IGNORED

What Did I do Wrong, which sins are unacceptable to God today?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

For the past few weeks I've been reading in the OT almost exclusively. I started with Genesis and then since it was Passover time I read Exodus. I started Leviticus but I got bored with all the ceremonial laws so I jumped to Deuteronomy. Then I read Joshua and Judges. I skipped Ruth bc I had read that about 5 months ago and then I read 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, and I'm in 1 Kings. I get more questions from the OT than anything else. I was intrigued at the end of either Deuteronomy or maybe it was Joshua (I forget) bc the Lord was reminding the people to obey Him so things go well for them. But then suddenly the Lord tells them that they are going to disobey Him. Maybe God thought if He predicted what they'd do then they wouldn't do it.

Another big confusion for me is when God led them out of Egypt God did some of His most astounding miracles in all the Bible. I envision myself running away from Pharaoh and his men and suddenly there's a sea in front of us. I would have had a panic attack for sure. But then God causes the waters to part and the ground becomes dry and hard enough for all the people to cross. I was a Scuba diver when I was young and let me assure you the bottom of a body of water is never hard and solid. Even if it's a sandy bottom all of Israel's carts and animals would have gotten stuck. We finally cross and the waters come back drowning all the Egyptians. I imagine if I had seen that and the other wonders God did. If I had seen such things I don't think I would have ever doubted God again. But they did and that blows my mind. God expects us to trust Him, and I do, more so as I've gotten older, but I never saw such amazing miracles. But as we all know, God expects us to trust Him without seeing 1/10 of what the ancient Israelites did. It makes me wonder why God kept helping those people. As I read on I noticed something profound. God overlooked all kinds of sins except one. When the Israelite's worshiped other gods, meaning they sacrificed to them, or even had a statue in their home, the punishment was often death. If the whole nation did it God sent them into exile. They could murder, have fornication, steal, lie about their brothers, or anything else just so long as they didn't get into the foreign gods. Back then, that was totally unacceptable to God. I know why. Those other gods were either nothing or worse yet, they were the fallen angels who rebelled against God and caused a war in heaven. So don't think I don't understand why God became so angry over this.

Here comes my question. Ancient Israel couldn't even have 1 little statue and if they did they died or had an enemy blind them, or something terrible happened. So now here we are today. I should say here I am in 2017. I do much better than I did even 5 yrs ago. I wish I could resist every sin there is 100%. That's where my heart is. But I fail. I wonder which sin or sins God considers totally unacceptable today? In the past few days I felt like God was helping me, but it stopped. I need God to fight for me like Israel did. I did something wrong, and God isn't helping me today.

What are today's unacceptable sins to God? I need to figure this out.

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

God wants us to place Him first in everything, every action, every word.  Jesus tells us to pray in His name, but our prayers are to God the Father, they are both God, but still separate.  The next thing is to carry that love He has for us and treat other people with this in mind.

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

God bless

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

15 hours ago, JTC said:

For the past few weeks I've been reading in the OT almost exclusively. I started with Genesis and then since it was Passover time I read Exodus. I started Leviticus but I got bored with all the ceremonial laws so I jumped to Deuteronomy. Then I read Joshua and Judges. I skipped Ruth bc I had read that about 5 months ago and then I read 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, and I'm in 1 Kings. I get more questions from the OT than anything else. I was intrigued at the end of either Deuteronomy or maybe it was Joshua (I forget) bc the Lord was reminding the people to obey Him so things go well for them. But then suddenly the Lord tells them that they are going to disobey Him. Maybe God thought if He predicted what they'd do then they wouldn't do it.

