Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MorningGlory

Simple steps to protect against ransomware attacks

6 posts in this topic

Very timely article.  I also recommend that everyone running Windows install the all of the updates that came out today.  If you have 'automatic update' enabled it should flag you to do this.  It takes a while, there are a lot of updates because of these new viruses.  Also do not click on spam emails, links you're not sure of and make sure your antivirus is up to date and functioning.  Also enable Windows firewall if you haven't already. 

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/simple-things-protect-against-ransomware-attacks-121604392--abc-news-topstories.html

31 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

Very timely article.  I also recommend that everyone running Windows install the all of the updates that came out today.  If you have 'automatic update' enabled it should flag you to do this.  It takes a while, there are a lot of updates because of these new viruses.  Also do not click on spam emails, links you're not sure of and make sure your antivirus is up to date and functioning.  Also enable Windows firewall if you haven't already. 

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/simple-things-protect-against-ransomware-attacks-121604392--abc-news-topstories.html

I got this almost exact message today from ESET which is my computer virus company.

i have a computer geek friend who is VERY skeptical about the media coverage regarding this kind of thing. she says to be very careful and not to believe everything you hear. think i will leave it at that :blink:

my friend has just updated me regarding this situation

Interesting article.  We were never the target.  Now it looks like mostly W7.  so dont always believe the hype  - Like all things, wait for the hysteria to calm and see the real story

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/20/wannacry_windows_xp/

Edited by existential mabel

I heard about wannacry yesterday on the news. I like the article saying we should backup our files everyday on a hard drive that isn't connected to the net. Because the only way our stuff can be ransomed is if we don't have that backup. Good that they noted that simple strategy to defeat this type behavior. 
What gets into people that they use their genius for this kind of evil? I've asked this here before but it never gets old being boggled by such antics. The genius that could do good in the world instead commits to wickedness and inflicting pain. Satan's evolution in his roaming of this world; computers and hacking. :(   

On 5/17/2017 at 11:09 AM, existential mabel said:

i have a computer geek friend who is VERY skeptical about the media coverage regarding this kind of thing. she says to be very careful and not to believe everything you hear. think i will leave it at that :blink:

I am a computer geek and on staff with www.bleepingcomputer.com, one of the largest free computer help sites, and i can assure you the advice in that article is very very, sound. Now statistically your not likely to get the virus in question, but there are hosts of other viruses and other malware out there that people get daily from not watching what web sites they go to, opening questionable emails, and not having good antivirus software and firewalls.

A lot of viruses like these do get over hyped, but that doesn't mean that we should ignore common internet safety principles. I literally fix dozens of computers every year from people who ignore basic online safety, and that's just from my friends, that's not counting all the people I assist online at bleepingcomputer. There are millions of different programs out there that can hurt your computer...and they're rarely the ones that hit the news, but the ones that hit the news do make good reminders to the rest of us to remain vigilant.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0