• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

1 hour ago, OneLight said:

That is like asking if God can create a rock so big He could not lift it.   It makes no sense at all.

No that's just the gospel.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Well,actually bondage is a stronghold,oppression(or possession),the result of that is sin......anyway,there are no chains ,bondage,shackles,strongholds that Jesus cannot deliver a person of.....because a person commits a sin does not mean they are in bondage.....people can make a bad decision,make mistakes,repent & move on......

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

2 hours ago, Absolem said:

That's just an excuse to sin. He saying we need a savior. What about the verse where it says be perfect as I am perfect.

No, it isn't an excuse to sin.  Look at the verse in context.  It's clear that John is writing to believers, that is, those who follow Christ and have received salvation from him.  He isn't telling them that it's all right to sin.  He's telling them that they will sin because, this side of heaven, we won't be sinless, but that God, in his mercy and grace, is faithful to forgive us.  When Christ died and rose again, he took all my sins, past, present and future, and gave me his righteousness.  It is on the basis of Christ's righteousness that I have right-standing with God, not on anything I myself have done.

Yet, we do not have a license to sin.  Paul made that clear in Romans 6. 

The Greek word translated as "perfect" in Matthew 5 (which is where the verse you're quoting is from) is "teleios".  Literally, it means complete, not lacking anything.  It does not mean sinless. 

It's imperative to look at verses in their context -- the context of the chapter they're in, the book they're in and, ultimately, in the context of the entire Bible.  That admonition from Matthew 5 comes in the Sermon on the Mount.  That sermon is all about how we, as followers of the Lord, should live. 

Specifically, the admonition concludes a passage about not retaliating, but loving our enemies so that "we may be sons of God".  In other words, we are to be perfect in our love for our enemies as God is perfect in his love -- because we are ALL his enemies at one time.  He loved us while we were yet in our sin (Rom. 5:8).  So the order to be perfect as God is perfect is an order to love perfectly as God loves perfectly, that is, completely, lacking nothing. 

I have stated this elsewhere, but let me repeat it.  When we accept Christ, we enter into a process of sanctification in which we grow more and more like the Lord with the guidance and empowerment of the Holy Spirit.  But it is a life-long process and we won't be fully like him in this life -- only in the next.

50 minutes ago, daughterofGrace said:

No, it isn't an excuse to sin.  Look at the verse in context.  It's clear that John is writing to believers, that is, those who follow Christ and have received salvation from him.  He isn't telling them that it's all right to sin.  He's telling them that they will sin because, this side of heaven, we won't be sinless, but that God, in his mercy and grace, is faithful to forgive us.  When Christ died and rose again, he took all my sins, past, present and future, and gave me his righteousness.  It is on the basis of Christ's righteousness that I have right-standing with God, not on anything I myself have done.

Yet, we do not have a license to sin.  Paul made that clear in Romans 6. 

The Greek word translated as "perfect" in Matthew 5 (which is where the verse you're quoting is from) is "teleios".  Literally, it means complete, not lacking anything.  It does not mean sinless. 

It's imperative to look at verses in their context -- the context of the chapter they're in, the book they're in and, ultimately, in the context of the entire Bible.  That admonition from Matthew 5 comes in the Sermon on the Mount.  That sermon is all about how we, as followers of the Lord, should live. 

Specifically, the admonition concludes a passage about not retaliating, but loving our enemies so that "we may be sons of God".  In other words, we are to be perfect in our love for our enemies as God is perfect in his love -- because we are ALL his enemies at one time.  He loved us while we were yet in our sin (Rom. 5:8).  So the order to be perfect as God is perfect is an order to love perfectly as God loves perfectly, that is, completely, lacking nothing. 

I have stated this elsewhere, but let me repeat it.  When we accept Christ, we enter into a process of sanctification in which we grow more and more like the Lord with the guidance and empowerment of the Holy Spirit.  But it is a life-long process and we won't be fully like him in this life -- only in the next.

I don't understand why someone can't be sinless in Jesus.

Edited by Absolem

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

1 hour ago, Absolem said:

No that's just the gospel.

I misunderstood your questions.  To me, it looked like you were asking about Jesus sinning.  You answered it better here.

1 hour ago, Absolem said:

Sin is bondage. Jesus breaks that.

The only sin that cannot be forgiven is blaspheme of the Holy Spirit, or another way of looking at it is a complete rejection of God.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2

On 5/8/2017 at 1:26 PM, Absolem said:

Is it possible to live a sinless life in Christ Jesus? I'm talking about no mess ups at all.

No. However it is possible to live as someone who in Christ has released the former life identity of, "sinner". 

43 minutes ago, Wolf Bridges said:

No. However it is possible to live as someone who in Christ has released the former life identity of, "sinner". 

Isn't that everyone whos born again?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Absolem said:

Isn't that everyone whos born again?

Some may not think so. 

Jesus forgives us out sins, we just have to learn how to stop sinning. It's a mind, body, spirit process. 

Edited by Allroses48