• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

Hi Annette

You are such an encouraging person!  I love your posts.  Keep 'em coming sister.  I forgot to mention that I also love anything that John wrote.  I read his gospel and letters over and over.  Psalm 91 is my favourite.  God bless you, can't wait to meet you all in glory!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  726
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/30/1974

12 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Hi SisterActs2

Certainly, Pligrim's progress is a wonderful allegory which if you put it into perspective, is not far from that reality.   I especially love the opening of the first chapter of the book where Christian decided that he had to leave at all cost, leaving behind wife and all those who stuttered.   

Watchman Nee wrote books that i enjoy too, though some has labeled him as a cult, which i have not found his writing to be.  He had an associate that took over his ministry who introduced some of his own opinions that is subjected to all kind of criticism.

Here is a link to Watchman Nee full collection of books that you can read online or download for free.  Anyone can then criticize his writing.   

You know a while back when i first joined here and i mentioned books, i got negative remarks as to the tune that they only need the Bible and why read books.   Books are not to replace the Bible, but i think God has blessed some with gifts to put words to paper and do it well.  Every man has to navigate this life and has to choose wisely how he walk and so too how and what he reads.  

http://www.watchmannee.org/life-ministry.html

Why would someone criticize for reading other books?  I read tons of books besides the bible. I think they give great insight into what is written. And i like fiction books too. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,412
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

25 minutes ago, da_man1974 said:

Why would someone criticize for reading other books?  I read tons of books besides the bible. I think they give great insight into what is written. And i like fiction books too. 

The replies i got was that the Bible had everything that was needed and some were burned or led in the wrong direction by the writings of others.  I will let those speak for themselves. 

A.W Tozer  is another good writer.    "The Pursuit Of God" is a nice read.  Another  "This world playground or battleground " is nice too.

If you like Fiction, which i seldom read, then check this book, you would like this.

Search Results

In His Steps - Wikipedia

In His Steps is a best-selling religious fiction novel written by Charles Monroe Sheldon. First published in 1896, the book has sold more than 30,000,000 copies, and ranks as one of the best-selling books of all time. The full title of the book is In His Steps: What Would Jesus Do? .... Challenged by what has happened in Raymond, does similarly in Chicago
Edited by warrior12

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

The Bible is all we need for sound doctrine and spiritual nourishment. Other devotionals can be helpful, I like The Imitation of Christ myself, but they must be examined and assessed via Scripture especially when it deviates or goes into realm Bible is silent on. Devotionals can be helpful or harmful.

But other books help us see things, history, sociology, fiction, and etc. can be used by Christ help us know more about people and their cultures. If you are going to China, India, or Africa, shouldn't you know something about those places, history, beliefs, and people?

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

20 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Hi Annette.   I don't read much nowadays, as i would like to.   I have been through so much things spiritually, that it drains me a lot and i mean a lot, plus as my eyes are no longer able to sustain long periods concentrating.   I like books from the puritan era, like Bunyan, Thomas Brooks, Richard Baxter.  There is so much good stuff that i wish i could read them all.   There is one particular book titled  " The Christian In CompleteArmor" by William Gurnall, that i would like to complete, but could never settle in to do so, as i found it as to be read constantly and  not quite that easy to understand.  

By the way, read as much as you can when your eyes are in good shape. After 40-45[that is the rough figure], it seems to be a downhill battle for most, so i have been told and found to be true for me.

I totally get the problem with the eyes, that come with each passing Christmas that goes by. I have had to come to terms with using glasses.  It's interesting how one era can stand out to a person. I always tended to avoid history, until a lecturer made it come alive. Trust you have a good weekend. Blessing. :101:

On 5/24/2017 at 9:20 AM, daughterofGrace said:

Yes.  He interviews some of the best re: different arguments for the existence of God.  I have read his Case for Christ as well.  He has more books, but I haven't gotten around to them as of yet.  He's a journalist by trade so he writes clearly for a general audience, not an academic one.  He's a good one to recommend to people who don't want something you need a Ph.D to understand.

Hey DaughterOfGrace, I am up for books that I can read and understand. I do know that some people enjoy more in depth reading. Blessings.

On 5/25/2017 at 10:57 AM, PlanetChee said:

I know what you mean. I check my library to see what they have. And they have a loan program that borrows from libraries around the country if a patron requests. You might check the books you like at Christian audiobooks and see if the library near you has a copy. Or can borrow from another donor. 

I hadn't thought about audio books from the library. Thank you.

On 5/25/2017 at 9:45 PM, SisterActs2 said:

Hi Annette

You are such an encouraging person!  I love your posts.  Keep 'em coming sister.  I forgot to mention that I also love anything that John wrote.  I read his gospel and letters over and over.  Psalm 91 is my favourite.  God bless you, can't wait to meet you all in glory!

Thanks SisterActs2,

It is good to hear from you. 

It is so nice to get to meet and interact with people in this group.

I enjoy finding out about people. So reading details like you enjoying John and Psalms 91, is special.

My father in law has memorized Psalm 91, and uses it as a prayer before traveling.

One of my favorites at the moment is Psalm One.

I trust you will have a good week. Blessings.:)

On 5/25/2017 at 10:16 PM, warrior12 said:

The replies i got was that the Bible had everything that was needed and some were burned or led in the wrong direction by the writings of others.  I will let those speak for themselves. 

A.W Tozer  is another good writer.    "The Pursuit Of God" is a nice read.  Another  "This world playground or battleground " is nice too.

If you like Fiction, which i seldom read, then check this book, you would like this.

Search Results

In His Steps - Wikipedia

In His Steps is a best-selling religious fiction novel written by Charles Monroe Sheldon. First published in 1896, the book has sold more than 30,000,000 copies, and ranks as one of the best-selling books of all time. The full title of the book is In His Steps: What Would Jesus Do? .... Challenged by what has happened in Raymond, does similarly in Chicago

Hi Warrior12,

It is great looking through this post and see all the suggestions that people are making. Thanks for sharing. Blessings. 

On 5/26/2017 at 2:03 AM, Fidei Defensor said:

The Bible is all we need for sound doctrine and spiritual nourishment. Other devotionals can be helpful, I like The Imitation of Christ myself, but they must be examined and assessed via Scripture especially when it deviates or goes into realm Bible is silent on. Devotionals can be helpful or harmful.

But other books help us see things, history, sociology, fiction, and etc. can be used by Christ help us know more about people and their cultures. If you are going to China, India, or Africa, shouldn't you know something about those places, history, beliefs, and people?

Hi Fidei, It was good to read your post. And I agree with you, the Bible should remain our guide. And we need to go back to it as our guide.

I also liked your idea of reading to  findout more about places you want travel. 

Blessings.