IGNORED

North Korea threatens to sink a U.S. aircraft carrier. Could they?

MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

11 minutes ago, Churchmouse said:

I don't see the need to respond the blame America first ideology. If that is something you agree with then by all means do so.

But I am not espousing the the blame America first ideology, but I am also not espousing America can never do anything wrong ideology that you and the rest are. 

Take an honest look at the actions of the US and the actions of the rest of the world over the last 40 years and tell me who is the bigger bully than the US.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

45 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Is there a bigger bully in the world today than the US?

You and I are I believe roughly the same age, and from previous discussions I know we've both served - you in the Marines and myself in the Navy.

That stated - I take offense at that remark.  

I know the US has done a lot of things in the post WWII era that I disagree with - in addition hindsight is always 20/20.  VN for an example turned into a debacle - there was a point probably around '65/66 (when we saw how corrupt the South VN government was),  we should have found a graceful way to exit and cut our losses. My older sister had a boyfriend who was killed there in '67 the day after his 21st birthday (my wife and I visited his grave in Arlington Nat'l Cemetery a couple years ago).  

What a waste of his life - and thousands of other young men's lives.

And more recently the Iraq war.  Did anyone realize that taking out Saddam Hussein would - in that tribal culture - lead to the power vacuum that it did?  Did anyone think it wise to take out Iran's no. 1 enemy - thereby leaving it to do the mischief we've seen it do in the last 15 or so years?

So no, I'm not looking at things through rose colored glasses, nor do I blindly say 'my country right or wrong.'  Anyone who knows me knows that I was a big critic of the US invasion of Iraq.

But the reason I'm offended by your comment.  While I think the US has at time been led by some incompetent leaders (both political and military), I don't doubt that our stated goals were honorable.  Communism was (and still is) an evil system.  Anti-freedom; anti individual rights; atheistic; I could go on.  Wanting to stop its spread was not a bad thing - perhaps the way we went about it was.

Today it's radical Islam.  Some may say cynically that it's just the new 'bogey man' - but if so it is one that seems to use terrorism to achieve its ends.  And what problem does it have with countries like France or Belgium - who are not 'bullies' (as you might say).

To me a bully would (like Russia invading Ukraine) go into a neighboring country 'because it can'.  Bullies blow up innocent shoppers in malls because they can.  Bullies chop off Christian's heads because they can.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course.  I won't argue or attempt to change your mind.

It's just disappointing - especially coming from one 'who served.'

Blessings,

-Ed

Edited by SavedByGrace1981

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Going back to the OP:

"North Korea threatens to sink a U.S. aircraft carrier. Could they?"

Technically, they probably could. I mean, lobby more missiles at the carrier than they are able to deflect or shoot down or whatever (assuming NK's missiles have accurate enough targeting capabilities), any ship can be sunk.

The question is are they bold and arrogant enough to do something like that?

(Oh, yeah, and is George Soros funneling money to its leaders? [slight tongue in cheek])

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

1 minute ago, Running Gator said:

But I am not espousing the the blame America first ideology, but I am also not espousing America can never do anything wrong ideology that you and the rest are. 

Take an honest look at the actions of the US and the actions of the rest of the world over the last 40 years and tell me who is the bigger bully than the US.  

I've looked at more than just America honestly. I've also looked at those countries who happily stepped aside and waited in the sidelines to snear at the US for doing what they might have had to do if it weren't for the US.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,039
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

we are not bullies, we are the working military for the Illuminati....

9 minutes ago, other one said:

That I actually could buy into.

49 minutes ago, Churchmouse said:

I've looked at more than just America honestly. I've also looked at those countries who happily stepped aside and waited in the sidelines to snear at the US for doing what they might have had to do if it weren't for the US.

Well, since you have looked so honestly, please list the countries that have been bigger bullies over the last 40ish years than the US.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

12 minutes ago, other one said:

3 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

That I actually could buy into.

Perhaps a thread in CI or CT forums would best suit this conversation?  Let's get back to the OP please.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,039
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, OneLight said:

Perhaps a thread in CI or CT forums would best suit this conversation?

Oh I don't think so...   I've been treated with such disrespect here dealing with that subject I could not stand it with today's TOS....   I promised myself I would never go through that again.

1 hour ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

You and I are I believe roughly the same age, and from previous discussions I know we've both served - you in the Marines and myself in the Navy.

That stated - I take offense at that remark.  

I know the US has done a lot of things in the post WWII era that I disagree with - in addition hindsight is always 20/20.  VN for an example turned into a debacle - there was a point probably around '65/66 (when we saw how corrupt the South VN government was),  we should have found a graceful way to exit and cut our losses. My older sister had a boyfriend who was killed there in '67 the day after his 21st birthday (my wife and I visited his grave in Arlington Nat'l Cemetery a couple years ago).  

What a waste of his life - and thousands of other young men's lives.

So far we are on the same sheet! 

And more recently the Iraq war.  Did anyone realize that taking out Saddam Hussein would - in that tribal culture - lead to the power vacuum that it did?  Did anyone think it wise to take out Iran's no. 1 enemy - thereby leaving it to do the mischief we've seen it do in the last 15 or so years?

A lot of people knew that taking out Saddam would do this.   But Bush II and those pulling his strings thought they were smarter. 

But the reason I'm offended by your comment.  While I think the US has at time been led by some incompetent leaders (both political and military), I don't doubt that our stated goals were honorable.  Communism was (and still is) an evil system.  Anti-freedom; anti individual rights; atheistic; I could go on.  Wanting to stop its spread was not a bad thing - perhaps the way we went about it was.

Today it's radical Islam.  Some may say cynically that it's just the new 'bogey man' - but if so it is one that seems to use terrorism to achieve its ends.  And what problem does it have with countries like France or Belgium - who are not 'bullies' (as you might say).

To me a bully would (like Russia invading Ukraine) go into a neighboring country 'because it can'.  Bullies blow up innocent shoppers in malls because they can.  Bullies chop off Christian's heads because they can.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course.  I won't argue or attempt to change your mind.

It's just disappointing - especially coming from one 'who served.'

Blessings,

-Ed

I was thinking more along the lines of counties and not entities like "radical islam".  I was not comparing the US to such an entity and saying we are worse.  I am speaking of the actions of countries.  Invasions, overthrowing government, puppet governments, influencing elections and on and on.