• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

16 hours ago, oduma101 said:

A child is named on the eighth day of his birth. A name can simply be defined as a word or set of words by which a person is known or identified with. Often times destiny is sealed by one's name.

Names have different origins. Some are Hindu, Arabic, Hebrew, English, African, Asian etc. There is no child born that is not identified with a name. Sometimes, a child is named due to the circumstance surrounding his birth.

Don't know about the 8 day thing. 

Many if not all Biblical names  seem to have meaning and significance relating to the individuals and  sometimes prophecy or pre-destination.

But culturally,  in the west or at least the USA there seems two  manner  of names, and maybe three. Lots of old Testament names  are being selected for their meaning and are  very popular with our churched  families.  Then there are the  celebrity names copied for no apparant reason,  plus the Black  American  culture now appears to have it's own "sounds like" but is spelled who knows how alphabet soup of names. All trendy  I guess.

When I pass the lockers of the kids  at the beginning of each school year I am struck by th e vast number of unrecognizable names. It is like I am at a United nations facility locker room. Kinda fun but definitely a different culture from th edays of school back when  It was Donald Thomas Richard  or Harry and an occasional Vincent or Francis, and Lord help Francis.

Back in my parents day it was easy. I am named after my father's best military friend one killed in a flight training accident. I suspect a lot of war babies carry names memorializing someone lost to the war.

Anyway yes a name has significance, why  it is even made clear in the comedic old Johnny Cash tune- My Name Is Sue.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

Segdirb flow?

Wow small world, I once knew a Segdirb Flow.

Hey Wolf are you from Worcester, Mass?

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Wow small world, I once knew a Segdirb Flow.

Hey Wolf are you from Worcester, Mass?

oN.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,411
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Davida said:

Somehow I don't think that was his meaning though. :)

He did have a link to an article which i don't see now, which i speed read.  Anyway, what do you think he meant ?.    I did not pay attention to the naming of a child to be his destiny, cause that is not the Bible teaching  of a man destination is.  I totally ignored that.   Their are tons of names that just does not have a meaning.     

In a multicultural city like Toronto, lot of the immigrated parents are naming their children names that are easy to  pronounce and spell.  Imagine having to repeat your name multiple times when you are asked. It becomes tedious and frustrating and for social status and functionality,people are choosing names for their kids so that they can get over the many hurdles of intimidation and also easily assimilate .  "Hey mark, lets go to the park".  Hey Jagmanmohansign, lets go to the park".     You may think a name does not have an advantage in modern society, but it does.  Racial inequality still does exits in many ways and parents are seeking to get on a level playing field.    Spiritually, you name is known by the most high and you are equally loved by him, so what does that matter, plus you would be given a new name written on a white stone.  

Revelation 2King James Version (KJV)

17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

From the TOS ... The use of profanity will not be tolerated. This includes sexually explicit, vulgar, or other profane language or usernames as well as any any signs or symbols that suggests such.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  11/13/1979

On 5/12/2017 at 11:15 AM, Allroses48 said:

Names are only given power of we give them power. 

what if is given on a negative platform?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  03/09/1985

I'm not buying it, my name means "strong ruler" yet I have very little leadership ability though one of my   is "Yahweh is Gracious" which I agree with obviously.