• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

7 minutes ago, Zemke said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but the "Last Man Standing" show is not owned by that network. I heard today that 40% of revenue comes from advertising and the rest from selling or leasing a show to net flicks and other networks for re-runs. They made a business decision to open up a time slot for something they own.

So even though ratings were okay it was never going to be a cash cow for them.

Not sure who owns the rights, the radio report didn't mention it or I mist it, I was working.

It has been mentioned a lot, but nobody thinks that is important.  They also have to pay a licensing fee to the owner of the show, without ever getting to reap the rewards of syndication or reruns. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

44 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

You provided Fox saying ABC said it was a scheduling conflict.  I have seen nothing from ABC from you.   And it is not contrary to what I claimed, a scheduling conflict has more to do with money than your view of a political statement being made.

it is, you claimed it was about money-over and over again, with absolutly nothing, to back it up. I at least provided a link where fox said what ABC told them-which, is 100 times different then waht you claimed. Thats not how a debate works-I provided mine. You havent provided anything, other then empty arguments. Your say so, does not make it true. For a productive debate both sides need to make their case-and provide evidence, to back their case. I made mine, I provided evidence, you haven't provided anything other then your say so, so henceforth, the discussion is over.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

11 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

It has been mentioned a lot, but nobody thinks that is important.  They also have to pay a licensing fee to the owner of the show, without ever getting to reap the rewards of syndication or reruns. 

Seems clear to me. Show biz is just that way. One day your up and the next day your gone. Tim Allen knows this and most likely will move on unless someone picks it up. If you've noticed over the years when someone cries and whines over show biz stuff they tend to disappear. Better to smile, pick up the box of belongings off the desk and say "See ya when I see ya". And send a card to the producers and writers thanking them for the great times..

Edited by Zemke

2 minutes ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

it is, you claimed it was about money-over and over again, with absolutly nothing, to back it up. I at least provided a link where fox said what ABC told them-which, is 100 times different then waht you claimed. Thats not how a debate works-I provided mine. You havent provided anything, other then empty arguments. Your say so, does not make it true. For a productive debate both sides need to make their case-and provide evidence, to back their case. I made mine, I provided evidence, you haven't provided anything other then your say so, so henceforth, the discussion is over.

Hey look, here is a comment from ABC...http://deadline.com/2017/05/last-man-standing-cancellation-reasons-abc-chief-politics-ownership-1202094721/

“I canceled Last Man Standing for the same business and scheduling reasons I canceled The Real O’Neals, Dr. Ken, The Catch, American Crime.”

However, while the other cancelled ABC series were low rated, Last Man Standing, despite airing on the low-trafficked Friday night, was ABC’s second most watched comedy series this season, only behind Modern Family, and the third most watched ABC scripted series behind Grey’s Anatomy and Modern Family.

“It was a challenging (call) because it was steady performer but when we made the decision not to continue with comedies on Friday that’s where it landed,” she added.

ABC’s Friday comedy block will be gone next fall, replaced by Once Upon a Time and Marvel’s Inhumans/Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. for a fantasy/sci-fi block.

Did the fact that Last Man Standing is not owned by ABC — it comes from 20th TV — play a role in its demise?

“The truth of the matter is that there are many factors that go into the decision-making process: ratings, critical acclaim. Of course we look at ownership structure, I don’t think we are alone,” Dungey said, quickly noting that the network has shows from multiple independent studios, including Warner Bros. TV and Sony TV. “I wouldn’t say that was the deciding factor.”

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

8 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Hey look, here is a comment from ABC...http://deadline.com/2017/05/last-man-standing-cancellation-reasons-abc-chief-politics-ownership-1202094721/

“I canceled Last Man Standing for the same business and scheduling reasons I canceled The Real O’Neals, Dr. Ken, The Catch, American Crime.”

However, while the other cancelled ABC series were low rated, Last Man Standing, despite airing on the low-trafficked Friday night, was ABC’s second most watched comedy series this season, only behind Modern Family, and the third most watched ABC scripted series behind Grey’s Anatomy and Modern Family.

“It was a challenging (call) because it was steady performer but when we made the decision not to continue with comedies on Friday that’s where it landed,” she added.

ABC’s Friday comedy block will be gone next fall, replaced by Once Upon a Time and Marvel’s Inhumans/Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. for a fantasy/sci-fi block.

