• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Allroses48 said:

Who said the 93 don't have thematic unity? Who said only the 66 does?  If you've never read the other 27 how do you know they don't have unity? That's extremely biased pov. I would much rather have all the biblical authors and books mentioned in the Bible instead of not having them at all. It gives an amazing background to the 66. 

There are 81 books in the Orthodox Ethiopian Canon. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

15 minutes ago, PlanetChee said:

I'm a follower of Jesus Christ. 
I'm a poster of that link. 

Not what I asked.  If you take a resource from a site, is it from a site you agree with or just a site that has information you are interested in?

1 minute ago, OneLight said:

Not what I asked.  If you take a resource from a site, is it from a site you agree with or just a site that has information you are interested in?

It is an information site. 

Are you intending to be combative? It is not my purpose. 

2 minutes ago, PlanetChee said:

It is an information site. 

Are you intending to be combative? It is not my purpose. 

I am questioning why you feel the site is worth checking out.  It's a simple question, not combative at all.  What made you think I was combative?  Just looking for a straight answer from a new member.

4 minutes ago, OneLight said:

I am questioning why you feel the site is worth checking out.  It's a simple question, not combative at all.  What made you think I was combative?  Just looking for a straight answer from a new member.

Very good. Thank you for clarifying. I felt the site was a credible resource to provide readers. It is a short enough article so as not to lose interest in that which pertains to explaining the hypothesis of the Deutero-Pauline context discussion .   And also provide enough insight to persuade intrigue and further study by those so inclined. 

I hope that assists your understanding of my linking it to this discussion. 

2 minutes ago, PlanetChee said:

Very good. Thank you for clarifying. I felt the site was a credible resource to provide readers. It is a short enough article so as not to lose interest in that which pertains to explaining the hypothesis of the Deutero-Pauline context discussion .   And also provide enough insight to persuade intrigue and further study by those so inclined. 

I hope that assists your understanding of my linking it to this discussion. 

Well, yes.  It tells me you trust the resource, which is what my first question was leaning toward. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Well, yes.  It tells me you trust the resource, which is what my first question was leaning toward. Thank you.

You're welcome. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  899
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,634
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 5/18/2017 at 10:56 AM, Judas Machabeus said:

I'm reading Steve Rays book crossing the Tiber. So to help me understand the Protestant point of view I may end up with lots of questions. 

I believe everyone here agrees that the canon of scripture is closed meaning no more books can be added to the bible. 

Heres my question:

where does that teaching come from and is it biblical?

I would argue the canon is not completely closed.

Revelation 10:4 (NIV84)
4 And when the seven thunders spoke, I was about to write; but I heard a voice from heaven say, “Seal up what the seven thunders have said and do not write it down.”

Sphragizo in the Greek (seal up)  is not exaleipho (blot out) what the seven thunders have said... 

Revelation 3:5 (NIV84)
5 He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.

And I would argue that the last of the writing prophets were qualified by the criteria of an apostle (Acts 1:21-22*).

* Just an aside, for those who would argue Paul (who wrote much of the New Testament) would not qualify for that criteria, he would if he was the rich young ruler whom Jesus called to follow him (after selling all he had and giving it to the poor). Which eventually he did (if this was Paul).

Romans 11:29 (NIV84)
29 for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable.

The only other alternative to a New Covenant Apostle coming back from the dead and revealing what the seven thunders spoke... would be an Old Testament author coming back from the dead and doing so. 

Many scholars believe Moses and Elijah will be the two witnesses in Revelation 11.

There is also the possibility of the brothers Boanerges (sons of thunder) being the two witnesses and the ones who complete the biblical canon with the explanation of Revelation 10:3-4.

Guest Judas Machabeus
7 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I would argue the canon is not completely closed

I only quoted the first line for the interest of keeping the post short. 

What you put forward is interesting and a view I've never heard put forward. 

Because the book of Revelation is so subjective I don't spend much time chasing end of the world prophesies. 

Moses and Elijah may or may not end up being the witnesses, but I don't think any new books will ever be accepted. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  899
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,634
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

23 minutes ago, Judas Machabeus said:

I only quoted the first line for the interest of keeping the post short. 

What you put forward is interesting and a view I've never heard put forward. 

Because the book of Revelation is so subjective I don't spend much time chasing end of the world prophesies. 

Moses and Elijah may or may not end up being the witnesses, but I don't think any new books will ever be accepted. 

Actually I meant to specify that only the utterance of the seven thunders is all that remains of the complete canon of scripture.

Everything else has either been fulfilled or has yet to be fulfilled (or is applicable for daily living and of course the path to salvation!).

But what the seven thunders spoke was not blotted out or omitted but rather sealed (for what purpose and what unveiling if any I do not know and do not worry about).

Blessings.