• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

cherry blossom.gif

I'm not active in one part of this community because there seems to be a lot of upset going on there. I thought I'd post this article link here in case anyone wanted to get to the bare bones of what appears to be in contention in the other part of Worthy Christian. 

It's a really long article but in my opinion of it even if someone approaches the study as I did and reads it in periods of time over the course of days, and just so as not to cross their eyes with all that writing on a lit Internet page, it is worth the time it takes. Because it seems like when we're all suppose to be Christians who love and hold dear Jesus Christ, we argue over who's church or denominations teachings concerning a certain set of beliefs are the one. And we seem to also be arguing , some of us anyway from what I can tell, that other peoples church, or denomination, are totally off and not of Christ at all. 

That's kinda mean. And even when Jesus corrected people he may have used flowery language, like calling them vipers, but he still loved them enough to set them straight. And after all aren't we all who are in the heart of Christ suppose to come at one another in that same love he has for us? 

This link below like I said may seem huge in the scope of an information page but it may help clear up what seems to be really passionate people taking sides on the topic of doctrine. 

Let me know what you think. Enjoy. I hope. 

Love ya, 

Lemur

http://www.masters-table.org/studies/doctrine.html

title-doctrine.png

Edited by lemurchampagne
link didn't post first time

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

If you sin against a christian its like sinning against Christ. 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  260
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

On 5/3/2017 at 3:35 PM, Absolem said:

If you sin against a christian its like sinning against Christ. 

I clicked on the link to read the posted article and saw your statement. Is there scripture that supports that? 

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

23 minutes ago, Happinessity said:

I clicked on the link to read the posted article and saw your statement. Is there scripture that supports that? 

1st Corinthians 8:12

But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.

Thank you for posting that. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Here's how I look at it:

There are primary doctrines:

The Trinity -- one God existing in three persons -- God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.  They are identical in essence and character as well as purpose.

Jesus came to earth as God Incarnate, born of a virgin, crucified, dead, rose on the third day and now sits at the right-hand of God in heaven.

Christ atoned for the sins of humankind and gives the gift of salvation to all those who accept it in faith.  Salvation cannot be earned.

Christ will return and set everything right at some point.

Then there are secondary doctrines -- things like baptism (infant vs. adult, sprinkling vs. immersion), and views of just when Christ will return (will there be a rapture and will Christ return before the tribulation, in the middle of it, after it?), etc.

Any churches that believe in and support the primary doctrines, no matter what denominational names they wear, are part and parcel of the Body of Christ.  But to get Jesus wrong is to get everything wrong.  That's where I draw the line.

When it comes to the secondary doctrines, we don't have to agree on them.  They have no bearing on the personhood of God or salvation. 

How does that sound? 

Did you get to read the article that's linked here yet? It's pretty extensive. Lots of other links at that site too. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Yes I did.  And I don't think we need to make it that complicated.  I offered a stripped-down, simplified list of primary and secondary doctrines.  The primary doctrines are key and cannot be altered or dismissed and are not debatable.  The secondary doctrines can vary from denomination to denomination.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2

Well that's the way to a chat kill isn't it? 

Let's move beyond that and see if we can be civil and keep this discussion interesting shall we? 

That is a great long article and I've taken my time since joining to read the link at the source. 

How about we begin here with this observation from the materials here? Jesus did not speak his own doctrine. See below where that is said. 

Let's see how Jesus used the term doctrine.
The Messiah condemned the doctrine of the Pharisees because it was of human origin. "Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying: 'These people draw near to Me with their mouth, and honor Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.'"(NKJ throughout) and in Mark 7:7-9. there is more added to this... "And in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.' "For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men-- the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do." And He said to them, "All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition." We see by these scriptures that Jesus, 1) revealed that we can worship Him in vain if we are putting forth doctrines of men as if they are the commandments of God. 2) The doctrines of men had to do with the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things they did like all the many ceremonies and clothing they wore.

The earliest true doctrine of the Christian church declared that Jesus was the Messiah sent from the Holy Father to deliver a message of the kingdom of God. That the Messiah is the eternal sacrifice sent from the Holy Father and He raised the Messiah from the dead so we could become children of God in the kingdom of God and that salvation could only be given by believing the first two facts above and the believer MUST have faith in the Messiah's Authority, Word, and Sacrifice. Along with these foundational Doctrines there is also the command by Jesus to baptize by His Authority and the believer would receive power from the Holy Spirit. The believer also has to accept that Jesus established a NEW Covenant and that the New Covenant is founded on the foundational doctrines along with the Ten Commandments.

These truths were presented as a clear fulfillment of the promises of the Old Testament as we find that hundreds of years before Jesus was born God informed Moses that He would send a Prophet like him from among their brethren. God stated that He would even give This Prophet the very words He would speak. Just who was this future prophet, and has this prophesy been fulfilled? Let's "read carefully" what God had to say about this Prophet and what this future prophet would do. 'I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him. 'And it shall be that whoever will not hear My words, which He speaks in My name, I will require it of him. Deut 18:18-19.

Jesus did not come speaking his own doctrine:
Yes brethren Jesus faithfully delivered the message our Holy Father gave Him and He never added to nor took away anything from that message. Jesus, a common man of His time was in the temple teaching the written word of God during the feast. The statement…"How does this Man know letters, having never studied?" shows that the Jews knew Jesus had not been taught by their educational institutions and were marveling at how He knew so much about the written word of God which at that time was the Old Testament. Did they truly get the meaning of the situation when He stated that what He spoke was not from Him but from the One that sent Him? Did they make the connection in Deut. 18:18?