misogyny

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

It is not misogamy to not let women to have authority over men or to teach them.  It is Scripture.  We either choose to obey God or we make excuses to disregard it.  

1Ti 3:1  AMP THE SAYING is true and irrefutable: If any man [eagerly] seeks the office of bishop (superintendent, overseer), he desires an excellent task (work).  1Ti 3:2  Now a bishop (superintendent, overseer) must give no grounds for accusation but must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, circumspect and temperate and self-controlled; [he must be] sensible and well behaved and dignified and lead an orderly (disciplined) life; [he must be] hospitable [showing love for and being a friend to the believers, especially strangers or foreigners, and be] a capable and qualified teacher,

Tit 1:5  For this reason I left you [behind] in Crete, that you might set right what was defective and finish what was left undone, and that you might appoint elders and set them over the churches (assemblies) in every city as I directed you.  Tit 1:6  [These elders should be] men who are of unquestionable integrity and are irreproachable, the husband of [but] one wife, whose children are [well trained and are] believers, not open to the accusation of being loose in morals and conduct or unruly and disorderly. Tit 1:7  For the bishop (an overseer) as God's steward must be blameless, not self-willed or arrogant or presumptuous; he must not be quick-tempered or given to drink or pugnacious (brawling, violent); he must not be grasping and greedy for filthy lucre (financial gain);

It is God's requirement that men take the role of authority in the church as well as in the home.  Those who choose to disregard God's word and make excuses for not honoring it are free to do so.  But by the same token I am free to set myself up as the authority in our home and expect my husband to follow me.  But the Holy Spirit does not allow me to rebel in this way.  You have to answer to your own Master as well.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, OneLight said:

I am interested in finding out what other passages in scripture are not meant for us today?  Care to share?

Getting a bit harder: 

2. Paul said in 1 Cor 7:7: 

5Do not deprive each other of sexual relations, unless you both agree to refrain from sexual intimacy for a limited time so you can give yourselves more completely to prayer. Afterward, you should come together again so that Satan won’t be able to tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7But I wish everyone were single, just as I am. Yet each person has a special gift from God, of one kind or another.

Back to Spock: Paul said he wished that everyone (all men in some translations) were as I am- single! 

Does this apply for all times, all churches, all cultures?  Should all men from the day Paul wrote this not seek a wife and marry?  Or was this ONLY for that particular time?   Didn't God in Genesis tell us to marry and to be fruitful and multiply? Is Paul contradicting God? 

Thanks. Looking forward to reading your response.

spock

Edited by Spock

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

1 minute ago, Spock said:

Getting a bit harder: 

5Do not deprive each other of sexual relations, unless you both agree to refrain from sexual intimacy for a limited time so you can give yourselves more completely to prayer. Afterward, you should come together again so that Satan won’t be able to tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7But I wish everyone were single, just as I am. Yet each person has a special gift from God, of one kind or another.

Back to Spock: Paul said he wished that everyone (all men in some translations) were as I am- single! 

Does this apply for all times, all churches, all cultures?  Should all men from the day Paul wrote this not seek a wife and marry?  Or was this ONLY for that particular time? 

spock

Why would I say that remaining single was only for a particular time?  If you read Paul's words, and not stop at verse 7, you will also find the following: "But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am; but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion."  I am sure Paul referred to the idea that if a person remains single, they could devote all their time to His work.  Yet, Paul also indicated that not all are like that.  Do yo see something wrong with that idea?

2 hours ago, OneLight said:

I am interested in finding out what other passages in scripture are not meant for us today?  Care to share?

Research exegesis. You take passages into the context they're written. I'm sure you're aware of this.

1 hour ago, Wolf Bridges said:

Deuteronomy 22:29. 

Are you saying that divorce is OK for today?  I know of some countries where men still pay for their brides, so you can't be referring to that.

1 minute ago, Allroses48 said:

Research exegesis. You take passages into the context they're written. I'm sure you're aware of this.

