IGNORED

North Korea threatens to sink a U.S. aircraft carrier. Could they?

MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

This article lays out the situation pretty well.  Why a country like N.K. would make these stupid threats is beyond me.  They can't follow through on them so maybe the best strategy is to call their bluff?  Read on for clarity.....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-korea-threatens-sink-u-155652460.html

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

23 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

This article lays out the situation pretty well.  Why a country like N.K. would make these stupid threats is beyond me.  They can't follow through on them so maybe the best strategy is to call their bluff?  Read on for clarity.....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-korea-threatens-sink-u-155652460.html

If you are NK, what have you got to lose?  The only way they lose in this is if the US really starts a war with them.  Otherwise they come out of it being able to say they stood up to the US and we backed down.  That is why I am not a fan of sending all that firepower, it is a no win situation for the US.  We could start a war, but that does not seem like a winning move.  We can have our fleet float around, do some training and then leave.  But that does not seem like much of a win either.

Let me ask you, what is there to gain by the current bravado by the US?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I don't think it's bravado....   I think we are going to finally do something about the government there.

1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

If you are NK, what have you got to lose?  The only way they lose in this is if the US really starts a war with them.  Otherwise they come out of it being able to say they stood up to the US and we backed down.  That is why I am not a fan of sending all that firepower, it is a no win situation for the US.  We could start a war, but that does not seem like a winning move.  We can have our fleet float around, do some training and then leave.  But that does not seem like much of a win either.

IMO, this is not just about N. Korea.  It's about Iran, Syria, Russia and China as well.  It's not bravado at all; who do WE need to prove anything to?  I don't think Washington will start a war but I DO believe Kim is going to get something he didn't bargain for.  He is in a box he hasn't been in before and may have no way out.  Ideally, his own people will take him out.  Barring that, the next move is his and his military can be neutralized fairly quickly if need be. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Running Gator said:

Eighty years ago Winston Churchill was full of bravado and had eggs thrown at him because he was a war mongering nut for picking on the little country of Germany and its crazy little leader. No one wanted to go back to the trenches of the recently past war and they figured the loud Adolf didn't either. Until bombs started falling on London. And it was always almost to late until Hitler finally died. They were always on the verge of turning the war back in their favor. It was a close one to the buzzer. Most people don't realize the miracles along the way that gave the allies victory.

The only thing your comment is is a repeating of history and the main thing we repeat from history is we don't learn from history. I think it was Gore Vedal who said the last true statesman he knew in Washington was Dan Quail and they cut him off. He said he was brilliant, a statesman in the sense of not just knowing history but understanding the implications and human nature of history and learning from it having the ability to apply that knowledge, it's called wisdom. Doesn't mean it will always work but repeating history just gives the same outcomes. Sometimes the outcomes we want.

Currently NK is 18 to 36 months away from miniaturizing nukes and having the means to carry them long distance. That's the intell, true or not I don't know but that's what is being said. Don't let the hype in the media take your mind away from the goal of getting Kim to freeze his program. Getting rid of a nuclear NK isn't going to happen but the goal is to have him stop. He will have to win something and save face in coming out looking like the winner at least to his people. So let him win something.  This is not an easy situation but this guy cannot have that kind of fire power period. Kim somehow takes an out and eventually nagotiates or his line will not rule ever again. done deal, history Kim, you lose. It won't be good for many people. But better than having Japan, Alaska, Portland destroyed or having nukes in suitcases being sold to jihadists.

We either find he's bluffing, not having the nuke ability as we think, and go home. Or somehow his program must stop. 

Look, back in 99 Trump said he wouldn't let nukes become a reality in a state like Iran. Not sure if NK was in that chapter but Trump is so much more than his tweet affair for the press' ego. He's old school and many people hate that.

Edited by Zemke

6 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

IMO, this is not just about N. Korea.  It's about Iran, Syria, Russia and China as well.  It's not bravado at all; who do WE need to prove anything to?  I don't think Washington will start a war but I DO believe Kim is going to get something he didn't bargain for.  He is in a box he hasn't been in before and may have no way out.  Ideally, his own people will take him out.  Barring that, the next move is his and his military can be neutralized fairly quickly if need be. 