Another big confusion for me is when God led them out of Egypt God did some of His most astounding miracles in all the Bible. I envision myself running away from Pharaoh and his men and suddenly there's a sea in front of us. I would have had a panic attack for sure. But then God causes the waters to part and the ground becomes dry and hard enough for all the people to cross. I was a Scuba diver when I was young and let me assure you the bottom of a body of water is never hard and solid. Even if it's a sandy bottom all of Israel's carts and animals would have gotten stuck. We finally cross and the waters come back drowning all the Egyptians. I imagine if I had seen that and the other wonders God did. If I had seen such things I don't think I would have ever doubted God again. But they did and that blows my mind. God expects us to trust Him, and I do, more so as I've gotten older, but I never saw such amazing miracles. But as we all know, God expects us to trust Him without seeing 1/10 of what the ancient Israelites did. It makes me wonder why God kept helping those people. As I read on I noticed something profound. God overlooked all kinds of sins except one. When the Israelite's worshiped other gods, meaning they sacrificed to them, or even had a statue in their home, the punishment was often death. If the whole nation did it God sent them into exile. They could murder, have fornication, steal, lie about their brothers, or anything else just so long as they didn't get into the foreign gods. Back then, that was totally unacceptable to God. I know why. Those other gods were either nothing or worse yet, they were the fallen angels who rebelled against God and caused a war in heaven. So don't think I don't understand why God became so angry over this.

Here comes my question. Ancient Israel couldn't even have 1 little statue and if they did they died or had an enemy blind them, or something terrible happened. So now here we are today. I should say here I am in 2017. I do much better than I did even 5 yrs ago. I wish I could resist every sin there is 100%. That's where my heart is. But I fail. I wonder which sin or sins God considers totally unacceptable today? In the past few days I felt like God was helping me, but it stopped. I need God to fight for me like Israel did. I did something wrong, and God isn't helping me today.

"Acceptable sins"?

There are not any.

God says..."Be ye HOLY as I Am Holy"......."present your body a living sacrifice to GOD"...."let not sin have control of your body or your behavior".....ect.

However there is only one sin that will cause a person to end up in hell., and that is the sin of "unbelief"....... a "Christ Rejector".

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Act 15:28  NKJV For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:  Act 15:29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality.  If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.

Col 3:5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

1Ti 6:6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain.  1Ti 6:7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 1Ti 6:8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. 1Ti 6:9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.  1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

1Ti 6:11 But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.

All of these had something to do with idolatry, but need to be considered separately as well because these can become gods to us.  Things haven't changed much.  These are still temptations that mankind is prone to.  The goal is to seek the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and to walk humbly with God.  

There are times, though, that we need to just keep doing the things God has already told us to do and trust that He is with us whether we feel Him or not.  He has promised this so we need to believe Him.  We walk by faith in His word.  Sometimes He tests us in this way. 

Also, Don't believe the accusation of the enemy either.  He lies.  

As for the children of Israel, He wasn't too pleased with them, and that is why He let that generation die in the wilderness.  Unbelief and lack of trust.  So you need to trust God during this time of testing as well.  Their trials had to do with being content with God's provision and trusting Him.  Since that is the illustration you provided, be sure that you do the same and trust that He is still with you.  

I learned to swim when I was 5.  They taught us in a shallow pool and then they tested us by telling us to jump in to the 12' deep end of the adults pool.  I asked what I was supposed to do and was told "nothing".  So I did nothing and someone had to jump in and rescue me. lol  They expected me to swim.  God tests us to see what we will do as well.  And we can do nothing without Him.  We are saved by His righteousness, not our own.  But we do still have a desire to live godly lives in Christ Jesus.  So focus on the things you know that God wants you to do--to love others compassionately, to help them and serve them.  

Blessings,

Willa

• Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  11,715
  • Content Per Day:  4.59
  • Days Won:  106

On 5/20/2017 at 5:19 PM, JTC said:

Good job brother keep on reading your bible and keep on praying to the Lord your GOD to JESUS name for he can help you with a sin that troubles you.  Seek his presence :)

I to shall pray for you.  Take care.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

On 5/20/2017 at 7:19 PM, JTC said:

I wish I could resist every sin there is 100%. That's where my heart is. But I fail. I wonder which sin or sins God considers totally unacceptable today? In the past few days I felt like God was helping me, but it stopped. I need God to fight for me like Israel did.

It seems you are diving into temptation, I have had these problems recently...

I talked with Jesus about this, then I have received some information about this matter during this week, and now your post.

Is that acceptable? No, it should never be acceptable. We all must repent, and ask God for help, for us to learn what we did wrong.

"No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." - 1 Corinthians 10:13

Common thoughts that appeared in my mind in moments of temptation:

"But it is for you to give up, go ahead!"

"It is not possible, you let temptation grow. Now it is game over."

