• Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

On 5/6/2017 at 1:51 AM, Absolem said:

I think I'm a prophet

This is very serious. You must be certain.

"But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in My name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die." - Deuteronomy 18:20

"when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him." - Deuteronomy 18:22

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

I agree with Joe and a few other that you may have been given a gift of unlearned knowledge concerning someone.  In some cases it is mixed with other gifts.  Only once was I ever used in such a way.  A woman whose husband was dying went forward to the alter for prayer.  God told me what she was praying about as well as a word of wisdom as to what she should do now and in the future. So I stood behind her and spoke these things.   She told me afterwards that I was spot on.  It totally amazed me.  It is always at risk of being really wrong and looking like a fool when we step out to do things like this.  Most often when people do it to me they have lied through their teeth!  

1Co 14:3  ESV On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation.  

The New Testament use of prophecy does not seem to include foretelling the future.  It might be to strengthen us so that we might endure the things the Bible has foretold us.  It might be to encourage us to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together as we see that day approaching.   It is most often directed to the congregation.   At least this is my limited understanding.

When our pastor was praying with close friends about applying to become a head pastor, since he was then a youth pastor in California, he was told to plant a church in the north under huge electrical towers.  It totally came about as described, and he had never been here before.  But this also may have been a word of wisdom, which I understand as guidance about what to do in a given situation.  Solomon chose to cut the baby in half so he could learn which woman claiming it was the mother who truly loved it and to whom it belonged.  It was wisdom as to how to solve the problem or what to do.  Unlearned wisdom and unlearned knowledge are spiritual gifts.  Prophecy is most often for the congregation.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

5 hours ago, Absolem said:

Like Deuteronomy 18:15-22?

I think like Willa pointed out in her post, there is a difference between the type of prophet spoken of in Deuteronomy versus the type of prophet that would exist now.  Scripture already contains the information we need, I don't see what could be added.

I Corinthians 14: 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.

From the New Testament perspective it would appear the gift of prophecy is a bit different than the type of prophet that would follow Moses, which we see in the Old Testament prophecies.  A prophet today would be more like an interpreter of the prophecy still to take place as opposed to having something new to add.  Some may disagree with that, but in my view scripture was completed with John's Revelation.

God bless

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

How many Spiritual gifts are therefor us to claim? There are nine gifts as follows, 1 Cor. 12:4-11.

1 Cor. 12: 4, Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
    5, And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
    6, And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
    7, But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
    8, For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
    9, To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
    10, To another the working of miracles; to another PROPHECY;  to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
    11, But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

They are the gifts of the Holy Spirit and He is the one who operates them in the lives of believers., V. 6. The purpose of these gifts is to enable all believers to do the works of Christ and to carry on the work that He began both to do and to teach (Acts 1:1-2; 12-15; 1 Cor. 1:7; Rom.12:3-8; 1 Cor. 12:4-31; 14:1-40; Heb. 2:3-4).

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

Hi Absolem

1 Corinthians 12:28   And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

First Christ chose his apostles to establish his church and who participated and organised that the gospels be spread throughout the earth after his death and resurrection.

Now secondly, seeing as John the Baptist was the last prophet who witnessed things prophesied under the Old Testament, Christ had to send some new prophets who would witness the New Testament.

Out of these apostles, Peter prophesied, James also, Jude, and Paul who was not one of the 12, but prophesied many things concerning the end times.  All these names are mentioned in the scriptures, so we know they are ordained of God. 

Now the last prophet sent was John who wrote Revelation.  The book is closed after this.

1 Corinthians 14:32   And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

The New Testament prophets are subject to the OT prophets.  They have the same message, the same spirit of God in them.  Their prophesies harmonise to complete the full plan of God, and are not in contradiction of one another.

And we know all their names, because all are mentioned in the scriptures.

Once the book of Revelation was finished by the last prophet John, the Word given to us is complete.  Nothing will change.  Now teachers can teach all that is written in it's entirety from Genesis to John (book of Revelation)

So now, in today's world, we can be given the spirit of prophecy, not to add anything written, but to understand what's already been written.  Only those that have the true testimony of Christ - can be given this special gift of understanding prophecy.

If we heed the words of all the prophets and apostles we become brethren with them and with Christ also.  These are all the children of God who are bound together by truth.  If we are hypocrites, not walking in love or the truth, we will be blocked from truth, ...but not knowing it.

The holy spirit is the "spirit of truth".  We will not be shown everything immediately, because the holy spirit has to grow.  Whilst we are walking in Christ, we will constantly go to the Word of God seeking instruction, and understanding.  We will make mistakes, and fall back at times, but if the heart is sincere, Christ will correct and fill us up with more truth measure by measure, ..and every man will get his own measure of knowledge and truth according to what he has put into God.  If we only put in a little, we only get back a little, but the more we invest, the more return (of truth)

1 Corinthians 3:8   Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

Matthew 10:41   He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.

Mark 4:24   And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given.

One thing I noticed is that the prophets never endorsed themselves, but went straight to the issue on what God has to say.  It was never about them, but about Gods message. 

If you think that God has called you to be a prophet and can't really describe it in words, then maybe I am thinking that he wants you to have this spirit of prophecy, where he can give you understanding of the prophesies, being subject to what the prophets spoke, and you can share with others. It is something that we should all covet, to have understanding of God's speech, a beautiful thing and have our faith backed with real substance, being able to answer all questions to anyone that asks, especially the hungry.

Revelation 19:10   And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

John 16:13   Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

So John of Revelation was the last prophet of the NT, because the word given to us is complete then,..there are no more books after this,.. and the next prophets to come are the 2 witnesses who will be reminding  Israel and the world of all the prophesies ignored, and who will reveal new things demonstrating their power that God is with them as we have already been told that their arrival is coming. 

And to sum it up, we are told that many false prophets will come, but the ones already sent, even though they have come and gone,.... God's word spoken through them is a living word, alive today and still full of power, and the names of those prophets who delivered God's Word are mentioned for us as proof that they are the ones we receive, because they are the ones sent by God.  Anyone else cannot give anything new, but can only confirm and repeat what the other prophets spake so the spirit is in harmony.

Edited by Sister
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

I can only operate in the gift it seems if someone prompts me or wants to hear from God. Its mostly always confirmation and encouragement in the Lord but they have to want it.

Guest shiloh357
3 minutes ago, Absolem said:

I can only operate in the gift it seems if someone prompts me or wants to hear from God. Its mostly always confirmation and encouragement in the Lord but they have to want it.

You had better make sure you are 100% correct in what you "prophesy"  because everything you claim to be from the Lord will what you are accountable to the Lord for saying.   And if you speak falsely in His Name, it isn't going to go well when you stand before the throne.   Don't be too quick to prophesy.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

5 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

You had better make sure you are 100% correct in what you "prophesy"  because everything you claim to be from the Lord will what you are accountable to the Lord for saying.   And if you speak falsely in His Name, it isn't going to go well when you stand before the throne.   Don't be too quick to prophesy

That's why the Lord made it where I only prophesy when the time calls for it. I would prophesy constantly thinking if I didn't I was going against God. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/6/2017 at 1:08 PM, Absolem said:

Well I know how I'm supposed to serve God. Hes shown me in dreams and visions. I just don't like calling myself a prophet. It causes problems. Its not something I wanted and it has caused me a lot of trouble. I just want to use whatever gift he's given me to help others.

Hey brother, 

i just happened across this post... I see it's been months since anyone's added to it, but if I may......

i have been in the same situation for a few years.  Yes, it is quite unnerving "seeing" things that others can't.  Don't let anyone try to convince you that you are not a prophet or a discerner of spirits/spiritual things.  

Years ago, I was part of a company communication study based on personality types, etc. The facilitator openly told everyone in the room to never lie to me because I could "feel" the deception.  I was determined to be an "intuitive."  Since I was the only one, things became so difficult for me that I had to leave... people got real uncomfortable around me.

the same happened a couple years ago, but in a church my family was attending.  I clearly knew that an unsuspecting person had brought some activity into the service, and I could "visualize" some of what was going on.  

I spoke with the pastor and he basically laughed at me, told me I was weird and deluded by satan, (some believe that Satan can give Christians visions but God can't... especially those who have not received this manifestation of the Spirit (gift).  

Turns out, I shouldn't have spoken to the pastor... he was the one who was deceiving the others.  He and and "his" church were gone within 6 months.

i knew when a friend was going to die, and had a vision of the moment he died... while I was praying with the Psalms.  

Ive had many experiences, but the ones that create anguish for me are the ones when I know someone has a demonic spirit with them... usually in public places, work, and even church.  

Pray always- find a place and a time to meet with God to openly discuss your calling.  Always draw on His strength- if you are away from God, Satan will attack from directions you'd never imagine.  

I've seen others who said there are no more prophets, but that comes from people without that gift.  The Bible warns not to think that your gift is invalid.  You are a source of spiritual discernment to others.  

Pick your battles wisely- some aren't meant to be fought and are just warnings or merely something God is showing you to teach you or develop your insight.

youve likely had some bizarre dreams, or even some that seem simple.  Pray about them to sort it out.  God speaks to prophets through their dreams... and, in my case, sometimes through a broken radio directing me to specific Scriptures.

hang in there brother.  Yours is a rough road, but keep His Spirit close by and you won't walk it alone.

Shalom

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  05/07/1981

On 5/5/2017 at 9:51 PM, Absolem said:

I think I get words of knowledge about people but I might just be really perceptive. How can you tell?

If you were a prophet you would know the full mystery of God.  Check Rev 10:7.  Not putting you down in any way.  But if God chooses you to be a prophet, if anything, remember this verse:

1 John 4:1-3

4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess that[a] Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.