• Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  5

The book of Enoch

Section 2

[Chapter 56]

1 And I saw there the hosts of the angels of punishment going, and they held scourges and chains 2 of iron and bronze. And I asked the angel of peace who went with me, saying: ' To whom are 3 these who hold the scourges going ? ' And he said unto me: ' To their elect and beloved ones, that they may be cast into the chasm of the abyss of the valley.

4 And then that valley shall be filled with their elect and beloved,

KJV

Jeremiah 7:32   Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that it shall no more be called Tophet, nor the valley of the son of Hinnom, but the valley of slaughter: for they shall bury in Tophet, till there be no place.

And the days of their lives shall be at an end,

And the days of their leading astray shall not thenceforward be reckoned.

5 And in those days the angels shall return

KJV

Revelation 9:14   Saying to the sixth angel which had the trumpet, Loose the four angels which are bound in the great river Euphrates.

Revelation 9:15   And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, for to slay the third part of men.

And hurl themselves to the east upon the Parthians and Medes:

KJV

Revelation 16:12   And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.

They shall stir up the kings, so that a spirit of unrest shall come upon them,

And they shall rouse them from their thrones,

KJV

Jeremiah 51:11   Make bright the arrows; gather the shields: the LORD hath raised up the spirit of the kings of the Medes: for his device is against Babylon, to destroy it; because it is the vengeance of the LORD, the vengeance of his temple.

Jeremiah 51:28   Prepare against her the nations with the kings of the Medes, the captains thereof, and all the rulers thereof, and all the land of his dominion.

That they may break forth as lions from their lairs,

And as hungry wolves among their flocks.

KJV

Isaiah 13:17   Behold, I will stir up the Medes against them, which shall not regard silver; and as for gold, they shall not delight in it.

Isaiah 13:18   Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eye shall not spare children.

6 And they shall go up and tread under foot the land of His elect ones

KJV

Zechariah 12:3   And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.

[And the land of His elect ones shall be before them a threshing-floor and a highway :]

7 But the city of my righteous shall be a hindrance to their horses.

And they shall begin to fight among themselves,

KJV

Haggai 2:22   And I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms, and I will destroy the strength of the kingdoms of the heathen; and I will overthrow the chariots, and those that ride in them; and the horses and their riders shall come down, every one by the sword of his brother.

And their right hand shall be strong against themselves,

And a man shall not know his brother,

KJV

Ezekiel 38:21   And I will call for a sword against him throughout all my mountains, saith the Lord GOD: every man's sword shall be against his brother.

Nor a son his father or his mother,

Till there be no number of the corpses through their slaughter,

KJV

Nahum 3:3   The horseman lifteth up both the bright sword and the glittering spear: and there is a multitude of slain, and a great number of carcases; and there is none end of their corpses; they stumble upon their corpses:

Jeremiah 50:27   Slay all her bullocks; let them go down to the slaughter: woe unto them! for their day is come, the time of their visitation.

And their punishment be not in vain.

8 In those days Sheol shall open its jaws,

And they shall be swallowed up therein

And their destruction shall be at an end;

Sheol shall devour the sinners in the presence of the elect.'

KJV

Isaiah 48:10   Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.

Isaiah 48:20   Go ye forth of Babylon, flee ye from the Chaldeans, with a voice of singing declare ye, tell this, utter it even to the end of the earth; say ye, The LORD hath redeemed his servant Jacob.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,024
  • Content Per Day:  16.70
  • Days Won:  0

Source: Book of Enoch

This is the Book of Enoch I am currently reading and it has a running commentary and criticism when the translation is questionable.  The book is by J. R. Church.  Young Earth Creationists will find the book unacceptable.

• Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Days Won:  8

The best translation of the book of Enoch is by R.H Charles. 

