Sign in to follow this  
rafter

empathetic gifting

the "empathetic gift" ????

Hi, not on a witch hunt here, but I have been reading the bible for 26 years, as long as i have been a christian.

the "empathetic gift" ????

Hi, not on a witch hunt here, but I have been reading the bible for 26 years, as long as i have been a christian. I have never seen this in the bible, but I know someone who claims they have this as a gift from God. I understand standing in the gap, I understand feeling someone else's burden, but is this a gift.

I am thankful for any enlightenment on this. This person says they can feel someone even miles away. Far away in fact.

My heart tells me something is a miss, but I maybe wrong. Is this new age stuff or it in fact biblical.

Please don't crucify anyone, answer with grace please. I am not trying to tear anyone down, just want answers.

Thank you, God bless all who read. IN Jesus Name amen....

I am new and I think I replied to this wrong. Mine is the ridiculously long reply but I may have done it in the wrong spot. sorry if I did. I am learning how to work this. I grew up in a world of technology but I will never understand how it truely works, I am 23, so I should know, I just understand people better. So whoops, but please read my lengthy reply and please ask questions. I am willing to answer to the best of my ability. My Dad has a masters in theology so I understand the lingo however I have been very very sick for the last few months so please forgive me if I sometimes need a question rephrased. Love and blessings

Hi, Kinipela!

I actually understand quite well what you are saying. I too feel the emotions others are feeling, but not as strongly as it seems you do. It's not so bad when you like the feelings, but yes it's a drag when you don't like the feelings.

But I am encouraged by your testimony of being able to minister to people because of this. I struggle with depression, and often cry out to the Lord about why He wants me here on earth, and if I could somehow see myself being useful to the Lord's work on earth I might find value in my existence here. It may sound weird, but in a way I think you are lucky - because you have figured out how to use this to help others. When I can tell someone is hurting emotionally, I don't have a clue what to do to help them.

In that vein, I would like to encourage you embrace this ministry calling the Lord has given you. Remember that healing the brokenhearted was one of Jesus' ministries. And there are many broken hearts in this world in need of the Lord's healing.

I know it's hard to be pulled by sadness all the time, but I have found that my best times of worship have been when I was in the most emotional pain. Use the pain to draw nearer to the Lord. :whistling:

I keep hearing prophets saying how much they hate being prophets. I would consider what you have a type of prophetic gift. The Bible doesn't say how the prophets knew the things they did - perhaps some of them were able to "feel" what was going on around them, too?

I do hope and pray that you can begin to be thankful from your heart for being used of the Lord to minister to the brokenhearted, and I pray that you will draw closer to the Lord as you find healing for the hurt you feel as you worship Him.

Jesus bless!

Hi, Kinipela!

I actually understand quite well what you are saying. I too feel the emotions others are feeling, but not as strongly as it seems you do. It's not so bad when you like the feelings, but yes it's a drag when you don't like the feelings.

But I am encouraged by your testimony of being able to minister to people because of this. I struggle with depression, and often cry out to the Lord about why He wants me here on earth, and if I could somehow see myself being useful to the Lord's work on earth I might find value in my existence here. It may sound weird, but in a way I think you are lucky - because you have figured out how to use this to help others. When I can tell someone is hurting emotionally, I don't have a clue what to do to help them.

In that vein, I would like to encourage you embrace this ministry calling the Lord has given you. Remember that healing the brokenhearted was one of Jesus' ministries. And there are many broken hearts in this world in need of the Lord's healing.

I know it's hard to be pulled by sadness all the time, but I have found that my best times of worship have been when I was in the most emotional pain. Use the pain to draw nearer to the Lord. :emot-highfive:

I keep hearing prophets saying how much they hate being prophets. I would consider what you have a type of prophetic gift. The Bible doesn't say how the prophets knew the things they did - perhaps some of them were able to "feel" what was going on around them, too?

I do hope and pray that you can begin to be thankful from your heart for being used of the Lord to minister to the brokenhearted, and I pray that you will draw closer to the Lord as you find healing for the hurt you feel as you worship Him.

Jesus bless!

Thank you for your words of encouragement! Let me give you some as well! I know that it can be overwhelming but I used to have no idea how to handle it either. Pray. It took me years to learn to accept this and longer how to use it and not let it just overwhelm me. Don't let how others feel get you down. I have a plaque that was given to me that I love!! "The will of God will never lead you where the grace of God cannot keep you." Thank you for blessing me with your words may you be blessed as well!! I will pray for you!! and I do intend to pray for you! Meet you someday in heaven sister and on that day I will give you a huge hug!

:laugh: For now - virtual hug!!

Interesting article on the matter:

We feel your pain: Extreme empaths

15 March 2010 by Helen Thomson

HORROR films are simply a disconcerting watch for the majority of us, but for Jane Barrett they are literally torturous. She writhes in agony whenever the actors on the screen feel pain. "When I see violence in films I have an extreme reaction," she says. "I simply have to close my eyes. I start to feel nauseous and have to breathe deeply."

She is just one of many people who suffer from a range of disorders that give rise to "extreme empathy". Some of these people, like Barrett, empathise so strongly with others that they experience the same physical feelings - whether it's the tickle of a feather or the cut of a knife. Others, who suffer from a disorder known as echopraxia, just can't help immediately imitating the actions of others, even in inappropriate situations.

-----

There is a general consensus that empathy-linked conditions arise from abnormalities in the common mechanisms for empathy found in all humans: although few of us experience sensations as powerful as Barrett's, we all wince at a brutal foul on the football field and feel compassion for someone experiencing grief. Many studies have suggested that our capacity for empathy arises from a specific group of neurons, labelled mirror neurons. First discovered in macaque monkeys, they are situated in and around the premotor cortex and parietal lobe - regions that span the top of the brain near the middle of the head. These neurons fire both when you perform an action and when you see someone else perform that action.

Read the rest here

I wonder if this is tied to the gift of discernment. Often I get feelings and knowledge that seem to oppress me. It usually involves other people. It’s like empathy, but I always thought it was either discernment or knowledge. 

The Lord has been merciful, @Tampered With. I understand why I was forbidden to broach the gifts of the Spirit for a while: I hadn't a clue so God demolished my doubt, leaving me speechless with wonder. It's a great idea to broach now because I'm bold enough to believe.

At times I become greatly burdened for the sake of others. This was where the Lord taught me how to listen to him, holding fast to discipline so that I would learn how to devote myself to the works of Christ and not the old man who passes away. I discovered the truth of the scripture which affirms the sin I still have, illustrating the reality we face walking through this world in mortal flesh.

As I write this I'm greatly burdened for the sake of another. I remain by their side because everyone deserves someone to look after them when they're sick and help them do the things they want to when they're feeling better. It's my honor and privilege to be that someone for one who struggles with terminal illness. Abandoned by their family, they would have no one else in this world … but the Lord loves them dearly for what they have done. When I had no food to eat, they gave me plenty.

When all I had was filthy and smelled horribly, they gave me clean clothes to wear. When I had no place to rest my head they provided me with me a home, giving me safety when I needed it most. They visited me when I was sick and called so I wouldn't be lonely. They told me how much they missed me even when my family abandoned me, giving this freely with no expectation of reward. 

And so it's my joy to give of this Life God gave to the very end. They'll never have to fear being abandoned or forgotten here in this desolate place because the Lord is pleased to provide for them. As I've written elsewhere I've had the opportunity to witness the Lord blessing others as he blesses me and so this burden is beautiful beyond words. I'm honored that God would bless me in such a way! That I should see these things and know of them while toiling in this world leaves me speechless. That I'm able to do this at all is to the glory of Christ!

I have many things to learn.    

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

The children of the devil I faced not that long ago had been victimizing this poor soul for years. When the Lord called I obeyed, walking to stand in front of them all. I watched as this loathsome bunch lost their nerve, running off to hurl silly threats at me from a great distance. They trouble the one I'm honored to watch over no more.

• Praying for You! 1

Sign in to follow this