• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, warrior12 said:

Hi SisterActs2

Certainly, Pligrim's progress is a wonderful allegory which if you put it into perspective, is not far from that reality.   I especially love the opening of the first chapter of the book where Christian decided that he had to leave at all cost, leaving behind wife and all those who stuttered.   

Watchman Nee wrote books that i enjoy too, though some has labeled him as a cult, which i have not found his writing to be.  He had an associate that took over his ministry who introduced some of his own opinions that is subjected to all kind of criticism.

Here is a link to Watchman Nee full collection of books that you can read online or download for free.  Anyone can then criticize his writing.   

You know a while back when i first joined here and i mentioned books, i got negative remarks as to the tune that they only need the Bible and why read books.   Books are not to replace the Bible, but i think God has blessed some with gifts to put words to paper and do it well.  Every man has to navigate this life and has to choose wisely how he walk and so too how and what he reads.  

http://www.watchmannee.org/life-ministry.html

You are so right about reading other things than the Bible.  Of course we should make it a priority.  But as you say, other books can bless us as we attempt to navigate through life.  Other people who have walked the same path can share what they have learned, how God has guided them, etc.  I always find that encouraging.

And I think it's a shame if people don't read non-Christian books, too.  I love history.  Right now I am reading Anthony Beevor's The Second World War.  It's mammoth and may take me a month to read as I go back and forth from it to the Christian books that are a steady part of my literary diet. 

As they say -- so many books, so little time . . . .

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  1

15 minutes ago, daughterofGrace said:

I agree with you.  I love to listen to books. 

Christianaudio.com offers a lot of Christian audiobooks, but I don't have the money to spend on it right now.  If I did, I would definitely subscribe.

I know what you mean. I check my library to see what they have. And they have a loan program that borrows from libraries around the country if a patron requests. You might check the books you like at Christian audiobooks and see if the library near you has a copy. Or can borrow from another donor. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

1 hour ago, PlanetChee said:

I know what you mean. I check my library to see what they have. And they have a loan program that borrows from libraries around the country if a patron requests. You might check the books you like at Christian audiobooks and see if the library near you has a copy. Or can borrow from another donor. 

Good suggestions, PlanetChee.  Thank you!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

8 hours ago, daughterofGrace said:

Almost done the Zacharias book.  Next on tap -- two books by Nabeel Qureshi.  I read his Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus some time ago.  In it, he talks about how he left Islam and became a Christian.  The two I am going to read now are entitled Answering Jihad and No God But One:  Allah or Jesus?

Qureshi is currently battling stomach cancer.  He was diagnosed with it last summer, has had treatment, but the cancer remains.  He is only in his early '30s and has a young daughter to raise.  He says he isn't afraid to die because he knows he would go to be with the Lord.  And he says there are plenty of people to take up his ministry to Muslims, but he doesn't want his daughter to grow up without her dad. 

He has a vlog available on Youtube.  Really good stuff.  I recommend it to one and all.

Additionally, it would be great if people here would add him to their prayers. 

This guy Qureshi is a young man whose background on how he came to Christ is very interesting.  I have watched a couple of videos that included him and some of his debates with the Muslim scholars .   Some may know the name David Wood, who has or had a call in show, where he mainly ministered to Muslims to show the errors in the Koran.  Qureshi and David were friends studying medicine, and through David witnessing, Qureshi came to Christ.  edit. this last sentence i need to verify again, as it may  not be the case.  I will clarify as i look again at his testimony. 

Qureshi is very well educated and is a medical doctor also.  After his born again status, he really heeded the call to witness and did debates and written books ect.  Last i heard of him, he was with Ravi Zechariah ministry and then i heard about his cancer, i believe that was at stage 3 i think.   Certainly, he is a good solider in reaching out to his former Muslim brothers and yes, lets keep him in our prayers.   See YT for some of his videos.  May God bless and favor him.

Edited by warrior12

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  7

11 hours ago, SisterActs2 said:

Hi warrior12

There are 2 people at the moment I am talking to about giving full control of their lives over to the Lord.  I have told both of them I am getting them a copy of Pilgrim's Progress.  Praise the Lord for this book!  I also love Watchman Nee.  My husband reads a Proverb a day, and I keep myself in the Old Testament and the New Testament every day (missed this morning (!)).  Just bought Basil Miller's book on George Muller.