"God wants you to lose."

ALL LIES!

God never wants you to sin, giving up should never be acceptable, especially when you are fully aware that what is being offered to you is sin.

We all should be in constant alert and rejecting any shadow of sin long before it turns into a deeper temptation. I think that 100% of the times I entered in temptation it was preceded by tolerating unclean thoughts in my mind.

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just,
whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report,
if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things." - Philippians 4:8

But if things seem too hard, do not give up, run to God, pray willing to defeat it in Jesus' name, and the temptation certainly will go away.

Someone posted about this here.

And very important, seek to live according to the Spirit, not the flesh. Read God's Word, make sure you are willing to win with Jesus, it is very important.

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies. Test all things; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil." 1 Thessalonians 5 - 5:16-22

It made me think a lot about this week. It is a war actually.

I thank Jesus for teaching us everyday, and for his mercy and forgiveness.

Glory to God!

Edited by 4LdKHVCzRDj2

• Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Everyone seems to be misunderstanding this post. Of course all sins are detestable to God. We should all know that. But we all still commit some sins. If we say we aren't we are lying. This is all a given.

In the OT, and with the ancient Jews, they also continued to sin even after seeing miracles like the Red Sea opening up to let them cross. One of the most Godly men in the OT was David but look at what he did. He was punished for his sins but he wasn't killed. However there was 1 sin in the OT that God would not tolerate at all. If a man or group of people did this God usually struck them down dead. That sin was worshiping some other god, and there were many of them. Some of them were nothing but most were evil angels or devils. I personally think Baal was Satan himself. If you made a sacrifice to Baal or 1 of the other gods our God usually killed that person. When a group did it they lost the blessings of God. This doesn't mean God accepted adultery, stealing, lying, murder, etc. but usually the punishment wasn't death. But making a sacrifice to another god often resulted in death. 

So I started wondering which sins are totally unacceptable to God today. This obviously varies with the person. Because to him who knows more, more is expected (Luke 12:48). And there are other verses that mean this also. 

Therefore, we all need to figure out which sins God won't accept from each of us at all. I think I figured out what I did that prompted me to make this post. I can't tell everyone. It's between me and God.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

31 minutes ago, JTC said:

If you made a sacrifice to Baal or 1 of the other gods our God usually killed that person. When a group did it they lost the blessings of God. 

So I started wondering which sins are totally unacceptable to God today. This obviously varies with the person. Because to him who knows more, more is expected (Luke 12:48). And there are other verses that mean this also. 

There are large groups of people who have worshipped other gods, and yes there are examples of God killing some in the bible, there are many that live long lives.  ALL sin is unacceptable to God, it seems you may be trying to rate the severity of different sins somehow?  Scripture tells us there is one sin that is unforgivable, which means that grace is greater than all sin, except the sin of unbelief.  I think I agree with what is behind your question here, but I approach it differently.  Can we strive to know what sins are unacceptable to God and cease from sinning?  Yes.  Is that where the power to be free of the chains of sin comes from?  From striving to cease sinning?  Or does God say, Come, Come to Me, Know Me, accept my grace, and I will change your heart to where you are dead to sin?  I think the changes in my heart have been lacking when I try to change myself, and enormous changes occurred without me even knowing while I just surrendered and followed my desire to know Him.  God bless you JTC, I love reading the subjects you talk about!

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

2 hours ago, JTC said:

Of course all sins are detestable to God. We should all know that. But we all still commit some sins. If we say we aren't we are lying. This is all a given.

Yes, we all sin. But there is a practical difference between occasional sin and purposeful sin.

A quick example to illustrate this:

When we are living our daily life, doing things normally, talking to other people, eating, etc... Did we sin while executing those activities? Yes. Can we say what we did wrong? No, sometimes yes (but it was occasional, unintended).

While in your house, you noticed your neighbor just bought something interesting to you. You wait for the right moment, when he goes to work or somewhere else and you decide to go to his house and steal the item you wanted.

Did you sin by doing that? Yes.

Can you say what you did wrong? Absolutely, you were aware of what you did and you knew it was a sin since the start. You decided to disobey and simply fulfill the desire of your flesh, going contrary to the Will of God.

Edited by 4LdKHVCzRDj2