IGNORED

Is it bad that I don't like Contemporary Christian Music?

holden92

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/14/1992

I study music and artists as a hobby. I love some awful music that people would never listen too, along with music that I as a Christian probably shouldn't be listening too.  

Unfortunately, I just cannot for the life of me get into Contemporary Christian music. It's not the message, it's just the way most of the songs/singers sound. When it comes to Christ-centered music, I stick with hymns, or hymn-related songs. Contemporary Christian, especially Christian Rock, just sounds off to me.

Is this a bad thing?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Welcome Holden to Worthy!

Of course it's not bad if you don,t like that kind of music,nothing wrong with liking hymns,I love hymns,but we don,t hear them much anymore... Actually I like all kinds of good music....:)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  10/14/1992

Thank you for your kind words. :)

I suppose I'm asking because I attended a Christian college from 2011-2015, and just about everyone there knew the names of every Contemporary song and artist. I felt left in the dark, because when I'd get recommended something, I didn't like it. I shouldn't worry about others' opinions, but this is something I've always wondered about. 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

Welcome~!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

I agree with you. There is much NOT to like about Contemporary Christian Music. It is not that it is ungodly, which some of it is. Nor is it because some of it is doctrinally shaky; because some of it is almost blasphemy. I like music with a message and a "spirit". Much of CCM has no spirit and barely any message. I am not speaking of any artist or group in particular, but across the spectrum. Sadly, listening to Christian Music stations is very little different than listening to top 40 Rock or Country stations. You end up hearing the mostly the top 10 or so most popular songs currently.

I also agree with you that I listen to more than just Christian music. Music for me, must speak to my spirit. And there is secular music in some cases that does just that. My father liked "pretty" music. He was raised on Country and Western, but even he admitted one time that one of the Beatles' songs was pretty.

Anyway, my choice in music, like my faith, is my own. Jesus and I have a special, intimate relationship and part of that is the music that I listen to that keeps me in His presence.

6 hours ago, holden92 said:

Thank you for your kind words. :)

I suppose I'm asking because I attended a Christian college from 2011-2015, and just about everyone there knew the names of every Contemporary song and artist. I felt left in the dark, because when I'd get recommended something, I didn't like it. I shouldn't worry about others' opinions, but this is something I've always wondered about. 

I do understand where you're coming from as many of the contemporary song from today don't even mention the name of Jesus or God anymore but there are still some wich I love to listen too... 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

15 hours ago, holden92 said:

I study music and artists as a hobby. I love some awful music that people would never listen too, along with music that I as a Christian probably shouldn't be listening too.  

Unfortunately, I just cannot for the life of me get into Contemporary Christian music. It's not the message, it's just the way most of the songs/singers sound. When it comes to Christ-centered music, I stick with hymns, or hymn-related songs. Contemporary Christian, especially Christian Rock, just sounds off to me.

Is this a bad thing?

If it is we're bad together. ;)  Welcome to this site. I'm also the newbie here. 

See you around I hope, 

Lemur

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

There is a reason why they sell 31 flavors of ice cream at the ice cream store. People have differing tastes

as long as the core ingredient is Christ (The actual ice cream), its all good, and you can take your choice of flavors

Just avoid the frozen yogurt ;)

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

18 hours ago, holden92 said:

Is this a bad thing?

My absolutely favorite recorded song in the world is the 17 minute version of Inna Gotta Divita...     I have a digital edited version of that that lasts 3 and 1/2 hours....

1 minute ago, other one said:

My absolutely favorite recorded song in the world is the 17 minute version of Inna Gotta Divita...     I have a digital edited version of that that lasts 3 and 1/2 hours....

I will search for this on youtube, I never heard of  Inna Gotta Divita..