Fidei Defensor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

I was reading Revelation and it says there will be no more sea/ocean, "Then I saw "a new heaven and a new earth," for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea." (Revelation 21:1). We are told there will be a river in middle of the New Jerusalem (Revelation 22:1), although that could be allegorical. What are your feelings on there being no more ocean? I cannot be mad at Lord, He knows why, and for those who suffer from Thalassophobia and Aquaphobia, this will be a relief.

Some translations indicate that sea is just passing away like other parts of earth being destroyed by God's fire for renewal, "Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea," but other translations are adamentg that the sea no longer exists, "Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea no longer existed."

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

I've heard some that believe the reference to no more sea being related to the "sea of humanity".  I've also heard some speculate that the ocean as we know it today came into being because of the great flood.  Honestly, I don't have an opinion on the matter, maybe they are right and maybe they are wrong.  I've really never given much thought as to what eternity will be like, it doesn't matter to me.  What matters to me is that Jesus loves me, and He told us that He was going to prepare a place for us.  Whatever He has prepared, it will be far greater than I could imagine.

John 14  “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”

7 minutes ago, wingnut- said:

I've heard some that believe the reference to no more sea being related to the "sea of humanity".  I've also heard some speculate that the ocean as we know it today came into being because of the great flood.  Honestly, I don't have an opinion on the matter, maybe they are right and maybe they are wrong.  I've really never given much thought as to what eternity will be like, it doesn't matter to me.  What matters to me is that Jesus loves me, and He told us that He was going to prepare a place for us.  Whatever He has prepared, it will be far greater than I could imagine.

John 14  “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”

What debunks the sea of humanity is that afterwards it says, "The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it," (Revelation 21:24) and the sea was created by God and filled with fish, "And that is what happened. God made this space to separate the waters of the earth from the waters of the heavens," (Genesis 1:7) and "So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." (Genesis 1:21).

7 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

What debunks the sea of humanity is that afterwards it says, "The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it," (Revelation 21:24) and the sea was created by God and filled with fish, "And that is what happened. God made this space to separate the waters of the earth from the waters of the heavens," (Genesis 1:7) and "So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." (Genesis 1:21).

I wouldn't say that debunks the theory, because the difference is the nations in the new heaven and earth will not be walking in the flesh, but in their spiritual bodies.  I find that people typically derive their theories based on their overall view of the end times, which is why even the smallest things can be seen differently.  But as I said, I really don't concern myself with what the Lord has planned, it will be perfect. :)

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

30 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

What does Genesis have to do with Revelation?  I am not following your train of thought.

7 hours ago, OneLight said:

What does Genesis have to do with Revelation?  I am not following your train of thought.

My point was God made the sea, and the person I was responding to said a theory was the Flood created the oceans, but actually God made the sea before the Flood. It ties to Revelation, because God decides not to make a New Ocean and Sea, but removes it. I agree with another member that what awaits us in New Earth and New Jerusalem is greater than this world (Revealtion 21:1-53) and I argue that presence of Jesus and His love will be so encompassing that we won't notice anything missing, and there could be something better I've missed in Revelation.

4 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

My point was God made the sea, and the person I was responding to said a theory was the Flood created the oceans, but actually God made the sea before the Flood. It ties to Revelation, because God decides not to make a New Ocean and Sea, but removes it. I agree with another member that what awaits us in New Earth and New Jerusalem is greater than this world (Revealtion 21:1-53) and I argue that presence of Jesus and His love will be so encompassing that we won't notice anything missing, and there could be something better I've missed in Revelation.

Just to clarify what I meant in that earlier theory I had mentioned.  Those that hold to that theory don't believe the flood created the ocean, rather that the flood changed the ocean from before the flood.  In that instance as I recall they point to the shifting of the continents, and the belief that pre-flood was one land mass which separated on account of the water which sprang from below.  I think the major change would be according to their theory that the land was larger, and it was a single ocean.  As I said, not my theory so I really don't recall all the details, but it was an interesting read nonetheless.

God bless

52 minutes ago, wingnut- said:

Just to clarify what I meant in that earlier theory I had mentioned.  Those that hold to that theory don't believe the flood created the ocean, rather that the flood changed the ocean from before the flood.  In that instance as I recall they point to the shifting of the continents, and the belief that pre-flood was one land mass which separated on account of the water which sprang from below.  I think the major change would be according to their theory that the land was larger, and it was a single ocean.  As I said, not my theory so I really don't recall all the details, but it was an interesting read nonetheless.

God bless

My apologies for making it appear as your theory. That is a very interesting point, because the continents do look like they could connect like jigsaw puzzle and the Flood (which is recorded in all annuls of human history, even Chinese have it in their history) would be great explanation. It makes me wonder, if in Revelation the Lord abolishes and dissolves the Ocean, is this Him keeping his word to zenith, "establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth." (Genesis 9:11). Not that the Lord would need to flood anything in New Earth, with everyone being His followers and Saints. Just a thought, not doctrine I am exposing.

2 minutes ago, Yowm said:

In the new heaven and new earth no seas? Looks like then there won't be rain storms either :) ..and perhaps no heat or cold, or tree huggers frantically crying out Global Warming!! lol

Well the truth is, no matter how much we love the sea, we aren't made to live in it or explore it outside of technological advances. We need Oxygen, so the Sea would have always been left mysterious and undiscovered had man not invented submarines.

Interesting fact, Global Warming is going to happen, the catch, you can't stop it, "Next, the fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and it was given power to scorch the people with fire. They were scorched by the fierce heat, and they cursed the name of God who had power over these plagues. They did not repent and give him glory." (Revelation 16:8-9).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,098
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Seas or not I do hope there is an occasional thunderstorm to enjoy.....  not with tornadoes of course.