Some would say after 8 years of Obama we have a lot to prove to the world.   You cannot neutralize the leader and his military without starting a war.   They may not call it a war sort of like how Korea was just a conflict, but the outcome is the same.   If that happens it will be the US that fires the first round, just one more war we have no right to be fighting.

7 minutes ago, Zemke said:

Eighty years ago Winston Churchill was full of bravado and had eggs thrown at him because he was a war mongering nut for picking on the little country of Germany and it's crazy little leader. No one wanted to go back to the trenches of the recently past war and they figured the loud Adolf didn't either. Until bombs started falling on London. And it was always almost to late until Hitler finally died. They were always on the verge of turning the war back in their favor. It was a close one to the buzzer. Most people don't realize the miracles along the way that gave the allies victory.

The only thing your comment is is a repeating of history and the main thing we repeat from history is we don't learn from history. I think it was Gore Vedal who said the last true statesman he knew in Washington was Dan Quail and they cut him off. He said he was brilliant, a statesman in the sense of not just knowing history but understanding the implications and human nature of history and learning from it having the ability to apply that knowledge, it's called wisdom. Doesn't mean it will always work but repeating history just gives the same outcomes. Sometimes the outcomes we want.

Currently NK is 18 to 36 months away from miniaturizing nukes and having the means to carry them long distance. That's the intell, true or not I don't know but that's what is being said. Don't let the hype in the media take your mind away from the goal of getting Kim to freeze his program. Getting rid of a nuclear NK isn't going to happen but the goal is to have him stop. He will have to win something and save face in coming out looking like the winner at least to his people. So let him win something.  This is not an easy situation but this guy cannot have that kind of fire power period. Kim somehow takes an out and eventually nagotiates or his line will not rule ever again. done deal, history Kim, you lose. It won't be good for many people. But better than having Japan, Alaska, Portland destroyed or having nukes in suitcases being sold to jihadists.

We either find he's bluffing, not having the nuke ability as we think, and go home. Or somehow his program must stop. 

Look, back in 99 Trump said he wouldn't let nukes become a reality in a state like Iran. Not sure if NK was in that chapter but Trump is so much more than his tweet affair for the press' ego. He's old school and many people hate that.

I am evoking Godwins Law, this thread is now dead.   That is one of the faster Hitler evokings I have seen in some time! 

2 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Some would say after 8 years of Obama we have a lot to prove to the world.   You cannot neutralize the leader and his military without starting a war.   They may not call it a war sort of like how Korea was just a conflict, but the outcome is the same.   If that happens it will be the US that fires the first round, just one more war we have no right to be fighting.

Why be so negative all the time?  We can't stay a free and sovereign country if we sit on our hands and let threats build.  If Kim starts a was then he can be neutralized.  Something is going to happen there and it won't be the fault of the U.S. 

13 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

Why be so negative all the time? 

I am very negative about wars.  Just call me silly.

We can't stay a free and sovereign country if we sit on our hands and let threats build. 

What was the last country that England, or France or Germany or Norway or Sweden or ...well you get the idea attacked?  They all seem to be pretty free and sovereign.  Why is it that it is only the US that feels the need to invade someone every decade or so?  

What if Russia and China were acting the way we are, would you be cool with that?

If Kim starts a was then he can be neutralized. 

Yes he can, but not before he can do a lot of damage to the people of South Korea.  

Something is going to happen there and it won't be the fault of the U.S. 

That remains to be seen, who's fault it is.  

2 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

I am very negative about wars.  Just call me silly.

It's not silly to be negative about war.  Always taking a negative attitude about your own country IS.

When was the last country that England, or France or Germany or Norway or Sweden or ...well you get the idea attacked?  They all seem to be pretty free and sovereign.  Why is it that it is only the US that feels the need to invade someone every decade or so?  

They don't have to confront dictators when they have us to do it for them.  And, in the case of the Nordic countries, they just sat on their hands and let themselves be invaded by refugees so I'm not so sure they are 'free and sovereign' anymore.

What if Russia and China were acting the way we are, would you be cool with that?

China and Russia ARE both  flexing their military muscle all over the place.  Don't you read the news? Btw, what would YOU, Running Gator, do?  Wait?  Ask them nicely to stop?  What?

Yes he can, but not before he can do a lot of damage to the people of South Korea.  

That is a given and the S. Koreans know it.  It might be unavoidable.

That remains to be seen, who's fault it is.

Well that's a given as well; none of us can foretell the future.