Guest shiloh357
On 5/9/2017 at 11:41 AM, Allroses48 said:

If a book is mentioned, quoted, or alluded to is it worthy of study if it expands the understanding of the Bible and why Jesus Christ came to earth? The theory of the book of Enoch is that it was written prior to the book of Genesis and then before that was kept through verbal oral tradition. Our earliest manuscripts date to the 2nd to 3rd centuries BC but scholars believe this is not the original date of the Enochian canon. The first century Christians considered the book of Enoch as inspired canon if not authentic.

Thoughts?

The fascination with extra-biblical books of uncertain origin serves only to take people away from the source of power, namely Scripture.    The book of Enoch doesn't have the massive manuscript evidence that Scripture has and it was only discovered in 1773 and there is really no way to know if this is the same book of Enoch mentioned by Jude.

9 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

The fascination with extra-biblical books of uncertain origin serves only to take people away from the source of power, namely Scripture.    The book of Enoch doesn't have the massive manuscript evidence that Scripture has and it was only discovered in 1773 and there is really no way to know if this is the same book of Enoch mentioned by Jude.

What were the Hebrews reading in Jesus time when it was only discovered in 1773?  Your scholarship is highly questionable here, as is you objectivity.

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

What were the Hebrews reading in Jesus time when it was only discovered in 1773?  Your scholarship is highly questionable here, as is you objectivity.

Oh please... How about a little commonsense?   I am talking about it's discovery in Egypt in 1700's and subsequent  English translation.  Until then, most people were not reading the book of Enoch, as there was no English translation.   Later some other manuscripts were found in Qumran in 1948. 

I didn't say that no one knew about it until 1773.

And don't tell me you buy into this book of Enoch stuff.

Guest shiloh357
2 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Source: Book of Enoch

This is the Book of Enoch I am currently reading and it has a running commentary and criticism when the translation is questionable.  The book is by J. R. Church.  Young Earth Creationists will find the book unacceptable.

If it promotes an old earth, then it is definitely not an inspired text.

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

Oh please... How about a little commonsense?   I am talking about it's discovery in Egypt in 1700's and subsequent  English translation.  Until then, most people were not reading the book of Enoch, as there was no English translation.   Later some other manuscripts were found in Qumran in 1948. 

I didn't say that no one knew about it until 1773.

And don't tell me you buy into this book of Enoch stuff.

Commonsense indicates that the Earth is quite old.  Many Christians accept and believe this while still taking the Bible literally.  Seen any unicorns lately?

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

If it promotes an old earth, then it is definitely not an inspired text.

Then I guess you want to remove Genesis and many other books from the 66 books of the Bible because they don't square with your prejudiced interpretation.  You may find this hard to believe, but Jesus, the prophets, patriarchs and apostles did not speak English.  The inspired text is not English.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

On 5/9/2017 at 3:10 PM, Allroses48 said:

In 367AD the  church father Athanasius "first provided the complete listing of the 66 books belonging to the canon and noted that those 66 books were the ones, and the only ones, universally accepted."

My question is why are we relying on the proclamations of a church father over 300 years after Christ's resurrection? Why aren't we relying on the early biblical writers themselves who believed Enoch to be divinely inspired and who were divinely led by God himself? The Ethiopian orthodox church is much older than 367 AD and older than the Catholic church. 

It's more about the canonization of the NT. It's almost nothing to do with the OT canonization. The legitimate authority to canonize the OT is the Jews. The book of Enoch is not in the canon of the Jewish OT as well as the Catholic OT. So it's not part of the canon disregarding how it was treasured by early Christians.

That said, personally I think that it's removed (by God in the end) because the contents are not from a true account of witnessing. It may contain some truth which can be used as a reference though.

The canonization of OT started with King Hezekiah. 17 out of the 22 books in Jewish canon are said to be with a mark of Hezekiah. Some of these 17 books were finally edited by Ezra after the Babylon exile. The book of Enoch is never part of whole process of canonization which last for more than 700 years. 

• Thumbs Up 1