Did the fact that Last Man Standing is not owned by ABC — it comes from 20th TV — play a role in its demise?

“The truth of the matter is that there are many factors that go into the decision-making process: ratings, critical acclaim. Of course we look at ownership structure, I don’t think we are alone,” Dungey said, quickly noting that the network has shows from multiple independent studios, including Warner Bros. TV and Sony TV. “I wouldn’t say that was the deciding factor.”

now see, thats what im talking about, now we have something to discuss. Though, that sites not straight from ABC either, but it is quoting someone from ABC, so Ill take it, and let me make some observations on it. 
First, when asked why she cancelled it, Dungey didn't really answer the question-she instead more of "side stepped it" by claiming she did it for the same reason as the other shows.

Second, she went on to say that she canceled it, among other comedies, on friday night, which supports what Fox claimed she told them of it being a "scheduling" conflict, not a issue with "licensing" like you claim. 

And while the "licensing" question came up, she indicated it She said “I wouldn’t say that was the deciding factor.”  (quote from your article) 

so, if your going to argue that it wasnt politics, fine, but at least get the facts straight from your article-licensing, had little, to nothing, to do with it, from ABC itself.

Now, Im going to contend that if it was for political reasons, ABCs never going to admit it. I can see why they would want to give that slot to the shows she mentioned in the article (once upon a time and agents of shield) but that doesnt answer why they dont just schedule the show for other times, like before or after their new "sci-fi block" or another time of the week. Its a half hour long episode there is no reason they cant play it at 11:30 at night.

Again, thankyou, for finally providing some evidence.

5 minutes ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

now see, thats what im talking about, now we have something to discuss. Though, that sites not straight from ABC either, but it is quoting someone from ABC, so Ill take it, and let me make some observations on it. 
First, when asked why she cancelled it, Dungey didn't really answer the question-she instead more of "side stepped it" by claiming she did it for the same reason as the other shows.

Second, she went on to say that she canceled it, among other comedies, on friday night, which supports what Fox claimed she told them of it being a "scheduling" conflict, not a issue with "licensing" like you claim. 

And while the "licensing" question came up, she indicated it She said “I wouldn’t say that was the deciding factor.”  (quote from your article) 

so, if your going to argue that it wasnt politics, fine, but at least get the facts straight from your article-licensing, had little, to nothing, to do with it, from ABC itself.

Now, Im going to contend that if it was for political reasons, ABCs never going to admit it. I can see why they would want to give that slot to the shows she mentioned in the article (once upon a time and agents of shield) but that doesnt answer why they dont just schedule the show for other times, like before or after their new "sci-fi block" or another time of the week. Its a half hour long episode there is no reason they cant play it at 11:30 at night.

Again, thankyou, for finally providing some evidence.

Yes, it is not from ABC but it is a direct quote of an actual person from ABC, not a vague quote from an unnamed source, surely you can see the difference. 

I had not seen this till today, so my previous reasons for why the show might have been canceled were just guesses, like yours were. 

I think you are misreading the statement “I wouldn’t say that was the deciding factor.”  This does not mean it had little to nothing to do with it, it means it was not the only reason.  When the word "the" is used in that context it means it was not the only reason, but it was a factor.  

At 11:30 at night the advertising rates a way lower than during prime time.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

• I wish I knew what this was all about but since I've never seen the show I guess I will mosey on to the next thread.  :sad030:

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2

Tim Allen breaks silence: 'Stunned and blindsided' by ABC

Gone are the days of professional journalism and impartial network broadcasts. There are businesses in my area who have marquee signs calling for people to boycott ABC due to this. 

I can't say I blame them. ABC should be bigger than involving themselves in petty liberal payback opposing a free democratic election. 

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 5/17/2017 at 9:22 PM, MorningGlory said:
  • I wish I knew what this was all about but since I've never seen the show I guess I will mosey on to the next thread.  :sad030:

I just realized that I don't really watch any tv shows any longer except "Father Brown"    at least since Downton Abby ended.

My  wife says I spend way way too much time reading Worthy to watch TV....    I suppose she's right.....   that means you all are a really bad influence taking up all my time. LoL

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

23 hours ago, other one said:

I just realized that I don't really watch any tv shows any longer except "Father Brown"    at least since Downton Abby ended.

My  wife says I spend way way too much time reading Worthy to watch TV....    I suppose she's right.....   that means you all are a really bad influence taking up all my time. LoL

:laugh: