IGNORED

Constantine and the RCC

Guest Judas Machabeus

Guest Judas Machabeus

I asked a question in another thread about why a poster thought the Roman Catholic Church was started after a certain period. I was curious because generally it's either the time of the reformation or Constantine. 

And general with the Constantine assertion comes the assertion that he did it to mix paganism with Chritianity because he had to find jobs for all those out of work pagan priest because Christianity was the state religion now. 

Since I didn't want to derail that thread I thought I would create a new thread. 

What proof is there that Constantine created the Roman Catholic Church?

Edited by Judas Machabeus

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Walter Martin on Roman Catholicism.

Edited by OneLight
Youtube Links are not allowed. Please create a thread in the video forum and link to it here if you want people to view the video.

Guest Judas Machabeus
24 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I would ask 'did the Church and State  wed under Constantine'?

Since when is the Church the Kingdom of God on this earth?

Okay, did the Church and state wed under Constantine?

I'm trying to understand where this idea of Constantine starting the Roman Catholic Church comes from. 

Guest Judas Machabeus
5 hours ago, JohnD said:

Walter Martin on Roman Catholicism.

I'm just heading to bed, I'll check out that video tomorrow. Thanks John

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,777
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, Yowm said:

I would ask 'did the Church and State  wed under Constantine'?

Since when is the Church the Kingdom of God on this earth?

I had similar questions in mind, but thanks to you, I posed to reflect, whether those questions were part of what the OP was asking, and I held my self for posting, thinking I may be derailing the thread and I did not . 

Then I realized that the OP was not asking for questions, about another subject, but he is looking for answers to his questions and not for someone to derail the thread, thank you again. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

This is a very good question because I too would like to know officially when did the Roman Catholic Name come into existence and when the first pope came into play.  I have believed it came into existence after Constantine, but if it came into existence, I'd like to see that research. 

I know a bunch of Bishops were ruling the churches from various cities but I am not aware of when the first Pope began ruling over all of the Bishops.  Again, I believe it happened after that Council of Nicaea in 323. I'd like to know if I am wrong on that.  ( I suppose I could google "first pope." )

The  Edict of Milan legalized Christianity in 313.[45] By 380, Christianity had become the state religion of the Roman Empire.[4

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Well, one might seek a Roman Catholic resource and read what  is declared there.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm

And for another resource and point of view see

Theodore Shoebat at http://shoebat.com/2013/09/21/constantine-create-catholic-church/

From my own perspective there is another issue; that being a universal or catholic church, and there being a RCC or Roman Catholic Church, the two not being the same thing.  So as I read I do have to watch  for descriptions of a catholic church versus the RCC, otherwise my  prejudice (  I believe to be an informed prejudice ) against the  popedom* causes me to miss points of excellent information and of interest. 

* The description borrowed from the writings and sermons of  Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Edited by Neighbor

Guest Judas Machabeus
43 minutes ago, Spock said:

This is a very good question because I too would like to know officially when did the Roman Catholic Name come into existence and when the first pope came into play.  I have believed it came into existence after Constantine, but if it came into existence, I'd like to see that research. 

I know a bunch of Bishops were ruling the churches from various cities but I am not aware of when the first Pope began ruling over all of the Bishops.  Again, I believe it happened after that Council of Nicaea in 323. I'd like to know if I am wrong on that.  ( I suppose I could google "first pope." )

The  Edict of Milan legalized Christianity in 313.[45] By 380, Christianity had become the state religion of the Roman Empire.[4

The Edict of Milan is often thrown out as being the document that proves Constantine made Christianity the state religion. But it's not. The edict of Milan ended the persecutions and recognizes Christianity as a legal religion. 

I don't know of any other 4th century documents that touch on this subject. I'm not saying they do not exisit, my knowledge on the subject is very limited. 

-----------------------------

As for the first man to be called "The Pope". I feel asleep to that YouTube video David posted and Dr. Martin points out (and I agree and heard this before) that the word pope comes from papa which is Italian for Father. All Bishops in the early Church were called this. The Pope is the Bishop of Rome. 

I will have to go back and re-read Clements letter to the Corinthians. But if memory serves me correct, in the letter it gives instruction to the Corinthian Church. So why would a Church with its own bishop listen to a bishop from Rome. Also this letter was held in such high regard it was considered inspired by some Churches. Again, I would have to do more reading in the subject, at this point it's rather vague. 

-----------------------------

I don't think anyone is going to think that I agree with the idea that Constantine started the Catholic Church. I want to understand were this idea comes from. So I'm looking for resource from people that believe this have used. 

Thanks to all that have contributed.

Guest Judas Machabeus
27 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Didn't Constantine make some ecclesiastic decisions?

Not that I know of, this is the point of this thread. Did he? I don't know, do you know what decisions he made? 

I understand that the Roman Empire was beginning to fall apart and the Arian heresy was spreading through the Church. Constantine wanted the dispute ended so he could consentrate on the Empire. And I also understand that he was siding with the Arians. They were declared heretics and Jesus humanity and divinity was declared dogma.

thats the closes to being involved in the Church that I know of. Can you give some examples of where Constantine made ecclesial decisions.