the road to ...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

finding my way in the super fast information highway. (not sure where to post this so feel free to move it mods to a more suitable location.)

there are many pot holes and diversions and over loaded axle weights. that i have now more of a need to focus on Jesus than ever. that is where it always has been for me. just as well really as theological debates give me a puncture.

anyways, the journey is as important as the comprehensive theological stuff for me anyroad. just lately i have come across and yes, i will be just posting a link-(3mins +55 sec) as yet this chap seems ok. so many times i discern a kinda deep alarm bell ringing. maybe who knows this may happen with this chap.

what i am learning or needing to learn is to have to reduce the high levels of anxiety and so maybe i can take that as my cue amongst the discernment to either continue or leave well alone.

anyway here is what i am watching. came across him a few days ago quite by chance.
1 - Do Your Thoughts Really Determine if You Know God? -

somehow i need to get beyond the heightened anxiety and brittleness. which to me must be Gods way of saying that i am on the wrong track and hence i find myself watching these videos.

its like i am addicted to the anxious state i am in and desperate to STOP it also. ah but am i desperate enough. now that is a dangerous thought. sigh.. moving on swiftly. it does seem to be helping, at the mo, i just need to hear positive Christian dialogue. last week i was metaphorically burnt by two christian "friends" i have at last awoken up to the  truth that they are toxic and yes i have forgiven them. well spoken to one of them since the very next day.. long story...

Edited by OneLight
Removed link to YouTube. Please us the video forum for videos you want to share. YouTube links are not allowed in threads.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

Listened to a little of a few videos. In what I heard it seemed okay in the words he was speaking but it does seem to be along the lines of motivational speaking but what I heard did sound biblical. The difficulty I have with motivational inspirational speaking is even though the intent is to inspire people into Christ the end result becomes us focusing on us. Psychology does that, not a fan, but the person who knows us better than us is Jesus.

Even with good intentions in inspirational speaking what happens is our attention is really on the things of this world and us and not the things above.

I like to compare the overall effect of teachings to the sermon on the mount in a way. In whatever way a teaching may leave us as in emotion, conviction, peace, joy etc. are we sitting at Jesus' feet? Are we looking to things above or are we focused on the things of this world? Are we convicted and fear God? Lamenting the state of this world and the lost?

We think of peace as an absence of conflict but shalom, peace, in a Hebrew mind is one of being in a conflict yet having peace, shalom, the peace of God. The naked, chain tearing demoniac was found sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed and in his right mind.

I didn't find the video you posted but the saying, "Emotions are good servants but lethal masters." is something I remind myself of.

The guy seems to be well intended but I'd have to watch more to give any discernment. But caution when emotions are intentionally being provoked. Not saying that's what he is doing with intention, I'm just easily manipulated and have learned to proceed with caution.

On 09/05/2017 at 7:19 PM, Yowm said:

Distractions are plenty that would pull away our affections from Jesus...

worries, busyness, entertainment, self sufficiency, luxury either pulling our hearts from or covering our hearts to move towards Him.

James 4:8 NASB
[8] Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

yes distractions...i am good at those as a drug free coping mech. really i guess it would be best if i could just sit and abide in God

18 hours ago, Zemke said:

Listened to a little of a few videos. In what I heard it seemed okay in the words he was speaking but it does seem to be along the lines of motivational speaking but what I heard did sound biblical. The difficulty I have with motivational inspirational speaking is even though the intent is to inspire people into Christ the end result becomes us focusing on us. Psychology does that, not a fan, but the person who knows us better than us is Jesus.

Even with good intentions in inspirational speaking what happens is our attention is really on the things of this world and us and not the things above.

I like to compare the overall effect of teachings to the sermon on the mount in a way. In whatever way a teaching may leave us as in emotion, conviction, peace, joy etc. are we sitting at Jesus' feet? Are we looking to things above or are we focused on the things of this world? Are we convicted and fear God? Lamenting the state of this world and the lost?

We think of peace as an absence of conflict but shalom, peace, in a Hebrew mind is one of being in a conflict yet having peace, shalom, the peace of God. The naked, chain tearing demoniac was found sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed and in his right mind.

I didn't find the video you posted but the saying, "Emotions are good servants but lethal masters." is something I remind myself of.

The guy seems to be well intended but I'd have to watch more to give any discernment. But caution when emotions are intentionally being provoked. Not saying that's what he is doing with intention, I'm just easily manipulated and have learned to proceed with caution.

ah.. yes the title did lead to the clip. he used to be a sales man so ...for me i am so hungry for edifying christian content. the church just doesnt do it for me. i feel like a leaky bucket and therefore vulnerable .

since listening to his short videos my mood is more buoyant. which is quite something for me. i need to somehow get to the point where i can be filled with the LORD so i dont need these kind of things but right now i dont have a strong inner core. i cant be much good to myself let alone others in this world.

yes very good illustration. in this case i am thinking this man received Christ which was why he could be receptive to peace and being in his right mind.

the video was by Michael Chriswell

many thanks for your words of wisdom. i will take care. gosh i wish i could be sure about these things. "all that glitters isnt gold."

is there anything that you could recommend? bearing in mind i do struggle with information overload. God certainly doesn't want me to be a scholar. sigh.. lol!

many thanks

Mabel