• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

20 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

You do when the cost of the show is going to go up 5 fold or more.  Especially when the show does not so well in the demographic that rates the big bucks from advertisers. 

Other than some outraged far right people and the fans of the show, nobody else cares.  Just because this is all over your Facebook feed, you should not assume it is a big deal to most people. 

Though I do wonder if Fox chooses not to pick up the show if you all will say it caved to liberal pressure. 

There's 8 pages here and several petitions, that state that many do indeed care. 

I also would like to note you have yet to present a single shred of evidence to suggest that the cost of the show was going to go up at all, not alone to the degree you suggest. Until you do you really have no leg to stand on and i see no point in continuing this, as your claim is based upon false information.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

8 minutes ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

There's 8 pages here and several petitions, that state that many do indeed care. 

I also would like to note you have yet to present a single shred of evidence to suggest that the cost of the show was going to go up at all, not alone to the degree you suggest. Until you do you really have no leg to stand on and i see no point in continuing this, as your claim is based upon false information.

I have provided as much evidence that you have to support your claim it was done because of politics.  But often I am asked for evidence by those who never provide any, so I am used to it.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

I will admit that I do not watch SportsCenter so i cannot disagree with you.  It seems that ESPN is trying to change it appeal to the younger generation, old folks like us are no longer their target audience. 

I really doubt it is a business decision. I'm not sure why anyone thinks that a sports channel constantly interjecting on social issues would appeal to any generation.  I'd venture to guess even a few liberals have turned it off, insofar as things like sports is an escape from things like politics for a lot of people. I would personally probably be just as likely to turn it off if i turned on ESPN and saw a bunch of political commentary that was nearer to my persuasion, though i'm sure not everyone would. If their idea of appealing to the younger generation is to talk about social justice every other breath, then their functional understanding of their own business is sorely lacking. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

4 hours ago, Running Gator said:

I have provided as much evidence that you have to support your claim it was done because of politics.  But often I am asked for evidence by those who never provide any, so I am used to it.

I actually provided more then you have, I even provided evidence that ABC made the claim that it was for scheduling conflicts...which is contrary to what you claimed. If you can't provide any evidence to back up your claim then I see no reason to continue this. I provided mine...balls in your court.

1 minute ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

I actually provided more then you have, I even provided evidence that ABC made the claim that it was for scheduling conflicts...which is contrary to what you claimed. If you can't provide any evidence to back up your claim then I see no reason to continue this. I provided mine...balls in your court.

You provided Fox saying ABC said it was a scheduling conflict.  I have seen nothing from ABC from you.   And it is not contrary to what I claimed, a scheduling conflict has more to do with money than your view of a political statement being made.

4 hours ago, Steve_S said:

I really doubt it is a business decision. I'm not sure why anyone thinks that a sports channel constantly interjecting on social issues would appeal to any generation.  I'd venture to guess even a few liberals have turned it off, insofar as things like sports is an escape from things like politics for a lot of people. I would personally probably be just as likely to turn it off if i turned on ESPN and saw a bunch of political commentary that was nearer to my persuasion, though i'm sure not everyone would. If their idea of appealing to the younger generation is to talk about social justice every other breath, then their functional understanding of their own business is sorely lacking. 

I am not saying it is a good business decision, but I still belive it is just that, a business decision.   I cannot believe the folks at Disney/ESPN sat around the table and said "this will cost us money, but we need to be more political about social issues".   While I guess it is possible, I do not find it very probable.  Companies make bad business decisions all the time, history is filled with them.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, Running Gator said:

I am not saying it is a good business decision, but I still belive it is just that, a business decision.   I cannot believe the folks at Disney/ESPN sat around the table and said "this will cost us money, but we need to be more political about social issues".   While I guess it is possible, I do not find it very probable.  Companies make bad business decisions all the time, history is filled with them.

I don't think that's exactly what goes on, though. I think generally the people in board rooms in multinational media conglomerates are not making decisions about content on the properties they own. They have VPs and managers that hire producers. The guy who is responsible for the content of that property is who is going to be making content calls the vast majority of the time. I doubt you could even get most of the guys in the boardroom at disney to name a tenth of the actual tv shows on all the stations they own across the spectrum, much less the content of them. My general feeling is that they made a conscious decision to become more political. Otherwise, it would've been quashed if the on air talent went that way on their own, particularly if ratings slides that they were attempting to stop either continued or increased, which has been the case.

Also, as far as your earlier point towards targeting a younger DEMO, they are losing the 18-34 and 18-49 demographics at a higher rate than they are losing overall ratings. This is obviously somewhat due to cord cutting being more prominent amongst millennials, though their viewership loss in the last year has seen an uptick that is over the gradual decline they have been experiencing due to cord cutting. This is persistent in all demographics. At the very least, going more towards political and social commentary mixed in with sports has obviously not done what was intended, if indeed it was intended to keep millennials and the younger end of middle aged men watching it.  For my part, it just seems like they went more with it because they simply wanted to and i seriously doubt the guys at disney are going to put a stop to it unless they really start tanking (which is possible). This sort of thing is similar to target creating a problem for themselves where there was no problem.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

6 hours ago, Churchmouse said:

I have no idea why anyone is surprised at this. TV is never been about anything other than entertainment and with the rise of reality shows taking over those channels who used to have programing that actually stirred the mind instead of the Libido, this should not a shock.

And this is why I have Netflix. Well this and a few other reasons as well. But this is one of the reason. This kind of funny now  but The Apprentice is the only reality show I watched. LOL 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

31 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but the "Last Man Standing" show is not owned by that network. I heard today that 40% of revenue comes from advertising and the rest from selling or leasing a show to net flicks and other networks for re-runs. They made a business decision to open up a time slot for something they own.

So even though ratings were okay it was never going to be a cash cow for them.

Not sure who owns the rights, the radio report didn't mention it or I mist it, I was working.

Edited by Zemke

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

6 hours ago, Churchmouse said:

Yeah, that and Jersey Shore and the like.

Oh please tell me you are not putting Wonder Woman in the same category as Jersey Shore are you? :o