jashley

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

This guy friend at my bible study while we were walking out ran into these ladies sitting in a circle and he started talking to his mom while I was standing there but didn't introduce me or the guy standing next to me to her. (I know it's his mom because I have a vauge memory of meeting her at church like 10 years ago and her saying "Hi I'm so and sos mom" and I've seen pictures of him with her on his Facebook profile where he mentions her being his mom, like for mother's day). I'm only 99% sure the lady from last night was her though. So what do I do? Do you think I should ask him if that was his mom? If it was his mom, I'm kind of hurt that he wouldn't introduce me or the guy standing next to me to her. Also when I asked if he knew these people once we left the room he said yeah I go to church here, but still didnt say anything about his mom. I thought I was his friend.

Guest BacKaran

I would have said are you his mom? I'm so and so, remember from years ago?

Guys don't think like girls do... They can come off as rude when they are not doing it intentionally.

Yes, as Karan mentioned...

I'm a guy, and sometimes (well, most times) our brains are someplace else and we simply don't think of these things. Most likely, he did not do that intentionally.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, jashley said:

This guy friend at my bible study while we were walking out ran into these ladies sitting in a circle and he started talking to his mom while I was standing there but didn't introduce me or the guy standing next to me to her. (I know it's his mom because I have a vauge memory of meeting her at church like 10 years ago and her saying "Hi I'm so and sos mom" and I've seen pictures of him with her on his Facebook profile where he mentions her being his mom, like for mother's day). I'm only 99% sure the lady from last night was her though. So what do I do? Do you think I should ask him if that was his mom? If it was his mom, I'm kind of hurt that he wouldn't introduce me or the guy standing next to me to her. Also when I asked if he knew these people once we left the room he said yeah I go to church here, but still didnt say anything about his mom. I thought I was his friend.

Why don't you ask him why he did not introduce you to his mom? :noidea:

I've learned that men think differently than us women lol and more than likely his mind was on other stuff. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,536
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

6 hours ago, Yowm said:

I had an experience the other week when I had my wife with me and bumped into an old work friend. I wanted to introduce him to my wife...but for the first 5 minutes I couldn't recall his name. Maybe this friend forgot either your name or the other guy with you and was too embarrassed so just went on without an intro.

That has happened to me all my lifetime.

Once, I did introduce  my new bride to my son's sister in law, and I had the wrong sister in law, I called her by her sister's name. I did it in the presence of all the family. Awkward! And of course a big deal was made of it, that I didn't know one sister from another.

Sooo. DO I introduce people by name ever again? NO! I don't. Now when I go to introduce my  new bride to anyone that I know I remind her that I never remember names well, so  you take the lead once I say, Hi this is my new bride, you say Hi,  give them your name and let them introduce themselves. 

In business I used to sit with families assisting them. I could never remember names  so I put numbers corresponding to the chair positions they were in on my work folders. They almost always returned to the same seat if we left and came back. If they didn't I could recognize that , and I just stopped calling them by name at that point. Some twenty years after I left that field of work,  I returned for a visit just to see the buildings. One of their sales people came up to me  after finding out who I was he asked; hey,  I see your old folders when people come back in for new business. What are all those numbers beside their names? They aren't in any sequence, what are they? I told him - can't remember names so I number their seating positions. A lightbulb  went on over his head; Cool! I'm going to do that!

-Guys don't remember names well is my guess. That's why we call friends by nicknames  or attitudes or well anything but by a surname. Hey Sparky what's up? And the response will be anything but my name. Whatz up, who saz whazs up? Nothing's up, howze you man?  We never use names.

If I am trapped in a business meeting at a table, I do the go through the alphabet of names thing. Agnes, Angie, Betty, Carla, Donna,  etc. until it finally clicks no, Katherine with a K, sure that's it. Bingo! Then I will say something like, "How you doing today Bingo?" and will have blown it for having tried for the name. I have an uncle that has never ever used anything but pronouns he she you them - Safe way to go.

Edited by Neighbor

I never got the point of the Name Game song either-

-----------------------------------

Shirley Shirley bo burley
Banana fana for firley
Fe fi for firley
shirley!

Lincoln Lincoln bo bincoln
Banana fana for fincoln
Fe fi for fincoln
lincoln!

C'mon everybody, yeah!
I said let's play a game
I betcha I can make a rhyme
Out of anybody's name.

The first letter of the name
I'll treat it like it wasn't there
But if a "B" or an "F" ever will appear
Then I say a for and a fi and I say the name
Banana fano and for
And then I say the name again

And I say the name again
With an "M" this time
There isn't a name
That I can't rhyme.

Arnold Arnold bo barnold
Banana fano for farnold
Fe fi mo marnold
arnold!

But if the first two letters
Are ever the same
Drop them both
And say the name

Like Bob, Bob drop the "B" spells ob
or Fran, Fran drop the "F" spells ran
or Mary, Mary drop the "M" spells ary
That's the only rule that is contrary.

Now let's say Divi, Divi!
Now Divi with a "B", Bivi!
Then banana fana for, banana fana for!
Then you say the name again with an "F", very plain, Fivi!
Fe fi then mo, and fe fi then mo
Then you say the name again with an "M" this time, Mivi!

And there isn't any name that I can't rhyme
Now do Divi!

Divi Divi bo bivi
Banana fana for fivi
Fe fi mo mivi
divi!

Let's do Marsha
Marsha Marsha bo barsha
Banana fana for farsha
Fe fi mo marsha
marsha!

A little trick with dick
dick Dick bo bick
Banana fana for fick
Fe fi mo mick
dick!
----------------------------
Say what? 

258x

Old age is not the problem many think it might be, why we meet new people everyday, again, and again, and again.

Yep, my old bride  ol what'zer name. Somehow I don't think that is an option.  Nor do you want to trade her in on a new one.

But you could say,  hi do you remember my spouse? That will throw him into a panic and your bride can rescue by saying, Hi I'm --------- what's your name, I am sure we must have met, you are from where?

I guess the point is that a person that does not remember names well needs to work out a system with their helpmate, or companion if not yet married. Otherwise learn to talk using only  pronouns.

Back to the original post  of this thread:  I suspect that if I did not introduce someone to my mother, it would be to avoid my mother's inqusition later on.

Who's that lady you were with when we chatted?

answer: She didn't give you her name? You didn't ask at the time?   By the way  do you have a recipe for your really great clam chowder? I sure would like to have some soon....

Edited by Neighbor