• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

Apologies for another health topic, but-

Happens at 3 or 4AM all too often- I wake up w/a blocked nasal passage, use the good, natural spray, and it doesn't work.

Try a bit of water, walking around, even sleeping on a side (instead of back).

Oh well, maybe there's some kind of long-term problem.  Wonder if there's a solution or it's permanent.

That's the hard part to figure out.  Thanks-

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

There is something like a band aide called Breath Rite Nasal Strips, (I think) and they actually do help.  They stick to the outside of your nose opening the nostrils a little.  It is worth a try.  A bus driver used to wear them to work even.  

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I fought this for years after moving to the midwest where allergy and sinus problems got much worse.  Finding a good ENT doctor that kept up with the latest studies and trends was very helpful.  Taking generic a zyrtec antihistamine (24hr pill) before bed helped overall and let me wake up much more clear.  On days when I worked outside and would likely be more congested, I'd take a 400mg guaifenesin decongestant and that would help.   For me, sinus infections were mostly fungal and the antibiotics doctors tended to prescribe just made things worse.   A sinus irrigation system such as SinuPulse worked much better as a preventative.  

After some diet changes, I'm now at the point where a daily zyrtec pretty much takes care of things.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I started taking allergy shots a year ago and I'm down to pretty much not taking anything else for allergies except when the red cedar trees bloom.

I have the same exact problem and a few things I do help: Keep room ventilated with a fan. Don't eat before bed, it causes congestion. Sleep higher elevated, air passages need to be opened. You might have a type of sleep apnea. I got a sleep study which showed my breathing stops during night. Also weight loss (not saying your fat) but any abdominal weight puts pressure on diaphragm which hinders breathing.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,058
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:18 PM, Willa said:

There is something like a band aide called Breath Rite Nasal Strips, (I think) and they actually do help.  They stick to the outside of your nose opening the nostrils a little.  It is worth a try.  A bus driver used to wear them to work even.  

I simply can't proclaim the praise of this product enoughexclamation thumbsup.jpg
        4.jpg

3 hours ago, Allroses48 said:

I have the same exact problem and a few things I do help: Keep room ventilated with a fan. Don't eat before bed, it causes congestion. Sleep higher elevated, air passages need to be opened. You might have a type of sleep apnea. I got a sleep study which showed my breathing stops during night. Also weight loss (not saying your fat) but any abdominal weight puts pressure on diaphragm which hinders breathing.

I have the same problem and my insurance paid for the use of a CPAP.   I now sleep an average of 8.3 hours a night and don't even get up to use the bathroom at night.   I always said that I couldn't use one on those machines, but even after the sleep study I knew I needed it badly.    I was averaging not getting enough air in my lungs about ever six minutes all during the night......   I didn't actually stop breathing as much as breathing so light that it lowered my blood oxygen levels.   I also snored all night and it was that snoring that was the problem.    The machine opens up airways and lets everything work like it should.....   and the mask isn't a problem at all.  I don't notice it just after a couple of nights .

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  20
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  2.50
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  04/11/1961

I highly recommend NeilMed saline sinus rinse, and I also use a steroid nasal spray. I have allergies and a deviated septum and sometimes my nasal passages get swollen shut (like the other day after I mowed the lawn). I do get allergy shots but they haven't reached their full effectiveness yet. I make my own saline now: 1/2 table salt, 1/2 baking soda, about a teaspoon in an 8 oz. squeeze bottle. It really works miracles to clear out and reduce swelling. Steroid spray further reduces swelling.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

I live in the Midwest and with age I find I am having more and more issues with sinus and allergy issues.  One suggestion that I haven't seen addressed here is the use of an air purifier in your bedroom as opposed to humidifiers and de-humidifiers in the house.  It makes a big difference I have found.

God bless

for those of you using the sinus rinse, please make sure that if you  have to mix stuff into water, use  only distilled water....   Tap water has stuff in it that can be very dangerous.