IGNORED

The Shroud of Turin, The True Cross, The Holy Grail, The Lance, The Ark of Covenant and Other Relics

Guest Judas Machabeus

There's so much symbolism and imagery in the book of revelation, but that verse seems to be pretty clear though.

Oh oh I just thought of something to add to the list. How about the uncorruptables. Those that have died and have never decomposed. 

Theres also Eucharist miracles where bread and wine have changed to flesh and blood. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

1 hour ago, Judas Machabeus said:

There's so much symbolism and imagery in the book of revelation, but that verse seems to be pretty clear though.

Oh oh I just thought of something to add to the list. How about the uncorruptables. Those that have died and have never decomposed. 

Theres also Eucharist miracles where bread and wine have changed to flesh and blood. 

I would agree, here the Revelation is plain and clear.

I think I've seen uncorruptables, don't they have gems for eyes? Rather ghoulish and disturbing don't you think?

The Nails of Christ's crucifixion (purported to be three) are relics, as our Cat-o-nine tails flails used to scourge him (John 19:1 NLT).

Guest Judas Machabeus
18 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

I think I've seen uncorruptables, don't they have gems for eyes? Rather ghoulish and disturbing don't you think?

Don't know about the eyes. In our modern age the idea of relics can seem ghoulish when they're the remains of a person. 

Some pretty nonpious things have been done to human remains because of fighting over relics amongst Holy Orders. 

Although this isn't relic related it does go to show that still today pride can get the better of Holy men still today. As the story goes (which means from what ive heard/ can remeber) Venerable Fulton Sheen's case for canonization is being held up over an argument between the Chicago diocese and the New York diocese. They both claim he belongs to the respective diocese. I believe he was born in Chicago and was the Bishop of New York. But because of pride the Vatican has put his case on hold till the dispute is settled. SMH

Edited by Judas Machabeus

1 minute ago, Judas Machabeus said:

Don't know about the eyes. In our modern age the idea of relics can seem ghoulish when they're the remains of a person. 

So pretty nonpious things have been done to human remains because of fighting over relics amongst Holy Orders. 

Although this isn't relic related it does go to show that still today pride can get the better of Holy men still today. As the story goes (which means from what ive heard/ can remeber) Venerable Fulton Sheen's case for canonization is being held up over an argument between the Chicago diocese and the New York diocese. They both claim he belongs to the respective diocese. I believe he was born in Chicago and was the Bishop of New York. But because of pride the Vatican has put his case on hold till the dispute is settled. SMH

Desecrating holy sites in my book is terrible. I understand the holy orders wanted relics, but please, leave the burial places be. We tend to view most monks are pious and pure (unless you read Decameron), but the truth is that is why the Cistericans were created, because the old Benedictines were lax and decadent, and the same was with Francis of Assisi he saw the holy orders getting greedy, gluttonous, and grandiose. I never  forget, when looking at the Crucifix from 12th century, Francis heard "Reform my church." 

Holy relics tend to make us Protestants skittish, but I see them less as talisman full of merit and more as tangible signs that Christ and his disciples where here. As you said in previous post, they aren't objects to be worshipped but to remind us and fix our thoughts upon the Lord who touched them and used them in His Passion, Resurrection, and beyond. I must confess the Crucifix is a great comfort to me, and Luther approved, but his approval isn't necessary, Paul said "I preach Christ and Him crucified," (1 Corinthians 2:2) and "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." (Galatians 6:14). Of course we believe Christ is Risen, but the Crucified Christ invokes in hearts of man the sheer immensity of God's love, God came and died for our sins, no other god (angel) or being has lowered themselves and suffered a criminal's death for Creation, only the One True God Jesus Christ who is of the Trinity: In Nomine et Patris et spirit Fili, et Spirtius Sancti Amen.

While I have always enjoyed the Graal Legends (I wrote one and published it on Amazon), I have become partial to the Shrouds and Spear of late.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

Our faith should not rely on relics but on God's word.

Guest shiloh357
6 hours ago, Judas Machabeus said:

You don't really believe those claims, do you?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

20 hours ago, Judas Machabeus said:

I would disagree and so does scriputre. 

Acts 5:15

15 so that they even carried out the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and pallets, that as Peter came by at least his shadow might fall on some of them. 

Again this is what God would call a special miracle. A one time thing never to be repeated. And Peter wasnt DEAD

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

17 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Indeed, for Paul even had handkerchiefs sent, "God did extraordinary miracles through the hands of Paul. so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them." (Acts 19:11-12).

My response to that would be the same as my last post. Miracles not meant to be repeated.