hallowed be your name
10 Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread,
12 and forgive us our debts (transgressions, sins),
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,

but deliver us from evil. [Some manuscripts add, For Thine is Power, Kingdom, and Glory Forever and Ever Amen]" (Matthew 6:9-13).

Question, is the prayer in of itself to be prayed as it is word for word, or is it a list where you insert your personal prayers, for example instead of "Give me my daily bread, you say Lord help me pay the bills and put food on table, forgive my debts or transgressions, list them specifically," or is it model for prayers? That each line represents aspects of prayer, Saying who God is, Praise, Requests, Forgiveness for Sins, Safety in Temptation, and protection from Evil Powers.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,175
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

6 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

The Disciples asked Jesus "How should we pray?" Jesus responded:

"9 Pray then like this:
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name
10 Your kingdom come,
your will be done,

but deliver us from evil. [Some manuscripts add, For Thine is Power, Kingdom, and Glory Forever and Ever Amen]" (Matthew 6:9-13).

Question, is the prayer in of itself to be prayed as it is word for word, or is it a list where you insert your personal prayers, for example instead of "Give me my daily bread, you say Lord help me pay the bills and put food on table, forgive my debts or transgressions, list them specifically," or is it model for prayers? That each line represents aspects of prayer, Saying who God is, Praise, Requests, Forgiveness for Sins, Safety in Temptation, and protection from Evil Powers.

Hi Fidei Defensor,

I believe that it is both, as I see the Lord say - `Pray LIKE this.`

regards, Marilyn.

Guest Judas Machabeus

I will often use the Lords Prayer, Hail Mary and a Glory Be as a conclusion to spontaneous prayer. So instead of modifying the Lord's Prayer, I'll start off with praising Him, thanking Him for my blessings (than list off a few), than ask for forgiveness (list off my sins), than present my petition and I'll end my petition with "in Jesus name I pray" than add my 3 formal prayers. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

1 hour ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Fidei Defensor,

I believe that it is both, as I see the Lord say - `Pray LIKE this.`

regards, Marilyn.

Hi Marilyn,

I quite like that view. I say prayer as Jesus said it, and then I add my own specifications afterwards.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,175
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

1 hour ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Hi Marilyn,

I quite like that view. I say prayer as Jesus said it, and then I add my own specifications afterwards.

:D

The Our Father (Pater Noster) Prayer in Latin:

calligraphy012.jpg

The Our Father Prayer in Greek and English:

e4898d71b2e5ab1c562a97fd29024b7a.jpg.gif

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Just to consider ...

Our Father in heaven,.......................... rom8v9..Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his...not your Father...
hallowed be your name
10 Your kingdom come,.........Lu 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you....if/when you receive the Holy Spirit

your will be done,.......................most dont want HIS will, but their own ideas....acts 2v38, acts 2v4, mark 16v16+
11 Give us this day our daily bread,.......Mt 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.....Joh 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life:..............

as we also have forgiven our debtors..
....Mr 11:26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

but deliver us from evil.   ...

1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it....etc...........

Mary worship is Blasphemous..see other thred...

how to get the spirit..acts 2v38 etc

Edited by Saint JOHN

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2

8 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

The Disciples asked Jesus "How should we pray?" Jesus responded:

"9 Pray then like this:
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name
10 Your kingdom come,
your will be done,

I think the part where it states,give us this day our daily bread, is referring to that which we need to sustain ourselves this day. And that could include, money to pay the bills, put food on the table, a great health report. 

6 hours ago, Wolf Bridges said:

I think the part where it states,give us this day our daily bread, is referring to that which we need to sustain ourselves this day. And that could include, money to pay the bills, put food on the table, a great health report. 

Could the daily bread be Jesus? "I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." (John 6:51), "Jesus answered, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to Me will never hunger, and whoever believes in Me will never thirst," (John 6:35), "I am the bread of life," (John 6:48), "And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me," (Luke 22:19), and "and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." (1 Corinthians 11:24). Could it then be to ask for Lord Jesus to daily be with us, and his presence to be among us? Or could it be about Eucharist/Communion? Or is it an allusion to that God takes care of us,  "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" (Matthew 6:26).