Jayne

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,810
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Had a really good sermon last night from my pastor. It was aimed at Christians and based on Paul's statement in Philippians 3 about striving towards the "high calling of God in Christ Jesus".

He said some profound things.

[1] Much of the church has set the bar for "Christianity" so low that most think, "Why bother?".
[2] And others have taken that low bar and made it some kind of impossible thing and...adding my words here - balk/whine like infants at it.
[3] Walking down a carpet in the sanctuary and shaking the pastor's hand is not a high calling.
[4] Signing a commitment form is not a high calling.

I'll continue in that vein and say this on my own.

[1] Sitting on the same pew every week as if your rear end has a special right to that pew is not a high calling.
[2] Reading your Bible/praying once a week for five minutes is not a high calling.
[3] Saying, "I'll put you on my prayer list" and not doing anything is not a high calling.
[4] Dropping off rat-eaten books and non-functioning pianos and no longer functional clothing, toys, furniture, and more to the local thrift shop or the church is NOT a high calling.

So what is that high calling?

I studied that this morning. I like to look up the meanings of words in Hebrew and Greek - in this case it being in Greek.

In Greek a calling is literally an "invitation". Our call, first of all to be Christians is to be saved in the first place. God draws. He calls. He invites. He initiates. We respond.

Secondly, in my mind, - thinking how Paul was talking about the calling in Philippians 3 - God draws, calls, invites, and initiates for us a life's work for his glory.

And that calling is to be "high".

I looked up that word, too. In Greek, it's literally - "upwards to heaven .... to the brim of something."

It's the same word - literally - that Jesus used when he said "fill the water pots to the brim" when he turned the water into wine. And when it was said that he "lifted up" his eyes and said to the Father, "Thank you for hearing me" as he began to raise Lazarus from the dead. And it's also the same exact word that Paul used when he said, "Set your eyes on "things above" and not earthly things."

We, like Paul, and every other Christian who has lived and who will live, has a high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Last night really convicted me that I am NOT pressing on towards that "high calling". I do not read the Bible enough or pray enough or tend to the needs of others enough or allow God to fill me to the "brim" with his plans for me.

I can be a lazy Christian. I think there are others out there, too.

We need to live our lives filled "to the brim" with that invitational work that God has for us to do. A life well lived for Christ - that's what we need to be about ....

.....because fussing about church music, the color of the carpet, who's bringing the chocolate cake to the fifth Sunday singing, and all the other incidentals we puff up and make mountains out of ....

....there aren't ANY of those molehills that will EVER be tall enough to be considered God's high calling.

Not a single one.

What's your high calling? I can't answer that. But God can.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,197
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

13 hours ago, Jayne said:

Had a really good sermon last night from my pastor. It was aimed at Christians and based on Paul's statement in Philippians 3 about striving towards the "high calling of God in Christ Jesus".

Hi Jayne,

Very interesting topic. Now please allow me to write the few verses leading up to that phrase. The Apostle Paul says -

`...that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings being conformed to His death, if, by any means I may attain to the resurrection of the dead. Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.

Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those which are ahead, I press towards the goal of the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.` (Phil 3: 10 - 14)

Greek word - `ano` meaning upward or on top, above, high.

The high, upward, on top calling, relates to the `reward,` the `inheritance` of believers in the Body of Christ to `attain to the resurrection of the dead,` and be with Christ in the third heaven, ruling and reigning. It is the highest calling amid other callings - Israel and the nations have lower callings to rule in different places than us.

regards, Marilyn.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

He is echoing Dietrich Bonhoeffer who wrote in The Cost of Discipleship, "The church has introduced greasy grace, a grace that is so greasy that it allows people to slip and slide about without having to pay anything." (Paraphrase). Greasy grace was the antidiscipleship, it implies not the normal Grace (Ephesians 2:8-9), but rather a grace that expects Christians to do nothing and even commit the sins Paul confronted in Roman Church in Romans and the Galatia Church in Galatians.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,561
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

A high calling?

Well there are high callings, to spiritual service as a soldier in Christ while here still in the flesh, some higher than others, and so too there are high degrees of responsibility. Not all persons are called to the same standing of responsibility. Not all are gifted in the same manner by the Holy Spirit either. Yet all are cautioned that  in faith there is "works" and that without works that faith is as though it is dead, in fact it is dead. 

Personally I hesitate to make judgement of  a person as a pew sitter, for that person may have only time to sit for that limited time I may see him or her. They may be very busy, quietly tending to the calling God has led them into, and fully engaged as a saint in Jesus,  without my  personal awareness or any knowledge of their faith filled service.

Each saint in Christ Jesus is the servant of another, that other being God. They are not my servant, and so I know I am not to pass judgements upon them, especially so  for I do not truly know them nor what they may do that is between them and God alone.

If my pastor or a teacher / elder exhorts  the local body of Christ to be about the high calling of Christ that is fine, a good thing for my own self review- BUT, I think a very dangerous fault for me  to then engage in  about others. So I will take such an exhortation to my own prayer closet and between the Holy Spirit  my Lord Jesus and God the Father work through  what I am to be doing, what I am to be learning, and what attitude  I need adopt as I may go about my own calling.

It is my attitude towards my calling that may be the most important  attribute I may develop. If I go about in a manner that is haughty  or  even worse perhaps slovenly, I do not honor my lord. It is my heart's attitude more than my hands results I think, but both need be about their business as best they can.