I am aware of this all too well, which is why I question how you could say instruction to the church from any NT book is not for us all when it is speaking to us all.  If we took your idea, then every book of the NT would not be for us as they all had their specific audiences.

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

55 minutes ago, Davida said:

Oh no!  Spock's into "spin" ?    :29:

They were not  the first Preachers of the resurrection.  That is wrong.  They were not given authority to preach. To me it is a good example of why I don't even want a woman to preach to me. When I read women twisting the scripture it is no thank you lady - bye bye! 

Amen Davida..

Now when she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, 'Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?' She, supposing him to be the gardener, said to him, 'Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away.' Jesus said to her, 'Mary!' She turned and said to him, 'Rabboni!' (which is to say, Teacher) (John 20:14-16).

And behold, Jesus met them and greeted them. And they came up and took hold of his feet and worshiped him (Matthew 28:9).

They were witnesses that Jesus rose from the dead, they didn't preach..

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, Spock said:

Good stuff wolf. Thanks.

i have a lot of respect for davida, because she tries to follow the words of the Bible exactly as they are written.  That is a beautiful thing, someone with that much commitment to the word.

however, is that the best and correct way to interpret the Bible?  Some may say yes, but some may say no. I don't think most people would agree that every word should be taken literally from Genesis to Revelation, or even from Matthew to Revelation if you believe the OT is only for Jews and not for the church. 

Do you consider culture?  Does this even matter?  If women were not allowed an education back then, does that matter?  Should we transpose that culture bias to ours today? 

How about the intent of the book? Does it matter if it is in a letter form addressed to one person? One particular church? 

The deeper you get into this, the more challenging it becomes.

or.......you could just say, "this is too hard to figure out, so I will just apply the words as they are written back then to today without any other factors to consider."  This way may be the easiest, but is it the best way?  Is it the correct way? 

To be or not to be.....that is the question! Lol

Food for thought perhaps? 

Spock

Spock, Davida is right ,her and I believe the same, we only live by the Word of God ,remember what it says in Revelation about people who add to the Bible?

I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. Rev.22:18

1 Cor.2-6-16

6 We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.

7 No, we declare God’s wisdom, a mystery that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. 

8 None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 

9 However, as it is written: “What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived” — the things God has prepared for those who love him— 

10 these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 

11 For who knows a person’s thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 

12 What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. 

13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words. 

14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. 

15 The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments,

16 for, “Who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?”But we have the mind of Christ.

It's the Holy Spirit who helps us to understand the Bible ( Gods Word)

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

52 minutes ago, Spock said:

Getting a bit harder: 

Does this apply for all times, all churches, all cultures?  Should all men from the day Paul wrote this not seek a wife and marry?  Or was this ONLY for that particular time?   Didn't God in Genesis tell us to marry and to be fruitful and multiply? Is Paul contradicting God? 

spock

It was easier to endure persecutions as a single person; and knowing they were coming on the whole church he had concern for the people with wives and children that they might not endure should they have to watch their loved ones suffer.   

1Co 7:26  I think that in view of the present distress it is good for a person to remain as he is.    1Co 7:27  Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be free. Are you free from a wife? Do not seek a wife.  1Co 7:28  But if you do marry, you have not sinned, and if a betrothed woman marries, she has not sinned. Yet those who marry will have worldly troubles, and I would spare you that.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

20 minutes ago, Willa said:

It was easier to endure persecutions as a single person; and knowing they were coming on the whole church he had concern for the people with wives and children that they might not endure should they have to watch their loved ones suffer.   

1Co 7:26  I think that in view of the present distress it is good for a person to remain as he is.    1Co 7:27  Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be free. Are you free from a wife? Do not seek a wife.  1Co 7:28  But if you do marry, you have not sinned, and if a betrothed woman marries, she has not sinned. Yet those who marry will have worldly troubles, and I would spare you that.

Thank you.  This is exactly how I interpreted that passage.  Therefore, I saw (and still see) this passage relating to that time only, not meant to be advice for single men today.  Therefore, I had no qualms (at that time in the 80s) to ask my wife to do me the honor and marry me.