Yowm

Purgatory

Purgatory

The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines purgatory as a "purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven," which is experienced by those "who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified" (CCC 1030). It notes that "this final purification of the elect . . . is entirely different from the punishment of the damned" (CCC 1031). 

The purification is necessary because, as Scripture teaches, nothing unclean will enter the presence of God in heaven () and, while we may die with our mortal sins forgiven, there can still be many impurities in us, specifically venial sins and the temporal punishment due to sins already forgiven. 

Two Judgments

When we die, we undergo what is called the particular, or individual, judgment. Scripture says that "it is appointed for men to die once, and after that comes judgment" (). We are judged instantly and receive our reward, for good or ill. We know at once what our final destiny will be. At the end of time, when Jesus returns, there will come the general judgment to which the Bible refers, for example, in : "When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats." In this general judgment all our sins will be publicly revealed (). 

Augustine said, in The City of God, that "temporary punishments are suffered by some in this life only, by others after death, by others both now and then; but all of them before that last and strictest judgment" (). It is between the particular and general judgments, then, that the soul is purified of the remaining consequences of sin: "I tell you, you will never get out till you have paid the very last copper" (). (more)

taken from: https://www.catholic.com/tract/purgatory

Here are some verses that indicate another story other than purgatory.

Heb_2:11  For he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one source. That is why he is not ashamed to call them brothers,
Heb_10:10  And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Heb_10:14  For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
()

Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life. ()

And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.
(Luk )

Guest Judas Machabeus
7 minutes ago, Yowm said:

And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Curious. What does paradise mean?

3 minutes ago, Judas Machabeus said:

Curious. What does paradise mean?

In context...where Jesus is.

Guest Judas Machabeus
Just now, Yowm said:

In context...where Jesus is.

Well Jesus was nailed to the cross when he said those words so I don't think it's where Jesus is. 

Just now, Judas Machabeus said:

Well Jesus was nailed to the cross when he said those words so I don't think it's where Jesus is. 

The context says today you WILL BE with me in paradise. Future tense.

Guest Judas Machabeus
1 minute ago, Yowm said:

The context says today you WILL BE with me in paradise. Future tense.

Well he died at 3pm and "today" ends at Sundown so where is paradise?

Well he died at 3pm and "today" ends at Sundown so where is paradise?

Smoke, are you implying Jesus was to suffer in hades/hell?.

The issue is purgatory another false teaching put forward by the Roman Catholic Church.

Guest Judas Machabeus
2 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Smoke, are you implying Jesus was to suffer in hades/hell?.

The issue is purgatory another false teaching put forward by the Roman Catholic Church.

Interesting. Okay. I've asked you twice and you evade the question. That's fine. I'll move on. 

Interesting. Okay. I've asked you twice and you evade the question. That's fine. I'll move on. 

Good. You typically started nit picking at the answers I gave you instead of addressing the issue at hand...which is purgatory, not paradise.

29 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Here are some verses that indicate another story other than purgatory.

Heb_2:11  For he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one source. That is why he is not ashamed to call them brothers,
Heb_10:10  And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Heb_10:14  For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
()

Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life. ()

(Luk )

Purgatory is not Biblical. When a person dies their soul immediately goes to heaven or Hades.