da_man1974

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,088
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

James gave the translators instructions intended to ensure that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology and reflect the episcopal structure of the Church of England and its belief in an ordained clergy.[7] The translation was done by 47 scholars, all of whom were members of the Church of England.[8] In common with most other translations of the period, the New Testament was translated from Greek, the Old Testament from Hebrew and Aramaic, and the Apocrypha from Greek and Latin. In the Book of Common Prayer (1662), the text of the Authorized Version replaced the text of the Great Bible for Epistle and Gospel readings (but not for the Psalter, which substantially retained Coverdale's Great Bible version) and as such was authorised by Act of Parliament.[9]

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

The King James Bible (KJV) describes events in eloquence (if you can stand the Thus, Thou arts, and harken) and actually captures some concepts well, most translations say "Keep from evil," (2 Thessalonians 5:22), but KJV says, "Keep from all appearance of Evil." (2 Thessalonians 5:22). However, be warned that KJV Bible was edited by King James I of England and IV of Scotland who son of Mary Stuart (not Bloody Mary or Mary I of England), a devout Catholic who was beheaded for treason by her half sister Queen Elizabeth I of England. Mary Stuart was involved with Phillip II of Spain a fanatical Catholic who was involved with Spanish Inquisition and wanted to turn England back to Catholicism by force with his Armada. King James was a devout Catholic, and lived in a paradox, he was Catholic but head of English Church (Anglicanism, Church of England). King James had many passages changed, he removed anything about having to be baptized, and he changed Joel 3 to not mention Israel become favored by God and part of prophecy. Thus the King James Bible has major flaws because of James bias against certain practices he did not agree with, such as being baptized as an adult, he being Catholic was baptized as a baby (infant baptism), and wasn't about to celebrate the Anabaptists by becoming a "rebaptizer" especially when they were in disfavor. Some of newer KJV Bibles may be updated by scholars, but its better not to rely on KJV as you primary translation due to King James' Catholic sensibilities (unless of course you are Catholic). The New King James Version (NKJV) is merely the KJV with the removal of Old English words like Thou, hither, hast, hath, and so forth.

Confession: I wrote this in another thread, but I thought it nicely summarizes the pros and cons of KJV Bible.