• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

On 27/06/2017 at 4:34 AM, KiwiChristian said:

Please do not forget that the Bible is not a book but a collection of 66 books, written over a span of 1600 years across 3 continents, by over 40 writers inspired by God in 3 languages yet it has ONE primary theme ( The Glory of God and salvation of mankind ) and zero errors or contradictions.

It's still a book..... but a book made up of other books. Okay, strictly speaking it's a compendium.

But it's still okay to call it a book...... because it is......

sort of......

;)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

2 hours ago, OakWood said:

It's still a book..... but a book made up of other books. Okay, strictly speaking it's a compendium.

sort of......

;)

A book of books...

Guest Teditis
3 hours ago, Judas Machabeus said:

this is circular reasoning... the bible is inspired because it says its inspired? What internal witness does scripture give to say the Gospel of Mark is inspired work?

I get what you're saying (I think)... that it is indeed circular reasoning, the way many try to explain it and that the Bible itself doesn't truly tell us which books are

inspired and which are not. "Sola Scriptura" doesn't address the fact that men were involved in the decision making process.

Still, Councils of men labored hard over various books and formulated a litmus-test to help men clarify what would be the criteria for something written to have been

inspired by God. So, in the end, we do have to go by the Bible's "internal witness" (for lack of a better term) because inspired writings should not contradict each other.

So we can start with 2Tim. 3:16 "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness", to show

that the OT is inspired. Then we look at the NT for writings that follow the criteria that itself is based on sound logic and we hope God's inspiration. And what we've ended

up with is the best that man can do with a fervent hope that they are/did follow God's Will and indeed His inspiration during those Council Meetings.

Now I know very little about which Councils decided what, but I do have a good feeling that the Inspired books are the ones we have in the Common Bible and that exclude

the Apocryphal writings as they were deemed unable to hold to the criteria that they came up with.

But I believe that what it boils down to is that we have a mix of both God's inspiration in the writings themselves and on the men who considered which NT books were indeed

inspired.

Hope that makes sense.

Guest Judas Machabeus
47 minutes ago, Yowm said:

The Bible is inspired because Jesus quoted from the Old Testament putting His stamp of approval on it while comparing it  to the teachings of men. Also Jesus put His stamp  of approval on the apostles who wrote or took oversight in the writings of the New. All Old and New are one coherent whole testifying to each other through fulfilled prophecies, Jesus and the Apostles quotes etc..

Again, "By what basis would these men/Church Councils determine which books are inspired and which are not, except by the Scriptures internal witness? "

Mark and Luke were not Aposltes. Where does Jesus "give his stamp of approval"? Where does it even say Jesus gives "his stamp of approval" over anything that is written in the NT? It wasn't even penned for at least 10 years after his death.

You can't use the bible to determine the bible is inspired. 

Where in scripture does it say this "internal witness" determined Mark is inspired?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

21 minutes ago, Judas Machabeus said:

You can't use the bible to determine the bible is inspired. 

YHWH says it is His Word, Breathed His Way, GUARDED BY HIM.

On 6/27/2017 at 11:58 AM, Judas Machabeus said:

......when your scriptura needs man to define it.

"YOUR" sciptura needs man to define it - abomination after abomination defined by the pope and bishops in union with the pope ,  opposed to YHWH.

3 hours ago, Judas Machabeus said:

this is circular reasoning... the bible is inspired because it says its inspired? What internal witness does scripture give to say the Gospel of Mark is inspired work?

YHWH says it is His Word, Breathed by Him,  Guarded by Him,  REVEALED (to us) BY HIM, BY YHWH.

Thus, catholics who trust in the pope and bishops,  or muslims, jws, mormons, and others who trust in whatever it is they trust in,

do not receive the understanding of Scripture,  nor understanding from YHWH (GOD) (the ONLY ONE TRUE GOD).

Guest Judas Machabeus
4 hours ago, Teditis said:

I get what you're saying (I think)... that it is indeed circular reasoning, the way many try to explain it and that the Bible itself doesn't truly tell us which books are

inspired and which are not. "Sola Scriptura" doesn't address the fact that men were involved in the decision making process.

