HisFirst

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/05/05/10/32/squashed-man-sues-airline-for-injuries

Legal action brought by a NSW man who was agonisingly crushed in his airline seat during a 14-hour journey is set to have repercussions for economy passengers.

Michael Anthony Taylor, 67, of Wollongong, is suing American Airlines after cabin staff rejected his pleas to change seat after he found himself squashed between two obese fellow travellers.

Mr Taylor was left with permanent back and neck injuries after the Sydney to Los Angeles flight during which most of his journey was spent “crouching, kneeling, bracing or standing”.(snip)

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

This is a problem, seats have gotten smaller and closer together and people have gotten larger and larger.   I have seen suggestions for airlines to charge by the pound of the flyer vice a standard price, but that does not solve the problem of the person stuck between two really large people. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,079
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

3 hours ago, Running Gator said:

This is a problem, seats have gotten smaller and closer together and people have gotten larger and larger.   I have seen suggestions for airlines to charge by the pound of the flyer vice a standard price, but that does not solve the problem of the person stuck between two really large people. 

Measure our butts and shoulders and if you hang over sell them two seats.  Or put them down with the animals..

BTW, I don't fly.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, other one said:

Measure our butts and shoulders and if you hang over sell them two seats.

They could a box like the one they use for carry ons. If you don't fit you pay for an extra seat

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

The only time I've witnessed a possible explosive situation was a large man across the isle refusing to be relocated as the couple inside were squished against the window. He had tats up his neck and was a big human being. They were able to find seats for the couple elsewhere and it calmed down.  I believe most people in the ten seat area were praying.

I'm only 6' 2" and not overweight and seem to fit just about the comfort limit. Glad to not be any bigger. My daughters and I flew on a small four seat across, not six, plane that was not updated for smaller seats to fit another row and they right away noticed the difference. It was only Minn to Chicago so short flight but it was nice.

33 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

They could a box like the one they use for carry ons. If you don't fit you pay for an extra seat

Sounds good to me

My problem is my long legs. With my back strait my knees hit the back of the seat in front of me so I literally can't put my knees together. It is very uncomfortable.  The only time I have flown since 1985 was to Hawaii last year and we paid $300 extra for extra leg room. 

Add to that I asked the flight engineer to pressurize the plane slowly so it didn't mess up my ears (which he did) so our flight was nice.  My wife's carry on setting off the explosive detector coming home wasn't so great, but the rest of the trip was pretty good.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  260
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

On 5/5/2017 at 2:26 AM, HisFirst said:

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/05/05/10/32/squashed-man-sues-airline-for-injuries

Legal action brought by a NSW man who was agonisingly crushed in his airline seat during a 14-hour journey is set to have repercussions for economy passengers.

Michael Anthony Taylor, 67, of Wollongong, is suing American Airlines after cabin staff rejected his pleas to change seat after he found himself squashed between two obese fellow travellers.

Mr Taylor was left with permanent back and neck injuries after the Sydney to Los Angeles flight during which most of his journey was spent “crouching, kneeling, bracing or standing”.(snip)

I thought morbidly obese persons were required to buy two seats if their girth would not fit into one. 

The airlines are becoming less and less accommodating to passengers. Their behavior as if people have no choice but to suffer them if they want to get somewhere fast. And that's if that customer is even allowed on the plane after they buy the ticket. 

This is where it's getting into the realm of the absurd. Some authority needs to step in and put the airlines on the right track. 

Family kicked off Delta flight over child's seat

Watch: Parents threatened with jail and children with foster care during confrontation on Delta flight

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

On 5/5/2017 at 10:41 AM, other one said:

Measure our butts and shoulders and if you hang over sell them two seats.  Or put them down with the animals..

BTW, I don't fly.

Absolutely great idea. 

U.S. | Wed Apr 15, 2009 | 5:29pm EDT

United Air to charge obese double on full flights

There are little creature cut-outs at theme parks telling all visitors they have to be at a certain height to ride the 2 minute ride they're going to stand in line for for hours.

Why not have an airline seat picture with a cutout at booking and at the boarding section of every airline. If a passenger is wide enough to make two people they should pay for both to sit comfortably on a flight. Everything has to be in consideration of payload on anything that flies. 

Super wide people shouldn't be able to crush other people between themselves. If I was walking and two people the size of Samoan wrestlers walked to each side of me and then ran together crushing me between , I could sue for damages. Why should I pay for that instead on an airliner just for the privilege of getting somewhere quicker than driving in my spacious by comparison car?

http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/none/airline-obesity-policies

Airline Obesity Policies

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

17 hours ago, Happinessity said:

I thought morbidly obese persons were required to buy two seats if their girth would not fit into one. 

The airlines are becoming less and less accommodating to passengers. Their behavior as if people have no choice but to suffer them if they want to get somewhere fast. And that's if that customer is even allowed on the plane after they buy the ticket. 

This is where it's getting into the realm of the absurd. Some authority needs to step in and put the airlines on the right track. 

Family kicked off Delta flight over child's seat

Watch: Parents threatened with jail and children with foster care during confrontation on Delta flight

Do you ever hope to read one day that an airline employee does this to someone who just happens to be a lawyer or really high powered attorney? 

Or maybe that's just me dreaming out my hat.