JohnD

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,644
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Over the years of study and intrigue I have heard of many Bible studies typically named after who or what the study was being presented by...

e.g. a Chuck Missler Bible study, a Baptist Bible study, even an expository Bible study...

It seems to me they all overlook the obvious... Jesus Christ who is the crux of the Bible.

I see more often than not opinionated, slanted, even accrediting studies and responses and arguments even here on this wonderful forum...

But what about Jesus?

And how can we even approach the subject of Jesus Christ without the only proper way to interpret the revelation from God about him (the Bible)?

The proper way to interpret scripture is posted here often, but it seems to fall on mostly blind eyes...

A depiction of Jesus, abstract / removed, at best is all we can come up with (which most are willing to risk him being the genuine Jesus on the say-so of others)...

I'd like to ask if Jesus appeared suddenly in the middle of your Church service and walked the aisle towards the pulpit...

How would he react to your Church service and the people in it?

"Well done good and faithful servant?"

Or...

something else.

Guest Judas Machabeus
45 minutes ago, JohnD said:

And how can we even approach the subject of Jesus Christ without the only proper way to interpret the revelation from God about him (the Bible)?

Here's a thought experiment I would like to share. It comes from Patrick Madrid:

Let's say you found a note written by someone 100 years ago with these words:

I never said you stole money.

Anyone you asked would say they understood the meaning of that short, six word sentence. But do they? Do they really understand what meaning the writer intended 100 years ago?

The writer of that sentence might have meant "I never said you stole money", implying someone else said it.

Or perhaps he meant "I never said you stole money." He thought it, he suspected it, but he never said it.

Or maybe "I never said you stole money." He said your neighbor stole it.

Or, "I never said you stole money." He means that you lost it, or squandered it, or did something else with it that he didn't approve of, but you didn't steal it.

Or, "I never said you stole money." Maybe he said you stole his horse, or shoes, but not his money.

This shows how easy it is to derive several legitimate but very different meanings from this short, six word sentence. Think how easily the Bible can be misinterpreted. We can't just assume we have the correct understanding of Scripture.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

It is so easy to deceive billions of p.ople by claiming to have the power given by some god to interpret .....

Or,

Ekklesia called and chosen and set apart by YHWH in YHWH'S PLAN, YHWH'S PURPOSE, YHWH'S SALVATION  Y'SHUA MESSIAH,

may rejoice in TRUTH as YHWH SAYS:

" Then opened HE their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,"

Since YHWH knows everything, 

Since YHWH knows YHWH'S WORD,

YHWH grants understanding of

HIS OWN PLAN, PURPOSE, SALVATION, and HIS WORD that is true. (not some weak nor false interpretation)

20 minutes ago, Judas Machabeus said:

Here's a thought experiment I would like to share. It comes from Patrick Madrid:

Let's say you found a note written by someone 100 years ago with these words:

I never said you stole money.

Anyone you asked would say they understood the meaning of that short, six word sentence. But do they? Do they really understand what meaning the writer intended 100 years ago?

The writer of that sentence might have meant "I never said you stole money", implying someone else said it.

Or perhaps he meant "I never said you stole money." He thought it, he suspected it, but he never said it.

Or maybe "I never said you stole money." He said your neighbor stole it.

Or, "I never said you stole money." He means that you lost it, or squandered it, or did something else with it that he didn't approve of, but you didn't steal it.

Or, "I never said you stole money." Maybe he said you stole his horse, or shoes, but not his money.

This shows how easy it is to derive several legitimate but very different meanings from this short, six word sentence. Think how easily the Bible can be misinterpreted. We can't just assume we have the correct understanding of Scripture.

You made my point.

You

made

my

point

ONLY the Author of the Bible can properly interpret the Bible.

2 Peter 1:20–21 (NIV84)
20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation.
21 For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

All scripture came by this method.

15 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

It is so easy to deceive billions of p.ople by claiming to have the power given by some god to interpret .....

Or,

Ekklesia called and chosen and set apart by YHWH in YHWH'S PLAN, YHWH'S PURPOSE, YHWH'S SALVATION  Y'SHUA MESSIAH,

may rejoice in TRUTH as YHWH SAYS:

" Then opened HE their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,"

Since YHWH knows everything, 

Since YHWH knows YHWH'S WORD,

YHWH grants understanding of

HIS OWN PLAN, PURPOSE, SALVATION, and HIS WORD that is true. (not some weak nor false interpretation)

True.

1 John 4:1 (NIV84)
1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Acts 17:11

2 Timothy 3:16-17

etc.

Guest Judas Machabeus
6 minutes ago, JohnD said:

ONLY the Author of the Bible can properly interpret the Bible.

I would disagree with this point. I think those that where disciples of the Aposltes (the authors) proper understood what was being said (interpretation). 

I also think that the disciples of those disciples understood the proper interpitation. So on and so forth. 

3 minutes ago, Judas Machabeus said:

I would disagree with this point. I think those that where disciples of the Aposltes (the authors) proper understood what was being said (interpretation). 

I also think that the disciples of those disciples understood the proper interpitation. So on and so forth. 

Oh please.

Shall I quote all the scriptures that say "the disciples understood NOT...?"