original meaning of deck of cards

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

We were talking about the original meaning of a deck of cards in chat, I did read it before but can't find a link to post what it means ...does anybody know?

Somebody was asking what it means, I know all the cards have a meaning related to the devil..

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,705
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

actually there are several meanings to cards, applied by different groups. None of which actually made the cards, however. The origins of cards were way back with the chinese, and they have seen many face changes since then, with the modern images being put in place by the english, hence the royalty terms (kings, queens, jacks) etc. and they were used to denote royalty, the divination meanings was added by the occult at a later date. If your into divination, here are their meanings here https://www.metasymbology.com/symbols.html

Thanks ,I never read this but I was looking for a different explaination..

I know they even made a Christian explanation but I,m looking for the old one for our little friend who was asking about it..

Well, that's the only explanation I was able to find, only one I've ever seen other then the Christian meanings (I couldn't find those online but do recall someone telling me those as a kid) 

Keep in mind none if them were the "original" meanings. Playing Cards have been around for centuries, with different faces on them. The modern images came from England, and the cards meant exactly what's on them, the king was made to honor the king, the queen cards made to honor the queen, jacks to honor the jack, and the numbered cards were simply numbered cards. All the meanings were added at a later date.

I did find this site, with different meanings, however he doesn't cite his sources and he comes across as a bit kooky....so I personally wouldn't trust the credibility, but I'll post it and let you decide for yourself.

http://www.demonbuster.com/cards.html

Here is a christian application

https://bible.org/object-lesson-deck-cards

And some interesting reading about it from Snopes. Don't know how well it applies but I thought it was interesting.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/cards.asp

Guest Teditis

I've always heard that the modern deck of playing cards was derived from multiple sources and not just one, demonic source.

Many of the cards and even the suits seem to come from ancient decks of cards that were used for telling future/prophecy/divination

kinda' activities... things similar to a Tarot deck. But over the years people altered the use of the decks from occultism things to just

simple gaming activities. It's very similar to dice... that derived from casting "lots" and also reading tossed bones and stones to read

portents and similar things.

All in all, I think that todays decks of cards have no connections to spiritual things like they used to have.

I

6 hours ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

I did find this site, with different meanings, however he doesn't cite his sources and he comes across as a bit kooky....so I personally wouldn't trust the credibility, but I'll post it and let you decide for yourself.

http://www.demonbuster.com/cards.html

Here is a christian application

https://bible.org/object-lesson-deck-cards

And some interesting reading about it from Snopes. Don't know how well it applies but I thought it was interesting.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/cards.asp

When we  just became Christians we learned that playing cards was of the devil .. I don't play cards and don't  judge people who do but what should a Christian do? Would it be OK to play cards? I would appreciate more input from more people.. It's interested that it came up in chat yeasterday~~

2 minutes ago, angels4u said:

I

When we  just became Christians we learned that playing cards was of the devil .. I don't play cards and don't  judge people who do but what should a Christian do? Would it be OK to play cards? I would appreciate more input from more people.. It's interested that it came up in chat yeasterday~~

Honestly, I've heard people say that to, but realistically I can't find any biblical reason against playing most cards. Historically cards were used for a great many things, even before the modern card designs, from gambling to divination to just playing. 

As far as the card images like I said from my research, did not originate with satanic origins, the face values were assigned to give homeage to British royalty. Any "satanic" meanings, as far as I can tell were added after the fact. 

And most card games today, from simple games such as go fish and Egyptian rat killer to your more advanced games such as poker, are just that, games. They're not satanic by any stretch of the imagination, and as far as I can tell the vast majority of those who tell you to avoid them have more to do with "tradition" then any kind of biblical reason.

The tradition, may have stemmed from a couple things, one at the time it got started they may have been used more for divination, but more then likely it had to do with at the time they were involved primarily in gambling (there wernt many card games that didn't involve gambling 200 years ago) and to the church even a couple centuries ago, gambling and anything associated with gambling was considered the work of the devil, on the same level as prostitution and witchcraft.

Of course today card games are widespread, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of them, and there is just as many that don't involve any kind of gambling whatsoever, and its even fairly common to find games such as Texas hold em and 5 card stud, games that are well known for gambling being played with no money changing hands.

I myself play Texas hold em fairly regularly. I never play for money or use real money. To me its just a game, no different then chess or checkers. And I can find no logical or Biblical reason not to.

If you are curious I'm always looking for people to play with, there are online free card game sites where I could teach you how to play so you can get a feel for it yourself (no gambling of course, just cards)

Of course, if it doesn't feel right for you to do so, then don't. It's not the end of the world. I don't think it's a sin to play cards-or not to, as long as your not gambling or using them for divination.

And keep in mind just because satanists use something it doesn't make it evil satanists use candles to, however that doesn't make candles evil or mean that candles were made by them.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I really could care less.  I don't know and don't want to know

Tit 1:15  To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but even their mind and conscience are defiled.