IGNORED

North Korea threatens to sink a U.S. aircraft carrier. Could they?

MorningGlory

Guest shiloh357
Just now, Running Gator said:

It was a joke, but yes he did bring up Hitler.  For those unfamiliar with Godwin's Law.  

Godwin's law (or Godwin's rule of Hitler analogies) is an Internet adage which asserts that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches 1"[2][3]‍—‌that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or his deeds.

The 

Yes, he brought up Hitler, but not in a way that violates Godwin's law.  Not every reference to Hitler is a violation of that rule.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, shiloh357 said:

Yes, he brought up Hitler, but not in a way that violates Godwin's law.  Not every reference to Hitler is a violation of that rule.

He compared the situation with Kim Jong Un to that with Hitler, which is the exact definition of Godwin's Law....

Godwin's law (or Godwin's rule of Hitler analogies)[1][2] is an Internet adage which asserts that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches 1"[2][3]‍—‌that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or his deeds.

Guest shiloh357

Or it could be that Trump does nothing and NK does nothing (like the same nothing they have done for 50 years).  You left out that option.

I am aware of that option.   But the point is that IF we do nothing and they get the nuke and deploy it will be Trump's fault for not preempting.   The irrational mindset of Trump's critics is that if he preempts and stops N Korea from developing a nuke he is evil and failure.  If he does nothing, then he is evil and a failure.

As for the third option, given that the crazy fat kid is actively developing the nuke, there is every reason to take him seriously and the limp-wristed approach of the previous administration which is do nothing, irresponsible. 

7 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

That's the line....blame :America for everything.  Obama was good at it.

We are the biggest, baddest country on the block with the biggest, baddest military, nobody can make us do anything, thus we are responsible for our own actions.   There is nobody to blame for our actions but ourselves. 

1 minute ago, shiloh357 said:

I am aware of that option.   But the point is that IF we do nothing and they get the nuke and deploy it will be Trump's fault for not preempting.   The irrational mindset of Trump's critics is that if he preempts and stops N Korea from developing a nuke he is evil and failure.  If he does nothing, then he is evil and a failure.

As for the third option, given that the crazy fat kid is actively developing the nuke, there is every reason to take him seriously and the limp-wristed approach of the previous administration which is do nothing, irresponsible. 

I do not think that basing our foreign policy on what people might think IF something happens is a good way to go.

Guest shiloh357
2 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

He compared the situation with Kim Jong Un to that with Hitler, which is the exact definition of Godwin's Law....

Godwin's law (or Godwin's rule of Hitler analogies)[1][2] is an Internet adage which asserts that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches 1"[2][3]‍—‌that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or his deeds.

He was not making the kind of comparison that Godwin's law addresses.   Godwin's law address a debate where Hitler is used to attack the values of the opponent's argument in order to win the debate.   It's when Hitler is evoked pretty much as a verbal grenade against one's opponent that one has lost the debate.

Guest shiloh357
2 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

I do not think that basing our foreign policy on what people might think IF something happens is a good way to go.

I didn't say that we base our foreign policy on what people might think.   I said that that if Trump does nothing and a N Korean nuke is deployed, Trump will get the blame from the same people who are now saying we shouldn't do anything.   They will be the first to condemn Trump. 

4 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

He was not making the kind of comparison that Godwin's law addresses.   Godwin's law address a debate where Hitler is used to attack the values of the opponent's argument in order to win the debate.   It's when Hitler is evoked pretty much as a verbal grenade against one's opponent that one has lost the debate.

I posted what Godwin's law is twice.  IF you choose to add to that then you need to change the name to Shiloh's Law and leave Godwins' Law alone.   You do not get to change definitions just to win an argument, though we all know that you try often enough. 

Guest shiloh357

I posted what Godwin's law is twice.  IF you choose to add to that then you need to change the name to Shiloh's Law and leave Godwins' Law alone.   You do not get to change definitions just to win an argument, though we all know that you try often enough. 

Yes, but I am addressing the application of the law, not the definition of it.

3 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Yes, but I am addressing the application of the law, not the definition of it.

Is there anything, anything at all, you will not argue about?  :rofl: