• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Well a 2 piece swim suit covers up what is important and all that is shown is what is legal to be seen. Maybe that could be a stander to go by? What is legal to be seen. Just a thought.

100 years ago a 2 piece would have gotten you arrested. Even a one piece would have if the hips were riding too high. The problem here is that God's ideas of morality and modesty do not change its US, its OUR ideas of modesty that are being slowly flushed down the toilet. WE are the ones that change ideas of what is proper. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51

The bible actually says too that a woman should cover their hair when praying or prophesying. Some women choose to cover their heads all the time though it is not required of us. (I am sure you have all seen the mennonites or the Amish with their prairie bonnets or black skullcap things). 

If I had a choice I would wear a head scarf all the time myself were it not for the fear of sticking out like a sore thumb, being confused for a certain antichrist religion.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,073
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

49 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

I do not think that I have been ignoring the Bible's instruction on modesty. I only wish to point out that we all differ on what we consider to be modesty. 

That's very true Lady,  through the my career with Xerox I had to take service calls at nudist places and it seems that they really do accept the buff as a perfectly normal attire. In talking to some they tell me that one becomes accustom to it quickly and there is really little lusting going around.  They also said that if everyone went wound in the buff people would take better care of their bodies.  While I was never really inclined time join them I would have to agree that if we were all in the buff I would have taken much better care of my body.  One odd thing I noticed was that most of the people there were married couples and they said that no one they knew were unfaithful to their wives...  I wish I could say that about most of the churches I've been to.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

Well, perhaps the Church should consider going "full Muslim" and Christian women should all wear hijabs..... I jest. But even in Islam, the women are "objects". So the problem really is NOT the outer appearance, but the heart. Until we rely completely on Christ, both men and women have "darkness" in their hearts (read lust). NOTE: It is just as lustful to dress to draw lust as it is to allow yourself to look and lust...so both men AND women are covered here.

Nevertheless, scripture also says to avoid the appearance of evil, so I agree with modesty. But rather than make modesty a "law". Careful teaching and leading by example needs to be imparted in the church and repeated as necessary. My personal pet peeve is those (men and women) who wear jeans that have pre-cut holes in them.

As to the approaching of young women who are dressed immodestly, the procedure I have seen is two fold. A mature lady in leadership reaches out and provides instruction. If the offenders maintain their immodesty, then they meet with the pastor and his wife, never man and woman alone.

Many years ago, I visited Jimmy Swaggart's college. It was summertime, so I wore shorts as a man. They were not short/shorts or immodest. I was unaware when I got there that they had a dress code banning shorts. Before I got 100 yards on to the campus, I had been told of the dress code a hundred times. I had to hide out in the men's room until someone brought me some long pants. While I was there, I got told about the dress code another 100 times. It's funny now. I was terrified I was going to run into Jimmy and get rebuked by the man himself.

I don't think public nudity promotes or hurts infidelity...  it is the persons inner self that makes for unfaithfulness.  That very seldom comes at the start...  and as for pedophiles they are just as screwed up in the head with or without clothes.

I say we blame lack of control on clothes instead of our inner selves...  take young Islamic men who can't control themselves over ankles in Islamic countries.

The problem is not no clothes, it is a dark uncontrolled spirit.  But I am using this as a tool to get my point across, I don't really want us all in the buff.  We are just putting the causes of problems on the wrong things.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

6 minutes ago, other one said:

I don't think public nudity promotes or hurts infidelity...  it is the persons inner self that makes for unfaithfulness.  That very seldom comes at the start...  and as for pedophiles they are just as screwed up in the head with or without clothes.

I say we blame lack of control on clothes instead of our inner selves...  take young Islamic men who can't control themselves over ankles in Islamic countries.

The problem is not no clothes, it is a dark uncontrolled spirit.  But I am using this as a tool to get my point across, I don't really want us all in the buff.  We are just putting the causes of problems on the wrong things.

So the person who is dressed immodestly is totally innocent?

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:

So the person who is dressed immodestly is totally innocent?

Yes because that other person will develop those same thoughts sooner or later no matter what you wear.   If you carry this out we'd all be in a burka.  Men are not the only side of our species that are affected by the opposite sex..

My only concern for modest wear would be for the angels.....  apparently they have problems with long pretty hair.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

2 minutes ago, other one said:

Yes because that other person will develop those same thoughts sooner or later no matter what you wear.   If you carry this out we'd all be in a burka.  Men are not the only side of our species that are affected by the opposite sex..

My only concern for modest wear would be for the angels.....  apparently they have problems with long pretty hair.

I disagree. The person who is wearing the inappropriate clothing needs to see what they are doing is wrong. Assuming that the person is a Christian. The secular world is going to do whatever they want to do.

Guest shiloh357
3 minutes ago, other one said:

Yes because that other person will develop those same thoughts sooner or later no matter what you wear. 

Why enable it, though?   Yes, people will lust after someone even if they dress modestly.  But why feed the beast and and encourage such a thing or incite it, needlessly?   

3 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Why enable it, though?   Yes, people will lust after someone even if they dress modestly.  But why feed the beast and and encourage such a thing or incite it, needlessly?   

The beast will be encouraged anyway so why should we put the blame on something else. What we need to focus on is teaching people to control our hormones....  those hormones are going to be there no matter.  Then there are the outright perverts that are just perverts no matter.   So why put the blame on what someone wears.  They didn't create the pervert.