• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,204
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  4,329
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:  Ephesians 2:8

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1979

True

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Judas Machabeus said:

For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

http://biblehub.com/ephesians/2-10.htm

No one denies that works follow salvation and show that we are saved.  We deny that works play a part in either obtaining salvation or maintaining salvation.   Salvation is a 100% a work of God alone, with no mixture of human effort.

Guest Judas Machabeus
4 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

No one denies that works follow salvation and show that we are saved.  We deny that works play a part in either obtaining salvation or maintaining salvation.   Salvation is a 100% a work of God alone, with no mixture of human effort.

When you say works what are you talking about? Can you give an example? 

Guest shiloh357
3 hours ago, Judas Machabeus said:

When you say works what are you talking about? Can you give an example? 

Well in the RCC, they think you have to add works to Jesus sacrifice on the cross in order to merit salvation. From that vantage, since you have no way to check your merit savings account, you never know if you have done enough to merit salvation.   You will never know until you die.

Pauls say what the Roman Catholic could ever say, "You have been saved." (Eph. 2:8)   The Roman Catholic doesn't believe that verse, as they don't think they can know.  Trying to add our works to Christ's sacrifice is an attempt make us co-redeemers with Jesus, as if Jesus' sacrifice is not good enough.

Specifically anything that is done to be meritorious is what I am referring to.  Good works, and/or works of the law, anything done in an attempt to gain God's favor, or to earn access to heaven.

Guest Judas Machabeus
1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

Specifically anything that is done to be meritorious is what I am referring to.  Good works, and/or works of the law, anything done in an attempt to gain God's favor, or to earn access to heaven.

I asked you a question, what does works means to you and you go on for two paragraphs critzing the Catholic Church??

im asking YOU what YOU mean by works. I want to understand what you are referring to when you say things like Catholics believe in a works based salvation. What works are you talking about? Please I don't care what your views on the Catholic Church. We all know your views, I'm trying to understand you. Please help me understand what you are saying. 

When you say works, what are you talking about? Please give some examples to help me understand. 

Cheers

Guest BacKaran

If you're not born again, you won't understand.

Roman Catholics, (like I was)  my dad and siblings who still are, have no relationship with Jesus. They help with bake sales, donut sales, fish fries, festivals all to merit a little something to save them. They can't understand that no thing, nothing, but the blood of Jesus can save them. The same goes for all "christians" in the JWs, sda, Mormons, Islam, Buddhists etc.

God knows His own and His word tells us the Truth, only a remnant will remain true to Him.

I go to worship to praise God which pleases Him.

I don't go because I'm obligated to, have to or feel guilty if I don't go.

The Bible tells us to simply trust and obey, stand firm in Him and follow him only.  I hope this makes sense.

I don't do good works to be saved or get saved, I'm already saved and my new creation with the Holy Spirit compels me joyfully to serve Him in all I do. 

Edited by BacKaran

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

17 hours ago, Judas Machabeus said:

For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

http://biblehub.com/ephesians/2-10.htm

These works are done by the Spirit of Christ through us as we walk after the Spirit.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

The OP quoted one verse "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:".  Please do him the honor of discussing this and not create another works/salvation debate about the RCC.