Science is not evil or of the world...

Just now, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

The literal view of Noah's Flood is that it was a large, localized flood covering the Black Sea and maybe the Mediterranean Sea. 

No, every place where the scope of the flood is mentioned, it is mentioned globally.  The literal approach is a global flood according to Scripture.

The idea of the global flood in the black and Mediteranean is based on an assumption that our modern topography is the same now as it was in the days of Noah.

This is backed up by science. 

Why do you put so much faith in science?

As far as the number of people saved, the Bible 8 souls were saved to replenish the land (not the Earth).  Don't confuse the word for land with the planet Earth. 

I am a student of Hebrew and I know the difference and the literal Hebrew doesn't' back you up on this view.

That would make that passage of Holy Scripture to mean something entirely different.  That would be taking liberties with the translation, something a liberal might do.

Given that it's liberals that deny the flood was global, and a local flood makes no sense, I would say that the liberals are taking liberties with Scripture.

Just now, shiloh357 said:

No, every place where the scope of the flood is mentioned, it is mentioned globally.  The literal approach is a global flood according to Scripture.

The Jews had no concept of a global planet Earth.

The idea of the global flood in the black and Mediteranean is based on an assumption that our modern topography is the same now as it was in the days of Noah.

There is no evidence to back up a claim of catastrophic changes in the Earth's topography.

Why do you put so much faith in science?

I was given this brain and what reasoning power I have by Almighty God.  Science is God's gift to those of us who are nerds to understand the length, width, depth, and breadth of His creation.  You will notice there are four dimensions of measurement.  God revealed His creation in this manner so we who are nerds can understand there are more than 4 dimensions not including time.  He is an awesome God.

I am a student of Hebrew and I know the difference and the literal Hebrew doesn't' back you up on this view.

I know PhD's in Hebrew who have disagreed with you.  I don't doubt your intelligence in the least.  You are one of the most intelligent people on this forum.  This is not a knock against you in the least.

Given that it's liberals that deny the flood was global, and a local flood makes no sense, I would say that the liberals are taking liberties with Scripture.

That's somewhat of slap in the face of the many conservative theologians who believe Noah's Flood was not global.  I believe your statement is unnecessarily broad, but personally do not take offense at it.  You have every right to your opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

The 'Jews' didn't AUTHOR the Holy Bible, GOD did.  He surely knew what HE Created. (btw:  HE didn't create a "PLANET").

God revealed His creation in this manner so we who are nerds can understand there are more than 4 dimensions not including time. 

1.  Time isn't a Dimension, it's merely the 'Conceptual Medium' in which all the events in our universe take place.

2.  Post the Scripture that explains what this 4th Dimension is...?

I know PhD's in Hebrew who have disagreed with you.

1.  PhD means 'Doctor of Philosophy'; we didn't ask Philosophers for their opinions.

2.  Scripture isn't an Agree/Disagree motif...it says what it says and HE means what HE means!

3.  Who are these Nameless Faceless Philosophers...?

That's somewhat of slap in the face of the many conservative theologians who believe Noah's Flood was not global.

They "believe" not only without warrant but in the face of evidence to the contrary from the Prima Facie Word of God.

And Who are these Nameless Faceless 'Conservative Theologians'? 

regards

1 hour ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Doesn't matter.  The Bible was written by Divine inspiration, so the knowledge was there.

There is no evidence to back up a claim of catastrophic changes in the Earth's topography.

I am not necessarily talking about changes in topography.  There have been fossils found of animals living in parts of the world that they would not have lived given their survival needs.   Even sea creature fossils being found well above sea level.  In addition, fossils have been found of both plants and animals that were abruptly/rapidly buried under massive amounts of sediment and this has been found all over the world and in same layers, indicating that it happened at the same time.   The global flood is the best explanation for all of  that. 

But more important is the biblical language about the flood.   God said he was going to wipe

And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.  (Gen 6:13)

And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.  (Gen 6:17)

Even if you want to quibble about the meaning of "earth,"  there are other modifiers that explain how that word should be understood.  God is talking about the end of "all flesh."  Many scholars believe the earth was at one time, a single continent.  Not enough evidence to be dogmatic, to be sure, but the language used by God is that every living thing on land will be destroyed. Likely, the sea creatures survived.  Now if it is true, that the earth was a single continent at the time, there was no Black Sea or Mediterranean Sea at that time.

At any rate, though, if we assume that the topography back then was just like it is now, that still doesn't account for the fact that God is going to destroy all flesh from the earth/land.     And even if I agree that the correct usage of the term is "land" that does NOT limit the scope of the flood to just one piece of land in one location of the earth.     The phrase God uses with "all flesh"  is pretty inclusive.  He doesn't qualify that as meaning "all flesh" within a certain location.

There are logical problems with a local flood.  For one thing, the flood covered the mountains.   If you are really into science, then you know that a local flood that covers the mountains (not just hills) would create an egg-shaped flood, essentially imposing some pretty massive and unrealistic hydraulic demands on water.

Secondly, if the flood were local, why build an ark?   I mean, why not just tell Noah and his family to leave the area where God was going to flood?    Why gather up the animals?  Animals instinctively evacuate flooded areas, and if the flood were local, the local wildlife would have departed the area, for the most part.    A local flood doesn't make any sense when you take in all of the biblical data and just apply some critical thinking to the issue.

I was given this brain and what reasoning power I have by Almighty God.  Science is God's gift to those of us who are nerds to understand the length, width, depth, and breadth of His creation. 

Science is man-made.

I know PhD's in Hebrew who have disagreed with you.

Like who?

That's somewhat of slap in the face of the many conservative theologians who believe Noah's Flood was not global. 

Like who?  And how is disagreeing with them about the flood a "slap in the face?"