• Days Won:  226

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I heard about this poor man. That was a fast settlement. I also heard the airline stock suffered because of this also. It's bad when people are scared to fly because the airline may end up not letting them for some arbitrary reason left to the crew to decide. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

He should have been arrested and fined. About the only reason he got away with this was a mixture of social media and news media bias.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

6 hours ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

He should have been arrested and fined. About the only reason he got away with this was a mixture of social media and news media bias.

The airline messed up and then law enforcement used excessive, excessive force.  I for one am happy for this use of social media, in days past nobody would have known and then nothing could have changed. 

3 hours ago, Running Gator said:

The airline messed up and then law enforcement used excessive, excessive force.  I for one am happy for this use of social media, in days past nobody would have known and then nothing could have changed. 

The airline did mess up when they overbooked...however, no excessive force was used. It wasn't even the airline's choice...they had to have that seat. He got chosen to leave...and asked to leave, and actually went with them initially then ran back into the plane to make a scene. At that point security had no choice but to physically remove him, as he was now a security risk. Federal law-not united airlines mandates that if you are asked to leave the plane you have to leave the plane. And if you refuse then physical force can be used to remove you. That's the law. This guy got away with it because in today's society people have no regard for the law, and only think about themselves, and they use social media to enable them to do what they want.

Like for example this... social media posts this horrible story that united physically removed a guy just so one of their employees could fly for free. Nevermind the fact the guy was first asked nicely and refused. And nevermind the fact the "employee" who was flying wasn't there for pleasure, they were a flight crew member for another flight, and federal law demanded they get the seat so they could make the flight they were supposed to be working on.

Had the airline not removed that person, that crew member wouldn't have made their flight, which means the plane they were supposed to working would have been delayed. Hence why united asked that guy to leave.

7 minutes ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

The airline did mess up when they overbooked...however, no excessive force was used. It wasn't even the airline's choice...they had to have that seat. He got chosen to leave...and asked to leave, and actually went with them initially then ran back into the plane to make a scene. At that point security had no choice but to physically remove him, as he was now a security risk. Federal law-not united airlines mandates that if you are asked to leave the plane you have to leave the plane. And if you refuse then physical force can be used to remove you. That's the law. This guy got away with it because in today's society people have no regard for the law, and only think about themselves, and they use social media to enable them to do what they want.

Like for example this... social media posts this horrible story that united physically removed a guy just so one of their employees could fly for free. Nevermind the fact the guy was first asked nicely and refused. And nevermind the fact the "employee" who was flying wasn't there for pleasure, they were a flight crew member for another flight, and federal law demanded they get the seat so they could make the flight they were supposed to be working on.

Had the airline not removed that person, that crew member wouldn't have made their flight, which means the plane they were supposed to working would have been delayed. Hence why united asked that guy to leave.

They did not "have to have that seat".  The drive from Chicago to Louisville is less than 4.5 hours.  They could have planned better and gotten the crew there in a different manner. 

It is a ridiculous standard that only the airlines get away with.   How well would it work if Appelbees came up to a customer and said "we are full and our cooks needs to eat before his shift, so we are kicking you out of your table so they can eat".  

Nobody would put up with it.  

Sometimes laws need to be stood up to in order to make changes.   It happened a lot in the 60s

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

3 hours ago, Running Gator said:

As I've said hundreds of times, hindsight is 20/20.  I'll wager that United Air Lines wishes they would have handled this situation differently than they did.

One of the better alternatives I heard on the radio shortly after this happened was this:

When the disgruntled passenger came back on the plane (after initially getting off) and returned to his seat, the flight crew should have asked ALL THE OTHER passengers to get off and return to the departure lounge.

And then announce we're not going anywhere until the gentleman gives up his seat.

See what peer pressure would do.

Blessings,

-Ed

25 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

They did not "have to have that seat".  The drive from Chicago to Louisville is less than 4.5 hours.  They could have planned better and gotten the crew there in a different manner. 

It is a ridiculous standard that only the airlines get away with.   How well would it work if Appelbees came up to a customer and said "we are full and our cooks needs to eat before his shift, so we are kicking you out of your table so they can eat".  

Nobody would put up with it.  

Sometimes laws need to be stood up to in order to make changes.   It happened a lot in the 60s

It may have been an emergency ...and why delay a flight at all when there's a plane going that way. Did I mention it was federal law that flight crews get priority seating? And I'm sorry but there is absolutely no excuse why anyone should out up a fight over a seat. Even if it was for a stupid reason. Any mature person would have just left when asked, and the minute you refuse you are breaking the law, and they should just throw the book at you.

Just now, The_Patriot2017 said:

It may have been an emergency ...and why delay a flight at all when there's a plane going that way. Did I mention it was federal law that flight crews get priority seating? And I'm sorry but there is absolutely no excuse why anyone should out up a fight over a seat. Even if it was for a stupid reason. Any mature person would have just left when asked, and the minute you refuse you are breaking the law, and they should just throw the book at you.

Well, that is a stupid federal law and needs to be challenged.  This guy did that and his actions will hopefully get those laws looked at. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

5 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

As I've said hundreds of times, hindsight is 20/20.  I'll wager that United Air Lines wishes they would have handled this situation differently than they did.

One of the better alternatives I heard on the radio shortly after this happened was this:

When the disgruntled passenger came back on the plane (after initially getting off) and returned to his seat, the flight crew should have asked ALL THE OTHER passengers to get off and return to the departure lounge.

And then announce we're not going anywhere until the gentleman gives up his seat.

See what peer pressure would do.

Blessings,

-Ed

That would have cost them money they already had in their hands. All the airlines cares about is filling seat and charging fees.  This is about a body who was taking up space they needed to fill, plain and simple.  He irritated the powers that be, because he didn't say moo and waddle off the flying cattle car, so that they could save another flying cattle car from being delayed elsewhere.

This is about their attitude, not his.