Hi SisterActs2, it was such an encouragement to read about you and your husband. It is great to see that you are working with people who want to dedicate their lives to the Lord. Thank you for the example you and your husband are setting. Blessings. :emot-handshake:

On 5/24/2017 at 8:51 AM, da_man1974 said:

Yeah I read it a few years back.  Its a good book.

The thing I like about some of these books is that they give us some background or further information as to why we may already think a certain way. In life, we are not always going to come across someone with the same ideas as we have and having read them, it may help us explain our ideas with them. 

You started a good topic here da_man1974. Blessings. :read:

On 5/24/2017 at 4:31 PM, warrior12 said:

I have always read and thought that the second most read book to the Bible is  as below.  Online search seems to bring up different ones.

Not taking anything away from Oswald Chambers, as he has written well and My utmost for His Highest is awesome.

There is no argument he’s the best-selling human author of all time.

His name was John Bunyan. He was a 17th century tinker – a mender of pots and pans – and wrote his greatest works while imprisoned for his Christian beliefs.

His “Pilgrim’s Progress” is second only to the Bible in the number of copies it has sold worldwide. It has even been called “the second best book in all the world.”

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2008/06/42035/#U0vOBIhSAGouiCcO.99

Hey Warrior12, Thanks for letting us know about Pilgrim's Progress. I was listening to it a while ago and never finished it. Do you do much reading?

Blessings. :read:

10 hours ago, daughterofGrace said:

Almost done the Zacharias book.  Next on tap -- two books by Nabeel Qureshi.  I read his Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus some time ago.  In it, he talks about how he left Islam and became a Christian.  The two I am going to read now are entitled Answering Jihad and No God But One:  Allah or Jesus?

Qureshi is currently battling stomach cancer.  He was diagnosed with it last summer, has had treatment, but the cancer remains.  He is only in his early '30s and has a young daughter to raise.  He says he isn't afraid to die because he knows he would go to be with the Lord.  And he says there are plenty of people to take up his ministry to Muslims, but he doesn't want his daughter to grow up without her dad. 

He has a vlog available on Youtube.  Really good stuff.  I recommend it to one and all.

Additionally, it would be great if people here would add him to their prayers. 

Hi DaughterOfGrace, it sounds as if you will be busy this next while, getting through your next books. Thanks for the information and update. Will be praying. It will be good to hear how the reading comes along. Blessings. :emot-dance:

11 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Hi SisterActs2

Certainly, Pligrim's progress is a wonderful allegory which if you put it into perspective, is not far from that reality.   I especially love the opening of the first chapter of the book where Christian decided that he had to leave at all cost, leaving behind wife and all those who stuttered.   

Watchman Nee wrote books that i enjoy too, though some has labeled him as a cult, which i have not found his writing to be.  He had an associate that took over his ministry who introduced some of his own opinions that is subjected to all kind of criticism.

Here is a link to Watchman Nee full collection of books that you can read online or download for free.  Anyone can then criticize his writing.   

You know a while back when i first joined here and i mentioned books, i got negative remarks as to the tune that they only need the Bible and why read books.   Books are not to replace the Bible, but i think God has blessed some with gifts to put words to paper and do it well.  Every man has to navigate this life and has to choose wisely how he walk and so too how and what he reads.  

http://www.watchmannee.org/life-ministry.html

Hey Warrior12, I saw your comment on receiving a negative comment when mentioning books. And like your answer, if we are reading books as a supplement and not to replace the Word of God, and it helps our understanding of things, I am all for it. However, neither do I see a reason to cause an argument with someone who is against reading other books. Blessings. :read:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

31 minutes ago, Annette said:

Hey Warrior12, Thanks for letting us know about Pilgrim's Progress. I was listening to it a while ago and never finished it. Do you do much reading?

Blessings. :read:

Hi Annette.   I don't read much nowadays, as i would like to.   I have been through so much things spiritually, that it drains me a lot and i mean a lot, plus as my eyes are no longer able to sustain long periods concentrating.   I like books from the puritan era, like Bunyan, Thomas Brooks, Richard Baxter.  There is so much good stuff that i wish i could read them all.   There is one particular book titled  " The Christian In CompleteArmor" by William Gurnall, that i would like to complete, but could never settle in to do so, as i found it as to be read constantly and  not quite that easy to understand.  

By the way, read as much as you can when your eyes are in good shape. After 40-45[that is the rough figure], it seems to be a downhill battle for most, so i have been told and found to be true for me.

Edited by warrior12