• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, Reading? As in a book rather than a Bible verse passage or book of the Bible?

Absolutely nothing right now. For I am awaiting the arrival of Clarence Larkin's "Dispensational Truth". It was out of print  but  the publisher was to print last week.

I have scheduled myself to have a full two months leave of absence from work , and intend to do  some reading studying and relaxing. So  please continue to share. I'm looking for reading ideas. Thanks

I agree, Neighbor, it is great seeing what other people are reading. I grew up in a house, with a lot of books. I still find when I go to someone's house, one of the first things I do is see if they have books, and if so, look to see if there is anything interesting to read. I hope you enjoy two months off to refresh. Blessings.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  726
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/30/1974

19 minutes ago, Annette said:

I have heard about it but not read it yet. Have you?

Yeah I read it a few years back.  Its a good book.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Ravi Zacharias is one of the world's foremost Christian apologists.  He has spent most of his life going around the world, spreading the gospel and defending it against attackers.  I have read quite a few of his books.  This particular one is kind of a follow-up to one he wrote years ago.  It was called Jesus Among Other Gods.  In it, he did a comparison of Christianity with Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism.  It's good, too.

He also has podcasts available through iTunes from the talks he delivers all around the world. 

11 hours ago, da_man1974 said:

Have you guys read a case for faith by lee strobel

Yes.  He interviews some of the best re: different arguments for the existence of God.  I have read his Case for Christ as well.  He has more books, but I haven't gotten around to them as of yet.  He's a journalist by trade so he writes clearly for a general audience, not an academic one.  He's a good one to recommend to people who don't want something you need a Ph.D to understand.

12 hours ago, da_man1974 said:

Im not following a program. I just read till i stop. 

There is tons in proverbs that speaks out. I read it every so often

I recall hearing David Jeremiah recommend the reading of Proverbs every day.  It has enough chapters that one can read a chapter a day for a month -- and then start back at the beginning for another month. 

That's the beautiful thing about the Bible.  It's like a gold mine.  You can dig out gold day after day after day and the mine never runs out.

5 minutes ago, daughterofGrace said:

I recall hearing David Jeremiah recommend the reading of Proverbs every day.  It has enough chapters that one can read a chapter a day for a month -- and then start back at the beginning for another month. 

That's the beautiful thing about the Bible.  It's like a gold mine.  You can dig out gold day after day after day and the mine never runs out.

Yeah I did that chapter a day thing.  The only thing I don't like about the Bible reading programs is I noticed myself just having to get through that verse/chapter of the day.  I have a pastor friend who told me to read until something speaks.  It may be 2 or 3 chapters or it may be a single verse.  I had found that method to be much more fulfilling for me personally.

16 minutes ago, da_man1974 said:

Yeah I did that chapter a day thing.  The only thing I don't like about the Bible reading programs is I noticed myself just having to get through that verse/chapter of the day.  I have a pastor friend who told me to read until something speaks.  It may be 2 or 3 chapters or it may be a single verse.  I had found that method to be much more fulfilling for me personally.

I agree with your friend.  I don't follow Bible reading programs either.  I think the purpose of them is to help people make sure they are in the Word regularly even if it's only for a short period of time.  Sometimes we get so busy that spending time in Scripture gets squeezed out of a day.  The Bible reading programs have a structure that some need more than others.

11 minutes ago, daughterofGrace said:

I agree with your friend.  I don't follow Bible reading programs either.  I think the purpose of them is to help people make sure they are in the Word regularly even if it's only for a short period of time.  Sometimes we get so busy that spending time in Scripture gets squeezed out of a day.  The Bible reading programs have a structure that some need more than others.

Yes that is true.  They work very well for some people.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1

17 hours ago, Annette said:

That definitely looks like something worth reading. I guess there is always so much that goes on behind the scenes, that most of us, like me, are unaware of. I appreciate you taking the time to share a bit of what it is about. 

My pleasure. :) If you get a copy let me know what you think. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, PlanetChee said:

My pleasure. :) If you get a copy let me know what you think. 

I will do. I am torn between getting this, or Case for Christ. I am sure my dad would enjoy it too.