JohnD

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

I loved it and had to laugh out loud when I read that after they had been with HIM a while (months?),

Jesus asked HIS OWN CHOSEN APOSTLES and DISCIPLES "Are you being STUPID on purpose?"

Guest shiloh357
38 minutes ago, Judas Machabeus said:

Here's a thought experiment I would like to share. It comes from Patrick Madrid:

Let's say you found a note written by someone 100 years ago with these words:

I never said you stole money.

Anyone you asked would say they understood the meaning of that short, six word sentence. But do they? Do they really understand what meaning the writer intended 100 years ago?

The writer of that sentence might have meant "I never said you stole money", implying someone else said it.

Or perhaps he meant "I never said you stole money." He thought it, he suspected it, but he never said it.

Or maybe "I never said you stole money." He said your neighbor stole it.

Or, "I never said you stole money." He means that you lost it, or squandered it, or did something else with it that he didn't approve of, but you didn't steal it.

Or, "I never said you stole money." Maybe he said you stole his horse, or shoes, but not his money.

This shows how easy it is to derive several legitimate but very different meanings from this short, six word sentence. Think how easily the Bible can be misinterpreted. We can't just assume we have the correct understanding of Scripture.

That is not really comparable to Scripture, though.  In the Bible, we are not dealing with one six word sentence for which we have no historical, cultural or literary context.  

Interpretation is not a subjective exercise.  The meaning isn't derived from the reader, but from the author.  What is often the case is that people confuse application and interpretation.

There can be only one interpretation.   If we read a newspaper, a cookbook, a fictional novel, a book of Shakespearean poetry, we naturally adjust our thinking to accommodate the intent of the author.   We don't assume the author has 50 different possible meanings or "interpretations."  Our goal is to understand what the author wants us to understand.   

When it comes to the Bible, though, it seems like those rules we operate by in ordinary life simply go out the window and suddenly, no one is can understand it, no one can interpret it.   We can interpret ANYTHING else, but the Bible it seems.

But that is simply not the case.  The Bible isn't hard to understand IF the Bible is your final authority and you know what it says.  We do not have a perfect or exhaustive knowledge of everything it contains, but the Bible isn't a collection of riddles and God isn't trying to keep us in the dark.   Any one can read and understand, make sense of and competently interpret Scripture in terms of what they need for life and spiritual growth and to be in relationship/fellowship with God.  The more we grow, the more we learn.

The Bible is a book that is designed to be studied and searched out.  That's why there is no one single verse or chapter, or book of the Bible that contains all of the truth on any given subject.  It has to be searched out, but too many people are brainwashed to think that they can't study it or understand it, and need someone else to do it for them.   Pretty pathetic.  Many people don't know God because they don't know the Bible and what is in it, simply because they have been told that they can't know it.

Guest Judas Machabeus
29 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Oh please.

Shall I quote all the scriptures that say "the disciples understood NOT...?"

okay than how do you know that anyone is right. So you can not trust anyone is correct not even the authors?? Those that penned the actually gospels and letters didn't even understand what they were saying??

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

Trust only the AUTHOR.   Not author(s).

Remember the high priest,  did not even understand what he himself was saying,

but the AUTHOR knew perfectly, and predicted it in HIS WORD.

Same as the false teachers, prophets, priests, pastors and popes since then. 

THE AUTHOR ALWAYS KNEW, and KNOWS.   They don't know,  and maybe never knew.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,829
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

On 5/16/2017 at 0:03 PM, JohnD said:

True.

1 John 4:1 (NIV84)
1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Acts 17:11

2 Timothy 3:16-17

etc.

So everyone is testing the visitors to find out if they have the same doctrine as the mother church. 

The Lutherans test the visitors to see if they have the Lutheran Spirit, the EO do the same , they test the spirit of the visitors, to see, if they are from what other denominations. 

That's what they do today, they interogate people, they don't know, 

When the disciple said test the Spirits of the visitors he had something in mind, and not to prosecute, but to instruct.

Some of the visitors, they were not properly taught that Jesus Christ was the Son of God, and the importance of what that means. 

The disciple happened to have this problem in his time. 

He was stretching the importance to believe that Jesus Christ was from God, that he had the LIFE, so he is the lifegiver. 

Today they used this scripture to judge and contemn , people from other denominations, and their cultural traditions. 

And don't want to test them, on the faith matter, if they believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. 

That's too bad, they don't accept the faith of Jesus Christ, in others from deferent denominations and cultures. 

They want to make every one just like them. 

They test others cultures, not the faith of the visitors, in JESUS CHRIST. 

They don't accept the visitors in the name and faith of Jesus Christ. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

On 5/16/2017 at 11:39 AM, Judas Machabeus said:

Here's a thought experiment I would like to share. It comes from Patrick Madrid:

Let's say you found a note written by someone 100 years ago with these words:

I never said you stole money.

Anyone you asked would say they understood the meaning of that short, six word sentence. But do they? Do they really understand what meaning the writer intended 100 years ago?

The writer of that sentence might have meant "I never said you stole money", implying someone else said it.

Or perhaps he meant "I never said you stole money." He thought it, he suspected it, but he never said it.

Or maybe "I never said you stole money." He said your neighbor stole it.

Or, "I never said you stole money." He means that you lost it, or squandered it, or did something else with it that he didn't approve of, but you didn't steal it.

Or, "I never said you stole money." Maybe he said you stole his horse, or shoes, but not his money.

This shows how easy it is to derive several legitimate but very different meanings from this short, six word sentence. Think how easily the Bible can be misinterpreted. We can't just assume we have the correct understanding of Scripture.

Judas....you made my day posting that!!!!

I have already shared it with my home church group.

Thanks

I should add...context, context, context

Edited by Mike 2