creativemechanic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

Im confused about something.  Why do people dismiss Paul's letters as biblical  authority about issues . Thats basically contradicting 2 Timothy 3.16. God's word  is absolute.  Only exception being aspects of the old covenant which was explained as having passed away. When people do this its basically  rebellion to parts f Gods word they don't like

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I firmly believe in 2 Timothy 3.16-17.  People who refuse to follow all God has said cherry pick their favorite passages.  This has been going on as log back as I can tell.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:sherlock:

Old

“The day is coming,” says the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah. This covenant will not be like the one I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand and brought them out of the land of Egypt. They broke that covenant, though I loved them as a husband loves his wife,” says the Lord.

“But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day,” says the Lord. “I will put my instructions deep within them, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. And they will not need to teach their neighbors, nor will they need to teach their relatives, saying, ‘You should know the Lord.’ For everyone, from the least to the greatest, will know me already,” says the Lord. “And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins.” Jeremiah 31:31-34 (New Living Translation)

New

For he finds fault with them when he says:“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt. For they did not continue in my covenant, and so I showed no concern for them, declares the Lord.

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts,
and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall not teach, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more.”

In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away. Hebrews 8:8-13 (English Standard Version)

Peek-A-Boo

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. Matthew 24:35 (New International Version)

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 (King James Bible)

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160 (King James Bible)

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Inside Of My Gideon New Testament

Guest Judas Machabeus
1 hour ago, creativemechanic said:

Im confused about something.  Why do people dismiss Paul's letters as biblical  authority about issues . Thats basically contradicting 2 Timothy 3.16. God's word  is absolute.  Only exception being aspects of the old covenant which was explained as having passed away. When people do this its basically  rebellion to parts f Gods word they don't like

Can we have an example as to what you mean? I don't recall seeing anyone rejecting Paul's authority. 

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

To give the example i saw would srart another long  debate so i dont want to refer to it. But to be general ive heard someone say (outside here) -but Jesus didn't say it. Only Paul, the issue was the wearing makeup one

42 minutes ago, Judas Machabeus said:

Can we have an example as to what you mean? I don't recall seeing anyone rejecting Paul's 

Guest Judas Machabeus
1 hour ago, creativemechanic said:

but Jesus didn't say it. Only Paul

Gotcha. That's what I was looking for and not the specific person. I agree that would have started something. 

Guest Judas Machabeus
1 hour ago, Davida said:

There are whole denominations that teach their congregations

This kinda shocks me! I've never heard of this before. Every Sunday we have an OT reading, sing a psalm, a reading from one of Paul's letter and than the Gospel. 

Although the time from Easter to Pentecost Paul is replaced with a reading from Acts. But the rest of the year the second reading is Paul. 

Interesting. 

--------

i missed part of the quote. The context is that Paul has no authority is being taught to whole congregations. 

Edited by Judas Machabeus

Guest shiloh357
13 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

These people who reject the writings of Paul are usually weird splinter groups and they have other huge theological errors that go along with their rejection of Paul.

False teachings usually come in a "package"  so to speak.  Usually if you find a group with one major false teaching, you will find that have a lot of other problematic teachings.

Guest Judas Machabeus
2 hours ago, Davida said:

It's not that they don't read quotes & have teachings from Paul in the homily. For eg. some denominations chose to ordain women & gays. Certain quotes from Apostle Paul are taught they can be dismissed as just being Paul's personal opinion or what was only directed to the Church at Corinth or only applied to that time & came out of his Jewish culture.

Scary isn't it. Catholics that do that we call them cafeteria Catholics. They pick and choose which of the Church teachings to follow. 

Come the day of judgement I would not want to be in their shoes. Or as I say "I wouldn't want to put my salvation in that basket". 

We have to look at scriputre as a whole and we can't ignore the parts that go contrary to our preconceived notions. 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

15 hours ago, Judas Machabeus said:

Can we have an example as to what you mean? I don't recall seeing anyone rejecting Paul's authority. 

Because people who don't know their bible often think Paul's teachings were too Hellenistic in nature.