Guest Judas Machabeus

Question about the Canon being Closed

Guest Judas Machabeus
5 hours ago, simplejeff said:
About 42,400,000 results (0.67 seconds) 

biblehub.com/proverbs/22-24.htm
Do not associate with a man given to anger; Or go with a hot-tempered man, ... Do not be a friend of one who has a bad temper, and never keep company with a ...

Keep away from angry, short-tempered men, lest you learn to be like them and ... Do not associate with a man given to anger; Or go with a hot-tempered man,.

========================================================

excerpt from a rc site: (suspected/ claimed anyway) :

"....Jerome is frequently remembered for his bad temper! It is true that he had a very bad temper..."

Lol!! Yes he did yes he did. He could cuss out a heretic like nobody's business. 

St Jerome Pray for us

On 5/23/2017 at 1:05 PM, BobRyan said:

I think the RCC Apocrypha is the same as Jerome's in the Vulgate

http://www.usccb.org/bible/books-of-the-bible/

- but the larger set is this 

As for Enoch -- well then "reaching" now for the pseudepigrapha 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudepigrapha 

Jerome's Vulgate included these texts as "Apocrypha"

http://sacred-texts.com/bib/vul/index.htm

Tobias
Judith
Wisdom
Sirach

Baruch
1 Macabees
2 Macabees

Thank you for that list. 

I don't believe in a closed cannon personally. I think if it was a closed canon that would have taken effect with the OT. And not then allowed books after that of Moses and the prophets to arrive at God's prompting. Besides, a closed canon implies God has stopped speaking to his human family. And has no other thing to say. I don't think that's possible. Especially in this age when so much darkness is actively trying to destroy his church. 

If other prophets writings were discovered and those writers were already in the known books, they could be added to the Bible to give us new wisdom from the Father. 

28 minutes ago, PlanetChee said:

I don't believe in a closed cannon personally. I think if it was a closed canon that would have taken effect with the OT. And not then allowed books after that of Moses and the prophets to arrive at God's prompting. Besides, a closed canon implies God has stopped speaking to his human family. And has no other thing to say. I don't think that's possible. Especially in this age when so much darkness is actively trying to destroy his church. 

If other prophets writings were discovered and those writers were already in the known books, they could be added to the Bible to give us new wisdom from the Father. 

Yeah, that is false.

1. A closed canon does not imply that God has stopped speaking to us.  He continues to speak to us through His word.  What it means is that there is no new revelation from God.   That is not the same thing as saying that God has stopped speaking to us.  Those are two completely different ideas.

2.  The 66 books of the OT and NT are unique and contain characteristics that no other writings possess.   When one does a meaningful and substantive comparison of the 66 books of Scripture with any other writings said to be "sacred" Christian texts, one can easily see why that such a claim is false. 

3.  The Bible is a living book that is always relevant to every age, every generation.  It is the only book that truly addresses all of the needs of the human heart. 

4.  There is no new wisdom from the Father. Lot's of people claim to have new wisdom, but often times it is full of error and actually contradicts what is in the Bible, when we examine it against the 66 books of Scripture.  Lot's of cults are based on their leaders receiving revelations and new information not contained in the Bible and what's worse they blame such things on having an encounter with an angel (which is a dead giveaway that they are false) or fraudulently claiming they were told this new info by the Holy Spirit.

7 hours ago, Judas Machabeus said:

Lol!! Yes he did yes he did. He could cuss out a heretic like nobody's business. 

Which tells us that St. Jerome was not a genuine follower of Jesus.  Followers of Jesus don't speak like that.

15 hours ago, PlanetChee said:

God still speaks to us but never contradicts established canon.   Nor can we base doctrine on other than established canon.                                                 The mormons took off with their revelation from their angel Moroni and came up with the new world being visited by one of the 12 tribes of  Israel as well as by Jesus.  Just saying, people who claim new revelations are to immediately be considered suspect.  

All revelations were/are to be judged--and they judged them by established Scriptures even if all they had was the Old Testament.  They also judged them by the words of the apostles.   The   New Testament events were foretold by the Old Testament prophets.  Any good reference Bible will tell you that.   The Bible confirms itself.     

So I must also respectfully agree to disagree.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

16 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Which tells us that St. Jerome was not a genuine follower of Jesus.  Followers of Jesus don't speak like that.

Amein,  and are not supposed to ,  are instructed not to , even associate with such a one with an uncontrolled temper,

so likewise never accept a tradition associated with such a one.

I haven't read the entire thread and maybe somebody already brought this up, but one of the main criteria for determining what books should be included in the New Testament canon was this -- a book had to be written by someone who knew Jesus personally or by someone who knew someone who knew Jesus personally.  That criteria would preclude anyone adding books further down the line as those connections to Christ would end at some point.

On 5/26/2017 at 9:55 PM, Willa said:

God still speaks to us but never contradicts established canon.   Nor can we base doctrine on other than established canon.                                                 The mormons took off with their revelation from their angel Moroni and came up with the new world being visited by one of the 12 tribes of  Israel as well as by Jesus.  Just saying, people who claim new revelations are to immediately be considered suspect.  

All revelations were/are to be judged--and they judged them by established Scriptures even if all they had was the Old Testament.  They also judged them by the words of the apostles.   The   New Testament events were foretold by the Old Testament prophets.  Any good reference Bible will tell you that.   The Bible confirms itself.     

So I must also respectfully agree to disagree.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Good point. The Bible has doctrine on the subject of spiritual gifts in 1 Cor 12 for example and in 1 Cor 14, Ephesians 4 etc. The whole point of "sola scriptura" is to follow what the Bible teaches on doctrine and one of those Bible doctrines are the doctrine on spiritual gifts - where God the Holy Spirit - third Person of the Godhead gives to each person as He wills according to 1 Cor 12.

The fact that Mormons abuse that doctrine - can be a point that is proven "sola scriputra". But we should not "throw out the baby with the bath water". At the time of Christ many false Messiah's had come up - the "easy solution" would be "well fine -- in that case nobody can be the Messiah". Easy - but wrong.

Paul had the gift of prophecy - so also did John the revelator. tossing out all prophets in the NT age would have cut the legs out from under the NT church.