And if the calling  lends me opportunity to clean the restrooms, eight of them,  each day of work at a church, in order to save the expense of  an outside janitorial srvice, then  I need develop a heart for the task, cleaning the toilets in a manner and with an attitude that honors my creator. That is then part of my own "high" calling. And no one will ever see or say; hey, boy those restrooms those toilets are they ever clean places.

Nope, the manner of the works most do, regardless of what it is,  will not be seen nor acclaimed, but by golly, miss a day at whatever it is,  miss a spot somewhere, and there will be an anonymous note in the collection plate next week- Ha, people are such funny creatures, God's mercy upon us, flawed as we are, is awesome!

We received one such note this week. We (several old men) have been working in the oppressive 98 degree heat tearing out old sod working on irrigation systems at  our local church building. It has been a budget buster item so we have been slow in getting it done, though we work hard at what we can about  the need, within our budget constriants. Well we got a note, unsigned, in the collection plate telling us of  "suggestions" as to  how it should look  and what purposes it should serve when  we are done. And another person complained that if; we don't move faster  there will be dust and dirt blowing around for weeks.  

So the point? - Do not expect that  if you do find there is more that  God will have of you to do and you do it that it will be met with outstanding approval and ovation from  fellow saints, for they too do not know what is between you and God. And that is a good thing too. For it then keeps for a better day of account.

Build up treasure in heaven and do not worry  about what is in the sight of man. Develop a heart attitude of joy in all that is done to the Glory of God alone. And then it all becomes if not fun, at least most satisfyingly  grand service as a soldier in Christ Jesus at his post, no matter how low  or how high on the totem pole of service it may be.

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,810
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

5 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

regards, Marilyn.

Yes, that's true.  Thank you.

He did preach on those verses also with one of his points being the prize and high calling described as you have.

I spoke of one of his other points being our high calling as Christians here.

Paul's teachings in Philippians are very powerful and I love to read them over and over.

Thanks for that additional input.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Jayne said:

[1] Much of the church has set the bar for "Christianity" so low that most think, "Why bother?".
[2] And others have taken that low bar and made it some kind of impossible thing and...adding my words here - balk/whine like infants at it.
[3] Walking down a carpet in the sanctuary and shaking the pastor's hand is not a high calling.

[1] Sitting on the same pew every week as if your rear end has a special right to that pew is not a high calling.
[2] Reading your Bible/praying once a week for five minutes is not a high calling.
[3] Saying, "I'll put you on my prayer list" and not doing anything is not a high calling.
[4] Dropping off rat-eaten books and non-functioning pianos and no longer functional clothing, toys, furniture, and more to the local thrift shop or the church is NOT a high calling.

I studied that this morning. I like to look up the meanings of words in Hebrew and Greek - in this case it being in Greek.

In Greek a calling is literally an "invitation". Our call, first of all to be Christians is to be saved in the first place. God draws. He calls. He invites. He initiates. We respond.

Secondly, in my mind, - thinking how Paul was talking about the calling in Philippians 3 - God draws, calls, invites, and initiates for us a life's work for his glory.

I looked up that word, too. In Greek, it's literally - "upwards to heaven .... to the brim of something."

It's the same word - literally - that Jesus used when he said "fill the water pots to the brim" when he turned the water into wine. And when it was said that he "lifted up" his eyes and said to the Father, "Thank you for hearing me" as he began to raise Lazarus from the dead. And it's also the same exact word that Paul used when he said, "Set your eyes on "things above" and not earthly things."

We, like Paul, and every other Christian who has lived and who will live, has a high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Last night really convicted me that I am NOT pressing on towards that "high calling". I do not read the Bible enough or pray enough or tend to the needs of others enough or allow God to fill me to the "brim" with his plans for me.

We need to live our lives filled "to the brim" with that invitational work that God has for us to do. A life well lived for Christ - that's what we need to be about ....

.....because fussing about church music, the color of the carpet, who's bringing the chocolate cake to the fifth Sunday singing, and all the other incidentals we puff up and make mountains out of ....

....there aren't ANY of those molehills that will EVER be tall enough to be considered God's high calling.

Not a single one.

Thank you for this.

I have received a similar message today.

The higher calling was as you described (and/or the sermon did). It's God's calling. Him granting us his permission to be as he wants us as well as us receiving and giving him permission to use us. It is for us to remove what we know of ourselves and let him fill us with him. We are to lift our eyes to heaven, empty ourselves, let him fill us and then we can do here on earth what he directs from heaven. In doing so we can bring heaven to earth by allow him to do so through us. (I am paraphasing the word I recieved and doing a poor job of it). 

Forgive me if I may seem a bit distorted. I am still talking in the powerful message he has delivered to me. It was so inspirational and knowledgeable as to the higher calling he has for those he deems his warriors.

I fear I can't live up to this, but he also shined light on that. Stating when we are able to think as he does and do as he directs, we must remember we fight on the side of victory. For he has already won this fight, so we should not fear for victory as it is already his and ours through him.

I do this message no justice. I will definitely look for it again. Through Paul and the source which I recieved today.

Thank You Jayne!

Your post served as a confirmation to some messages for me.

Stay Blessed.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1

On 5/22/2017 at 1:27 PM, Jayne said:

Not a single one.

What a wonderfully refreshing post. Bless you. 

I believe God's higher calling is spoken of in Luke 14. If we aren't ready to surrender everything we are , know ourselves to be, and everyone we also adore as friends or love as family, to follow where God's voice leads, we cannot be his disciples. 

When nothing else matters but doing what God asks, I think that's when we know we have his calling in our hearts. What we do after that is up to us. God awaits.