have songs like "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, holy, holy is his name," (from Revelation Song), and their Apostle's Creed abridged is awesome, "We believe in God the Father, we believe in Jesus Christ, we believe in Holy Spirit who is givin us new life, we believe in Crucifixion, we believed that He conquered death, we believe in Resurrection, and that He's coming back, coming back again." This is a very easy version of creed to remember, especially if you listen to beat.

I like all kinds of music. I think it depends on what you have an ear for. Some people love opera, some want to run their nails down a chalkboard when they listen to it..lol. I think it's all about personal tastes and how you respond to different sounds. ?????????