Still, Councils of men labored hard over various books and formulated a litmus-test to help men clarify what would be the criteria for something written to have been

inspired by God. So, in the end, we do have to go by the Bible's "internal witness" (for lack of a better term) because inspired writings should not contradict each other.

So we can start with 2Tim. 3:16 "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness", to show

that the OT is inspired. Then we look at the NT for writings that follow the criteria that itself is based on sound logic and we hope God's inspiration. And what we've ended

up with is the best that man can do with a fervent hope that they are/did follow God's Will and indeed His inspiration during those Council Meetings.

Now I know very little about which Councils decided what, but I do have a good feeling that the Inspired books are the ones we have in the Common Bible and that exclude

the Apocryphal writings as they were deemed unable to hold to the criteria that they came up with.

But I believe that what it boils down to is that we have a mix of both God's inspiration in the writings themselves and on the men who considered which NT books were indeed

inspired.

Hope that makes sense.

I'm not disputing if the bible is inspired. I'm challenging the knowledge of what is inspired and how do you (royal you not teditis) that the specific books on the NT are in fact inspired. I believe they are, NOT because the bible says they are. Because it doesn't and can't, I believe the NT books and the Septuagint are inspired because Jesus gave his authority first to Peter than to the Apostles to bind and loose on earth and it will be so in heaven. He gave the Apostles the Holy Spirit to guide them into truth. So under Jesus's authority guided by the Holy Spirit I believe that the Bishops of the Catholic Church declared infallibly what books were inspired.

That a huge problem for Protestants to admit, which is what I was seeing if Yowm was going to do. Instead he continued to circle the wagons around the circle reasoning approach. But at the end of the day it was multiple councils made up of Catholic Bishops under the guidance of the Holy Spirit that determined what books were inspired and which were not.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

If you truthfully believe the BIBLE is BREATHED BY YHWH, INSPIRED,

then you should believe the BIBLE. (many of the posts I read show opposition , clearly, to the BIBLE) ....

Not men who oppose much of the BIBLE.  

Read the BIBLE,  and pray for YHWH to reveal the TRUTH.

THAT is the starting point.    If He decides you are honest, and calls you and chooses you and sets you apart with other ekklesia He called and choose and set apart for Himself, 

as written in the BIBLE you now admit is "INSPIRED", 

then you won't ever again trust in fallible , corrupt, men or corrupt religion.... (unless you choose to believe again/still in fallible , corrupt, men or corrupt religion like the religious leaders did who actually did (those who did) believe Jesus but were afraid to follow JESUS, because they loved the approval of fallible, corrupt, men more than they loved the approval of YHWH (GOD) )....

• Group:  Members *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  870
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/22/1968

7 hours ago, OakWood said:

sort of......

;)

an encyclopedia.

Even though you disagree, do you get what i am trying to say?

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Judas Machabeus said:

I'm not disputing if the bible is inspired. I'm challenging the knowledge of what is inspired and how do you (royal you not teditis) that the specific books on the NT are in fact inspired. I believe they are, NOT because the bible says they are. Because it doesn't and can't, I believe the NT books and the Septuagint are inspired because Jesus gave his authority first to Peter than to the Apostles to bind and loose on earth and it will be so in heaven. He gave the Apostles the Holy Spirit to guide them into truth. So under Jesus's authority guided by the Holy Spirit I believe that the Bishops of the Catholic Church declared infallibly what books were inspired.

That a huge problem for Protestants to admit, which is what I was seeing if Yowm was going to do. Instead he continued to circle the wagons around the circle reasoning approach. But at the end of the day it was multiple councils made up of Catholic Bishops under the guidance of the Holy Spirit that determined what books were inspired and which were not.

It is easy to know which books were inspired.   The 66 books of the Christian Bible are far and away different in character than other books such as the Apocrypha and Pseudographical writings.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  870
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/22/1968

On 15/05/2017 at 7:24 AM, Guest said:

Who first said the Bible was the inspired word of God? Was it God himself or a historic figure? Scriptures and names welcome. Thx

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: