• Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On 5/18/2017 at 0:17 PM, Judas Machabeus said:

how do we know that the Canon is closed....
Where does that teaching come from....

~

On 5/18/2017 at 0:23 PM, wingnut- said:

For me personally.....
the Holy Spirit....

:thumbsup:

and because from a babe the Holy Writings thou hast known, which are able to make thee wise — to salvation, through faith that is in Christ Jesus;

every Writing is God-breathed, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that is in righteousness, that the man of God may be fitted — for every good work having been completed. 2 Timothy 3:15-17 (Young's Literal Translation)

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 (King James Bible)

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160 (King James Bible)

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Inside Of My Gideon New Testament

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On 5/19/2017 at 7:39 PM, Running Gator said:

Just call me a fool then, because I do not think that God's word proves God's word....
I believe there is an element of faith involved....

~

On 5/19/2017 at 7:43 PM, Running Gator said:

Can you explain why proof is so important....
Why faith alone is not enough....

:)

It's

Therefore, we never stop thanking God that when you received his message from us, you didn't think of our words as mere human ideas. You accepted what we said as the very word of God--which, of course, it is. And this word continues to work in you who believe. 1 Thessalonians 2:13 (New Living Translation)

Elementary

I wish only to learn this from you: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the Law or by hearing of faith? Galatians 3:2 (Berean Literal Bible)

My Dear Brother

How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without someone preaching? And how will they proclaim unless they are sent? As it is written: "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of peace, who bring good news of good things."

But they did not all listen to the glad news. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed our report?"

So faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. Romans 10:14-16 (New Heart English Bible)

:emot-heartbeat:

Guest Judas Machabeus
On 2017-05-23 at 1:05 PM, BobRyan said:

I think the RCC Apocrypha is the same as Jerome's in the Vulgate

Since I started the thread hopefully I can invoke the "it's my party and I'll derail it if I want to" clause lol ;)

one quick question, if Jerome wasn't RC than what was he?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

About 42,400,000 results (0.67 seconds) 

biblehub.com/proverbs/22-24.htm
Do not associate with a man given to anger; Or go with a hot-tempered man, ... Do not be a friend of one who has a bad temper, and never keep company with a ...

Keep away from angry, short-tempered men, lest you learn to be like them and ... Do not associate with a man given to anger; Or go with a hot-tempered man,.

========================================================

excerpt from a rc site: (suspected/ claimed anyway) :

"....Jerome is frequently remembered for his bad temper! It is true that he had a very bad temper..."

Guest Judas Machabeus
5 hours ago, simplejeff said:
About 42,400,000 results (0.67 seconds) 

biblehub.com/proverbs/22-24.htm
Do not associate with a man given to anger; Or go with a hot-tempered man, ... Do not be a friend of one who has a bad temper, and never keep company with a ...

Keep away from angry, short-tempered men, lest you learn to be like them and ... Do not associate with a man given to anger; Or go with a hot-tempered man,.

========================================================

excerpt from a rc site: (suspected/ claimed anyway) :

"....Jerome is frequently remembered for his bad temper! It is true that he had a very bad temper..."

Lol!! Yes he did yes he did. He could cuss out a heretic like nobody's business. 

St Jerome Pray for us

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  1

On 5/23/2017 at 1:05 PM, BobRyan said:

I think the RCC Apocrypha is the same as Jerome's in the Vulgate

http://www.usccb.org/bible/books-of-the-bible/

- but the larger set is this 

As for Enoch -- well then "reaching" now for the pseudepigrapha 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudepigrapha 

Jerome's Vulgate included these texts as "Apocrypha"

http://sacred-texts.com/bib/vul/index.htm

Tobias
Judith
Wisdom
Sirach

Baruch
1 Macabees
2 Macabees

Thank you for that list. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  1

I don't believe in a closed cannon personally. I think if it was a closed canon that would have taken effect with the OT. And not then allowed books after that of Moses and the prophets to arrive at God's prompting. Besides, a closed canon implies God has stopped speaking to his human family. And has no other thing to say. I don't think that's possible. Especially in this age when so much darkness is actively trying to destroy his church. 

If other prophets writings were discovered and those writers were already in the known books, they could be added to the Bible to give us new wisdom from the Father. 

Guest shiloh357
28 minutes ago, PlanetChee said:

I don't believe in a closed cannon personally. I think if it was a closed canon that would have taken effect with the OT. And not then allowed books after that of Moses and the prophets to arrive at God's prompting. Besides, a closed canon implies God has stopped speaking to his human family. And has no other thing to say. I don't think that's possible. Especially in this age when so much darkness is actively trying to destroy his church. 

If other prophets writings were discovered and those writers were already in the known books, they could be added to the Bible to give us new wisdom from the Father. 

Yeah, that is false.

1. A closed canon does not imply that God has stopped speaking to us.  He continues to speak to us through His word.  What it means is that there is no new revelation from God.   That is not the same thing as saying that God has stopped speaking to us.  Those are two completely different ideas.

2.  The 66 books of the OT and NT are unique and contain characteristics that no other writings possess.   When one does a meaningful and substantive comparison of the 66 books of Scripture with any other writings said to be "sacred" Christian texts, one can easily see why that such a claim is false. 

3.  The Bible is a living book that is always relevant to every age, every generation.  It is the only book that truly addresses all of the needs of the human heart. 

4.  There is no new wisdom from the Father. Lot's of people claim to have new wisdom, but often times it is full of error and actually contradicts what is in the Bible, when we examine it against the 66 books of Scripture.  Lot's of cults are based on their leaders receiving revelations and new information not contained in the Bible and what's worse they blame such things on having an encounter with an angel (which is a dead giveaway that they are false) or fraudulently claiming they were told this new info by the Holy Spirit.

Guest shiloh357
7 hours ago, Judas Machabeus said:

Lol!! Yes he did yes he did. He could cuss out a heretic like nobody's business. 

Which tells us that St. Jerome was not a genuine follower of Jesus.  Followers of Jesus don't speak like that.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

15 hours ago, PlanetChee said:

God still speaks to us but never contradicts established canon.   Nor can we base doctrine on other than established canon.                                                 The mormons took off with their revelation from their angel Moroni and came up with the new world being visited by one of the 12 tribes of  Israel as well as by Jesus.  Just saying, people who claim new revelations are to immediately be considered suspect.  

All revelations were/are to be judged--and they judged them by established Scriptures even if all they had was the Old Testament.  They also judged them by the words of the apostles.   The   New Testament events were foretold by the Old Testament prophets.  Any good reference Bible will tell you that.   The Bible confirms itself.     

So I must also respectfully agree to disagree.